What happened to the Black Hole?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You can see the accretion disk, stuff orbiting and slowly falling in....but you can see the posts in the black hole forum still, so I think my post still works :)

Light is sucked in so you can ID a black hole by a lack light in an area as well.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Theoretically you can see things which are actually inside the black hole, except what you're actually seeing is the light very slowly escaping from just outside the event horizon, the object itself is long past the horizon, but the image remains because the light takes a while to reach you.

Similar to how if you point your telescope at a blank patch of sky you can see traces of the formation of the universe.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Will I see traces of the formation of you if I point my telescope at a blank patch of your... never mind.

4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wait from an outside reference frame, you cannot see into a blackhole. Thats the thing about it, no information gets out. And light would be information. However if you fall, it will become an eternity for you to reach the blackhole because time will be slown down in your reference frame. However one should be dead long before that effect becomes big enough, because the blackhole would crush one long before.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Hence the black hole isn't actually gfone, you just can't see any information escaping it.

We didn't remove the subforum, we just made it scientifically correct.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, you see stuff that is currently inside the black hole but to you it appears to be still just outside it, because the image of the object at that point is just escaping.

You aren't seeing information from inside the black hole because as you said that's impossible, that's the definition of event horizon. But you would see things which are currently in the black hole as sitting on the edge.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You're basically saying speed of light and distance to viewer...right? Stop confusing people :)

There's tons of starts going supernova that we still see as if they were there; it'll take a while for that light to reach us. Just like it takes gamma radiation from some supernova starts a long time to reach us. And it takes a few minutes for the Sun's light to reach us...

Exactly my point :)

8. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

what about white holes?"?

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

They are output only, black holes only let stuff in, while white holes let only stuff out.

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You know, like write only memory.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I thought the only way we even know black holes exist is because of trace amounts of electromagnetic waves (x-rays?) escape just before the object is sucked in/devoured/om nom'd/what have you.

12. Empty

Empty Member

Or how about the fact that there's this mysterious chunk of darkness which is sucking in nearby objects.

Or to be more correct, black holes were theorised first and then evidence was found to prove their existance.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah but unlike distance to viewer, the gravity of the black hole also affects the speed of light.

As I understand it, as an object approaches the event horizon, you would 'see' it slow down and basically hover on the edge, because light is getting trapped and released slowly as it approaches the event horizon, It would also presumably redshift for the same reason.

In actuality it would just fall in, you just wouldn't see it.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Would it be fair to say a black hole is compressed time?

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

spacetime ;)

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The compressed space exist inside the compressed time.

The idea of a black hole is that it is pure matter. Matter is a large part empty space, even on solid objects. Lets give every black hole and atomic number of 1 google :o

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's a neutron star.

Black holes are supposed to be a huge amount of matter all occupying a single point, they have mass but no size.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

man I've always wondered what was at the other side of the black hole. But death is too much of a possibility.

19. Empty

Empty Member

My mind is full of fuck over how god damn wrong you are.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I didn't know you were a physics buff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.