Apple announces a new Ultrabook... sort of

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Jun 18, 2014.

?

If you were given $1099 and had to pick one of these choices, which would you take?

1. I would buy the 11" MacBook Air with 256 GB SSD.

17.6%
  2. I would buy the computer Apple announced today.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would buy 2 [URL="http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18583"]Steam Bauxes[/URL].

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would build a PC.

58.8%
  5. I would give the money to Spartacus.

23.5%
  1. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Apple announced a new computer today, featuring the following specifications:
    • 1080p display
    • 1.4 GHz dual-core Core i5 (boost up to 2.7 GHz) with HD 5000 [likely the i5-4260U]
    • 8 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    • 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD
    All for $1099. Is it a sudden MacBook Air update?

No! It's a lower-cost iMac that has been rumored for some time. But unlike the other iMacs which have been using desktop CPUs for a while, this iMac looks like a MacBook Air with a larger display and an HDD instead of an SSD, hardware-wise.

I'm not sure why Apple made this decision with the specs. If the CPU is a 4260U then it costs $60 more than the 4570R used in the cheapest iMac (Apple could be getting different prices, but I doubt that they are getting the 4260U cheaper than the 4570R). Although we all know that Apple likes thin, there is no sign that the new iMac is any thinner than the other ones (in fact it looks like it's the same), even though given its specs Apple could probably remove a lot of the bulge in the back. Maybe they are waiting to transition all the iMacs to mobile CPUs to make the case thinner, and this iMac is the first step.

I was hoping for at least an update like April's MacBook Air update, where the specs stay similar but all the prices drop.

The other iMac models appear untouched, and the rumored Retina iMac still has not materialized (although a release this week for that was a long shot). Yeah, your dreams of a simulated 6K display are still unfulfilled for now.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Needs moar ghz, cores and Linux to attract neckbeards. For 90% of mainstream users though the specs are fine and now they get a cheaper option to enter Apple's wonderland.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

That price for that hardware... thats like wanting 10k for a 10 year old honda civic

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I never understood the hype around apple, seriously. What they delivered was a polished nice product, good interface good hardware. But the price jezus fuck. If you look at other brands their super high end products are nicely polished better hardware good interface everything but lower price. Fuck apple overpricing everything to shit making people believe if it doesnt cost enormous money it isnt good.

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

>dual core
    >2014
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>why

6. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I would love a mediocre laptop with horrible design flaws and an even more mediocre operating system. That would be a good use of my money.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

We should release our own electronic product line and call it Orange.

All of our shit will run on linux and have a windows gui.

We will import workers from white collar countries so we can blow their cheap Chinese labor out of the water.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. McGyver

You just described every 500$ laptop running Windows 8 out there.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Apple is actually very cost competitive in multiple "high end" markets. Check out the work stations, those go for a pretty penny regardless of the name in the box. AIOs are similar. Their tablets and phones are competitively priced as well.

People get confused because Apple doesn't do cheap shitboxes.

10. Paradox

No its not, if you get 2 high end laptops same specs. or similar specs apple is going to cost you shittons more. I know cause I was considering buying one but then I saw the differences, mfw.

11. ImSpartacus

Apple only sells ultrabooks or machines very similar to ultrabooks. Those aren't cheap.

I doubt you can find an ultrabook or ultrabook-like machine that is significantly cheaper than the equivalent Apple offering without sacrificing something major (often battery life or graphics).

12. Paradox

Sure man, apple fanboy. 2000 euros for a laptop that isnt even super high end on the hardware end is fucking stupid.

13. McGyver

There is absolutely nothing that beats a MacBook Pro in the Windows world that is in the same price range. Laptops are more than just their spec sheet, we had to wait for Apple to show us that. Things like a good trackpad, battery life, silent cooling, display quality and most importantly OS support for HiDPI are not on the spec sheet but that is what makes a laptop enjoyable day to day.

14. Paradox

HP envy and spectre.

edit: I just checked again, and the standard 2000 euro fucking macbook pro 15 inch is only 8 gigs of ram, 256 ssd without even a dedicated graphics card.
    The one with the graphics card costs 2600. If I wanted to get fucked in my ass for that price i'd rather get fucked by razer's blade which has a 870 compared to the 750 in the macbook. Plus a fifth generation i7. And it costs 400 less than your macbook.

People who buy shit laptops for 500 complaining about it being shit and then buying a macbook that is 5 times more expensive saying its better are just fucking stupid. If you only did your research and bought a laptop of 1.5k you'd be pretty happy too with that one. But 1.5k is too expensive for NON apple laptops amirite. Fucking fanboys go die.

MSI GS60:
    This fucking machine blows your macbook out of the water.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  15. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

How about everything that isn't a flimsy piece of aluminium.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

And here was I, thinking that after two threads, that I was the only one saying Apples prices suck dick.
    Where were you guys?

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Stop using macs you appledrone, that laptop is objectively shit, for that money you could buy yourself a cheap car with lots of miles from the 90s, or build a PC that can actually do shit with that 8 gigabytes of ram. "but m-muh video rendering". I didn't even read your post despite quoting the whole thing, because I know it's probably just apple fanboyism. I'm laughing here at the idea of selling a 1080p monitor with a bargain bin gpu and a low performance cpu, so you can't really use that 1080p for gaming on the already limited library of video games for mac, and after a couple of years it'll probably start shtting itself when it tries to playback a 1080p film. This whole laptop is only powerful enough to browse facebook, if you buy this you are a supreme goy.

18. ImSpartacus

Troll harder, bro.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Wait wait, that text says its 1099 holla holla get dorra, but then it says its a cheaper macbook?
    Just how fucking expensive is that thing??
    I mean, jesus I got my really shiny rig for like 800(~) dorra equivalent and that was 6 months ago.

20. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Not really a troll if he's telling the truth, is it?