Why do we never play on Epic?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Guns and Wham-O

Guns and Wham-O Banned

I have experienced EPIC's lag spike and much of the server felt it as well. It feels as if the server's CPU is getting hung on a process or something.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Thanks for proving the point I was trying to make to paradox.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

U DONT HAVE TO DO IT ANYMORE FAGGOT I
    ASKED SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY GOSH

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Having the empires' jenkins automated build and game servers running on the same box is a definite no no imo. :headshot:
    I could try increasing the process priority of the empires server but I can't really do any kind of testing being as no one plays empires any more anyway.

EDIT: It's already running on high priority lol......

Does your ping go up to 999+ with these lag spikes?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  5. Deiform

Deiform Member

I say that we put a big 'Play On Official Server' button on the menu that automatically goes to the EPIC server. That'll get more on EPIC and with more people we could fix the lag problems faster.

But then the added traffic would make our other servers slower so maybe just stay on VIPER...

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

So the Empires build box is preventing people from playing on EPIC because of the lag spikes? Oh the irony!

7. chrono

chrono Member

i have lower latency in epic, its ideal for me. though i havent lpayed much in a while

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Except that's retarded because EPIC isn't an official server, but people would think it is if you do that, so when they play on a laggy motherfucker they think to themselves "wow the devs can't even host servers".

9. chrono

chrono Member

yes but it is a good idea if it direct them to a good server.
    its VERY good suggestion for raising player count. seriously.

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

For a person that joined somewhere round the time, you sure dont remember that napalms+ was titled as the official empires server.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

And it was retarted back then too.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

But thats my point as well.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Uh no, when I joined Napalm's server was called G4TC Main, only right after the steam release was it called official (and it had those ||) and only for that short time was it considered the Official server probably because Trickster was at the time the de-facto face of Empires devs. Ever since pretty much changing owners and being renamed to EPIC it pretty much is not the official server. Especially if VIPER gets more traffic than it.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There was a time after Steam release where we set the server to as good as 100% stock. We had only official maps, official settings, no extra plugins. For that time, we decided to make it the "Official" server as it was completely vanilla. Once it started getting customised again, it went back to being G4TC main or Napalm's funhouse or whatever we ended up calling it. Then eventually Napalm let the box expire and I got one of my own, which then became EPIC server.

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

No not necessarily, I don't know what is lagging it.

And it was laggy and horrible because none of us knew what we where doing with setting the correct server rates, the server's cpu idled at 90C and the hard drive had thousands of bad sectors at the end of the disk causing it to freeze up all the time (was that bad the even disk utilities like chkdsk would never complete).
    I started off know absolutely nothing about running servers, sometimes I wish I had started back then with the knowledge of running servers that I have now.
    Things would have been so much better (although I doubt I could have made it work well on the kimsufi box with it's exploding hardware).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  16. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

It has been almost two years since the inception of G server. You guys remember that? I really think it could have been a great server, assuming that it would have been able to get to a state as stable as Viper or even Epic. The problems was that people didn't give Rawr enough time to keep configuring it to get the optimal performance out of it. The hardware was better than that of Viper so it was most likely a matter of tweaking to get it to run better. That is unless it was an issue with the up speeds, cannot recall how they compared to those of the other servers. Another thing that really drove it into the ground was the initial mentality that it was supposed to replace and kill Viper, which cause a lot of Viper fan boys to rage and cry to get it back. I think it would have been a good thing to have it as a backup server for lower population and more fun screw around maps. However, with the amount of money being shelled out on each server, it really makes no sense to have both around. Keep in mind Rawr was hosting it in NYC which has up the ass pricing. That's my story for today.

17. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I think it was that he set too low server rates, empires needs different rates to what most srcds setup guides suggest due to empires needing more bandwidth.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It was supposed to replace VIPER, not kill it, because Vicki didn't want to host VIPER anymore. People never give anything time, if people did we'd have the G server for Americans and Eth0's for Euros, and for some reason the fanboys are extremely aggressive. They think that if you set up a server you are declaring war on VIPER so they all go onto your server, grief it, boycott it, tell their buddies not to play it, ddos it, sit in spec on it, bitch about it. The server fanboys are 100% retarded in this mod.

19. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

There is server fanboys? On a game with 2 servers? Wat?

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

And why do you think you never see EPIC populated. People come, people bitch, people leave, and they take newbies with them.