Anti tank rifle.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Then give scout anti tank rifle!
    I really want that rifle.
    Think about it...
    Vrrrrummmm(tank possibbly injured)
    Qwapow!(gun shot)
    Boom!(tank)
    :)

Perhaps special purches able weapon from armory.
    that open whole new possibillitys

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

...why not just give the GRENAIDER the anti-tank rifle?

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

No, what I mean is the RPG = the mortar. So if you take away the RPG, you take the mortar. And all you have then is a guy who can place and defuse mines with a shotgun and a pistol. [​IMG]

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I would give the AT Rifle to the Rifleman; thats the only class that is totaly useless against veichles...

Grenadier: Anything from mines to mowtar, to rockets...
    Engy: The trusty gameboy plus grenades, and the ML turret...
    Scout: It is already being revamped, to something else, cant suggest anything until we see the new scout in action
    Rifleman: Grenade? O.o;;

Sure; this game is about teamwork, there is no question about that, but even at that each class is not supposed to be "Totaly hepless" in ANY situation, each class can do what another class can, but alot worse...

As an example, take the Engineer, builds bases like there is no tomorrow; relativley fast too... Now compare that to say.... a grenadier, sure they can build the base as well, but they will not be as nearly effective as the engineer, but if they have to they can still do it...

Take infantry killing; any class can do that no problem. Grenadiers use the mortar/pistol, engies use the smg/pistol, scouts use the scout rifle+ pistol, riflemen use deathrays + pistol. So any class can hold more or less their own in an infantry fight... Except the Rifleman who can do that and then some...

Tank Killing (I will not be mentioning the scout, since the devs are already revamping it into something diffrent, and we don't know what it will be, so I will leave it be): Engineers can plop down a turret, build it or they can spam nades (Ammo box, spamm till its dead) they can run up and deconstruct the tank. Grenadiers well, they can use anything from running up suicide mining, mowtar, sniper rocket launcher... Obviously they are made to kill tanks... Riflemen, well sure they can throw some nades that will damage the tank slightly but they don't have an endless supply like the engineers do, so they can't spam till its dead...

Suggestions: The rifleman is supposed to be an infantry killer no matter what weapon it chooses (Much like the grenadier is primarly a tank killer); so why not give the heavy MG, the ability to slightly damage armor... This way they are still able to mop down infantry no problem like they should, but now they become a thorn in the side of a tank as well. Sure a lone Heavy MGer has 0 chance to take down an entire tank with a gun, but atleast they have 100% chance to do some damage to the tank, and if the tank is ignorant and or damaged, they can kill the tank...

This wont cause any unbalance issues, as the damage will be slight, this will bring more use to the heavy MG... and give the rifleman an ability that everyone else has; kill tanks...

As an alternative, like previously suggested some sort of an under barrel grenade launcher could be usefull too (As a trade of, if this one gets implemented, the rifleman gets no regular nades) With that they will be able to shoot the tank straight on without worrying of it driving off and the grenade exploding too late...

For those who don't want to read that, here is a summary: Give the rifleman some sort of an AT capability, because every other class has a sure way of killing a veichle; while still able to do their primary tasks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  5. arklansman

arklansman Member

I know, I meant if we give the grenadier the AT rifle, then we'll need a replacement for the mortar. ;)

6. Simon

Simon Banned

Seems like alot of work to bring in a new weapon and balance it without much gain... Infantry anti-tank is fine as is.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yeah, but we like to waste forum space.

8. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

I can waste more space.
    What is the IRC Chatroom again?

Okay for real, I think someone should be able to use an anti-tank gun that does about as much damage as a HE MG. Those are weak and should be handhold.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Shinzon, do you mean Heavy Rifle or Heavy MG? I think the Heavy Rifle is better suited to the role. I wouldn't mind it doing some damage to tanks. Could it at least be tested on the R&D server?

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The Heavy Machine Gun; that third one with the buttloada of ammo...

11. Seraph

Seraph Member

I say give the gren the anti-vehicle rifle, it would essentially be a more covert version of the rocket launcher.

So...
    Choose A. Mortar and Rockets or B. AT Rifle.
    The rifle has a 5 round clip and has a fire rate about like the scout's rifle. No zoom, but moderate accuracy.
    The damage done by the rifle is 1/2 (maybe 1/3) the damage of the rocket to tanks and 1/3 (maybe 1/4) of the damage to infantry that the scout rifle currently does.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Ok yuo guys Are over thinking this a little.
    Let Empires do the balencing.
    Im just eager for that loud BANG!

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Just an expansion on this idea, not sure how it would work out.

For the grenadier, to replace the rocket launcher, a kind of Eraser-style rifle, with an x-ray scope. Basically, it allows you to see inside the vehicle. From there you fire a single high-powered round, taking out the driver but leaving the vehicle relatively undamaged.

Would be very annoying for the driver, but atm there's no way to harm somebody who's inside a tank. Maybe it could just cause them to lose health slowly, forcing them to fall back and seek medical attention.

14. Beerdude26

Well, you seem a bit out of date :p

They do LOADS of damage to tanks. One rifleman nade on vanilla light tank = no armor left on that side. If timed well, you can easily take down a vanilla enemy tank with grenades, or severely damage an upgraded one. Too bad not a lot of people know this.

That seems like a fair trade-off, but don't give the nades a long firing distance, because I don't want to get pwnt by a mortaring rifleman from afar. Maybe have it do less damage (80 damage) with the same splash radius?

15. thaile

thaile Member

Very True, It just depends on where the vehicle is when the nades goes off. For example an vanilla light tanks only takes 3 engineer nades, if properly place, to destroy.

As for the AT rifle, I say give it to the nader to replace the rpg. Have it do the less damage to tanks as a rocket and reload speed of an scout rifle, but ignore armor and damages the hull directly, but as a draw back have it do no damage to buildings.

This way the nader becomes an more effective antitank in the late game, but at the cost of its anti-building role.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I say it should be one of the researchable weapons, when that is implemented.

17. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I rember only 2 incidents when I was killed or seriously injured by a grenade...

Most of the times I just drive off... and laugh as the grenade explodes in the distance...

18. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I do think it would be fun to snipe tanks to death from across the map with this.

19. Beerdude26

Well, it wouldn't be THAT fast :p

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I still think that an underbarrel GL for the rifleman, would be the best way to go...

Ofcourse to hit anything you will have to arc fairly far up (Nowhere near the maximum range of the mowtar; maybe 1/4, but thats already pushing it)

Not only that will increase the damage that can be done to infantry (A quick way to disperse dug in enemies, while still not calling in the grenadier; ofcourse the damage on the GL should be around 80 as beerdude suggested; and have a smaller splash radius compared to the mortar) and give the rifleman a direct way to damage a tank; instead of praying for the grenades exploding on time...