We may as well just hash it out, once and for all.

Discussion in 'General' started by John Shandy`, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I think mods should stop focusing on the rules so much and focus on banning people who insult them and editing the posts in the anime thread so none of the pictures are too big.

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Well ViroMan, it's besides the point. Empty and I don't really care much for each other now-days, and we both know it. The thread isn't about me though, and although I've mentioned him a lot, the bigger issue is the forum administrators who let certain moderators run so wild that they had to shut-down a forum category. It speaks volumes to the fact that the developers develop nothing and moderate everything. They have created a mess, one that Krenzo shouldn't have to clean up, yet I don't think he trusts anyone else to clean it up - therefore it never gets cleaned up. The silly movement will eat their bans and their deleted threads, make new accounts, and continue to troll the community. Meanwhile, developers will combat them through ineffective moderation tactics and accomplish little-to-nothing on developing the mod.

I can't make it any clearer than that - and I don't want to. I do not enjoy drama, and was hesitant to even make this thread... but I love this mod. I've never invested as many hours into a game as I have into Empires.

Before I found Empires about ~3.5 or so years ago, my Steam Friends list had like 20 people on it. Today, my Steam Friends list has 224 users on it, 90% of which are cool people that I've met in Empires - some of which turned out to live in my state (one of which I've met in real life: DrummerX), and one of which lives in my city and went to my old high school (JPL communism). Empires has given me so many hours of fun times and memorable experiences, and it has been worth every single moment of rage that it cost me. I think we owe a lot to all of the previous lead developers and contributors, but I think there's still a tiny bit of aura in this mod that can be siphoned so that it may enjoy at least another 2 or 3 years of life, but not if we trade its development for some forum moderation. If I didn't care about the mod, I wouldn't have made a thread about what I perceive to be a crippling issue that simply won't go away on its own like most other issues.

I'm thinking this may be my last reply to this thread though - I want everyone else to decide for themselves what should happen (to the mod, not the stupid black hole).

Cheers,

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. OuNin

OuNin Member

correctamundo

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

(I had a much longer post than this, but really, this is all I want to say)

I made a post 8 months ago saying the mod was dead. Truth be told, It had more life in it than it does now when I made that post. It got shit moving again, which is what I ment it to do.

Now I removed the black hole. Guess what...the energy and fervor the last few days actually have things moving again.

Also, lay off of empty, he was just as surprised as all of you when I removed it.

EDIT: Also, you aren't getting The Black Hole back. But what you will get is something different.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Not knowing anything about anything, if Empty is in fact going against people based on clan...dump him. As simple as that. Mods should not be involved in the clan nonsense - not when they're doing their mod work at least.

6. SupRore

SupRore Banned

Empty should be demodded for being a pussy bitch and a little kid, nothing more, nothing less.

Also cause he gave me two! (2!) infractions for reminding him that he doesnt play the fucking game.

Meanwhile, replace the blackhole with the alleycat lounge, a hangout forum for all of the cool cats from the empires community, complete with ambient jazz.

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

PHP:
    while(Forums->HasUpgradedFail())
    {

Recon->Facepalm();
    }
    We've managed to make 9 pages in less than 24 hours. The community is alive. Are we done now?

In case anyone is wondering why this thread, and every thread like it will accomplish nothing, it's because the thread is meta. We're talking about the forums on the forums. And when we talk about the forums, we're talking about the moderators. There's a reason we don't discuss server admin stuff or stacking in the server.

Why hasn't IT steam rolled them?

8. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Shandy has a point I too support, and have been trying to express slightly differently but I think Shandy says it better. Regardless, somehow that had me labled up with mr.lie and he trolled half the empires community today.

I'm hands off moderation or the subject of it from right this moment, I've had enough drama. I will say this though: Empteh likes to troll, and has been guilty of it in his duties as a mod, granted usually with some kind of basis in a rule infraction (although sometimes the basis is weak). Others with mod powers have done this too, it seems to be very common, but there is a reason. Empty also is a good contributor, realistically he shouldn't *be* dealing with an entire forum on the topic of retards. That being said I think he genuinely does the best he can, and applaud his effort.

Devs *really* don't want to deal with it, admins *really* don't want to deal with it, and Krenzo *really* doesn't want to deal with it, and none of us *really* should be dealing with it.

I'll state something again: I think Kylegar has this in hand, and is taking a calculated approach as he usually does. Shandy if you've already related your points to him, I think that is good enough.

Enough with this, I'm tired of the drama and this is really all so distracting. I'm making this my last post as well.

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Please:

Only exercise moderation powers based on the official rules that can be found here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=2226

Don't exercise moderation powers on personal whims or for your own amusement.

Update rules accordingly

And there would be a lot less drama.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Hater's gon' hate.

11. Empty

Empty Member

Please do not be a smartarse.
    5.04- Moderators are not obliged to provide you with a reason for their decision.
    The rules are guidelines, think of us as your dungeon masters, the rules are guidelines, we'll act as we see appropriate.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

god i couldnt stand reading the replies ...
    thanks shandy - you tell exactly how i felt before i thought - fuck it, i cant stand it anymore ...

YOU should be lead dev ...

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Expanded:

The rules are just there to point out to people, "we've already thought of x, y and z, don't do it..."

Ultimately, the admins/mods decide what they do and do not like, and dish out whatever punishment they deem necessary.

Attempting to fight with an admin/mod is a waste of everyone's time, and will get you banned, even if you are right.

Trying to find loopholes will make the admin/mod laugh, and then proceed with whatever actions they were planning, perhaps with added bonuses for being, as Empty said, a smartarse.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Thank you recon.

15. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Open ended rules like that rely on having mature people to be able to enforce them, something which cannot be counted on. Why must the internet have a not invented here attitude to governance?

16. Empty

Empty Member

The mods are plotting against us!
    Rise up against the oppressors!
    They run this forum purely for the power!

17. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Erm what?

18. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Well, when you lead an admin/mod team, you usually hope so...

Because it wasn't?

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Hey guys I herd you like drama so you put the stuff from Black Hole into the main forums. Why the hell did you do that?
    I'm with Chris on this actually. Don't like forum rules? Get out of forums.

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

Well I think the main point is to ban the spammers and the trolls, not to delete sections of the forums, because when you bring that section back - guess what it'll be filled with again. :o