Which Unofficial maps should be made official in next release?

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Aug 25, 2008.

1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I really dont see why you think midbridge is chokepointish, there are basically 4 ways to the enemy base; north pass and south pass(which are basically infantry combat areas that I would think you would want), then strait through middle and going accross the top bridge. I just dont fathom how you see midbridge as chokepointish in general or compared to other maps.

emp_arid - This map has a decent and simple design with a nice middle area made for purposeful infantry combat. Still keeps lots of buildable space around the map without it being too vertically linear. I would say this map is cappable of being an official map

emp_badlands - Not so much a terrible map but something about the gameplay of it just didnt play well. Also very hard to distinguish your position from just onscreen. Not official

emp_bush - very well designed map with a very unique touch to it. Random start locations do alot to prevent early in force rushes. Map layout is very rugged yet has nice build locations, the terrain was pulled off very well. During gameplay I must say the map was very fun to fight on as both infantry and vehicles. The random start locations needs to be more distinguished on minimap and in general but I'd still say official.

emp_caldera - this map can be fun to play on but it has a serious lack of certain balance. To few tickets, to few refs, no real chokepoints, it was very zerg rush everywhere feel constantly(ran out of tickets before I could research just 3phase/reac meds). This map has the feel of belonging to a custom map server not an official map.

emp_dune - a nice open map, new beta is alot more balanced. This map is definatly more about vehicle superiority than even duststorm is but on the other side of the coin there are several good forward barracks locations to still support infanty in those locations. I would say this map has the potential to be an official map now and probebly definatly in a later version.

emp_forest - This map is well designed for some intense varied combat. Definatly a vehicle map but plenty of open build space around for creating your own chokepoints with walls. I would say this maps problems are purely aesthetic which isnt really a big deal and is generally easy to change in the later stages of design(plus maps like money are official and are ugly as sin). I would give this map my vote of confidence in being official. I think it needs a name change though, too generic.

emp_frost - this map, uh, its just about waiting for the end game weapons. chokepoint isnt even fun, just an icey bridge of doom you cant even rush accross its mile length(90% of the games on this map come down to a ticket war). I played and commed this map many many many times and I'm going to have to give this map a NO on being official.

emp_lastcity - locationing on this map is very difficult and hard to distinguish, doesnt have a completed map feel to it and gameplay lacked alot. Very easy to design rediculous chokepoints with walls between buildings and etc. Not official

emp_midbridge - as i said earlier in my post definatly varied routes of combat, alot of infantry only areas and multiple assault routes plus this map has no problems in the glamor department. Definatly able to be an official map.

emp_oasis - layout isnt terrible but the resources is just way to low. The bland sandy look of the fog, ground and everything in between doesnt look so nice and is very easy for you to loose your way in even if your watching your minimap, noob nightmare of wandering. Im going to have to say no on official map status

emp_plunge - good use of getting away from linear terrain levels, lots of high and low grounds that you want to take and hold for various strategical and economical reasons. However, map is based largely on early game rushing to hold your side of the map and push the enemys side. Might require to much of an expierenced comm to make the game not end in pretty much the first 10 min of the game. I will still say that this map is good enough to be official.

emp_shadows - decent concept for a map, giant circle and balanceing your team for pushing leaves you with a lot of ring around the rosie combat though, very ninja friendly. Relies to much on having a very good player getting into the rushing medium, having higher than standard tech makes them not nearly as vulnerable as glycencity vehicles to infantry allowing the expierienced player to win the match for their team or the noob to loose the match for their team. This map only really works with expierenced players IMO. I give it a maybe for official status.

emp_temple - awsome concept for a map, very small commanding action oriented map. The fight is always there on this map. the temple seperation keeps the players close enough to fight but enough of a hike that you cant just bum rush the CV at start, regaurdless of the stage in the game infantry are still playing a role on the battlefield. Empires needs a good small commanding map like this one in my opinion, it will actually be functionable on small scale games of 5v5 or so yet be fun with full server games. I would put this as an official map even if you dont like the layout of it(which I do) simply so people can RTV to a map like this when there arent very many people playing. I give 2 thumbs up to become an official map.

emp_trenches - have you guys played this? its a very large box, with more boxes cut out to be trenches, and a haven for lvl 3 turrets that will kill you when you cant even see them. 2 thumbs down for official map status. This is purely a custom map server kind of map to screw around on.

emp_territory - good layout that isnt too mirrored or linear. Could just use some tweaking and balanceing a bit more before its really a balanced map. This map definatly has the potential to be a official map I just dont think this release is quite ready for it yet, but it may come to be ready before the next patch is released.

emp_vehicletraining - this is map with a strict purpose of trying to teach noobs how to drive, not to be in any official map pack to be played in every map cycle. This map involves lots of yelling by veterans to make noobs go to flags and not the enemy base making for uncomfortable gameplay for noobs and much hair pulling for veterans. Not official.

maps that I do believe need removing from the cycle is the allready mentioned emp_money for the simple terrible gameplay of waiting around to get nukes and crappy tank fights in the middle.
    I also feel that emp_crossroads needs to be removed as well, the gameplay is based around BOTH teams turtleing in the middle and hiding behind cover from lvl 3's in annoying positions everywhere. The fact that the whole map centers around to one single chokepoint is just terrible design as well. Also the map is hideously laggy in the center where all the combat is suppose to take place as well, which now your stuck in a lame standoff and lagging terribly. The only thing this map really has is that it looks decent, and not much else to offer.

As a big fan of custom maps that takes every oportunity to play them and for someone who spends three quarters of their time commanding and watching the whole outline of the battlefiend in these maps I hope you will read and judge my opinions respectfully.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

I suggest being rather strict when deciding which maps to make official. They should be well playable maps, and good looking as well. The word official should mean something to the people.

That said, i think the download section of the forum could use a mapping section, where decent (playable and tested !) custom maps can be found together with some screenshots and a short introduction. Server owners can then easily add more maps to the rotation.

3. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Great post Keef, I agree with most of your opinions, thanks for the comments that's almost more feedback than I've got so far in my map threads.

4. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

I read Keef post, I like money but wouldn't be a big lost. I do hate crossroads yet I heard people talk about enjoying it. So meh, I don't care really what is added or removed. As long as we get have the secret room map.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Damn it, I really need to get mapping.
    I need to release my maps!

Anyways, Keef was right about some maps but he was too nice on what maps should be official.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I Will Kill Everyone That Even Thinks Of Removing Crossroad...

(oh and thx for liking temple keef lol... )

Hey we could make to categorys of maps, for beginners and for experienced players.
    Two mapcycles for server owner. Would be cool cause so new players dont need
    to learn the game on maps that are to confusing for beginners.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i 100% agree with keefs post

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i personally love district, but then again... i don't know anyone else who does...

what maps you like depend on what kind of play style you have

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Crossroads gets old after awhile. I've seen some really nice comebacks, but 90% of the time it's "over" in 5 minutes. 9 mining is really fun on that map ;)

10. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

if you want to keep crossroads you should start throwing some peer pressure on the mapper to reoptimize it.

And I dont really expect every map I said was good to be choosen it was more like a sorting process to then choose from that selection.

I mean how many maps are you developers planning to take on for the next patch? 3? 4? I would doubt they would take all whatever I said 7 or whatever

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Screw all of you emp_forest is an AWESOME NAME. TBH it was just a placeholder but I think i might keep it now just to spite all you whiners. Meh, its on the back burner till brickorgy is done.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

temple is an absolutely amazing map. the mapper is so far beyond the standard flat mapping, it's awesome.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

emp_forest
    emp_temple (yes i vote for my own map :D )
    emp_dune
    emp_plunge
    emp_arid

--------------------------------------------------

NOT OFFICAL SHOULD BE

emp_frost / why? one chokepoint stallment without even a real fight
    emp_mdbridge / why? to confusing random and big

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it does have a 'backdoor' path. Although TBH I hate that even more about it -- usually the map just comes down to which team has more players on it that know about the tunnels.

It's a well-made map, but I wouldn't make it official if you ask me.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

emp_midbridge

16. Empty

Empty Member

What's wrong with crossroads optimization? It's not exactly that laggy, some alternate routes for infantry would be nice though.

17. Caelo

Caelo Member

there are still some cosmetic issues too :)

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

hell ya its laggy, for my system average around 25-30 fps, i get like 8-10 in the middle of crossroads during a game, so hard to play.

and my graphics are definatly not set on high

19. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeah crossroads runs like crap for me too. Having looked at the vmf, the middle buildings are made from way way too many brushes, there are about 20-30 floor displacements that could just be deleted because they are underneath cliffs or other objects, and the few hint brushes there are have been badly placed and do nothing to help visibility.