Vehicle Ovehaul Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Apr 2, 2011.

?

Hatch up or down?

1. up

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. down

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yeah I know.
    I come here to get a laugh or two once in a while.
    Shit, son.

2. -MEG- hobbes

-MEG- hobbes Member

shit is pimp. Now all we need is the Cleveland browns helmet on the hood. And a license plate that says "Boom".

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

...tbh, I wouldn't be against a boom license plate...

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

do eet!!!

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah ok, I'll go with that.

6. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Anyone ever played the original Operation Flashpoint? In MP you would set up a small image that would act as a texture for a small plane on the sides of vehicle models.

Would something like that be doable in source?

Your Steam avatar being visible on the side of the tank you're driving?

This thread here would probably explain shit better than I can.

7. Trickster

That'd be nice one day if possible. It's weird because we had high res steam avatars in the microphone icon bits, then the resolution had to be dropped because of some steamworks issue. I guess that would need fixing if we were going to do it. But idk, personal touches like that would be nice imo.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

How about we say... screw steamworks and go back to update empires manually so we can get custom content and better avatars. Everyone is happy. HELL if you want it to update automatically I could throw an update check program together in like 5 minutes.

9. Trickster

Actually, that avatar thing is only possible because of Steamworks as far as I know. Also no, that's not going to happen. And besides, we've almost fixed the custom content issue. Fact is, if it wasn't for the fact the game is on steam, we'd have died out months ago.

10. ViroMan

What is blocking the custom content from working? Do they know what to do but, lack time to do it? Are they just throwing shit(code) at the problem to see what sticks(solves it)?

Just asking curious that is all. The people not in the loop don't hear shit until its done most of the time. Until then we keep getting "the mod is dieing", and "the dev team hardly do anything", posted all over the place. The dev blog really does need updating more often. People find time to post in here often enough I don't see why one sentence can't be posted in there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  11. Trickster

We only found a common thread at all a few days ago, thanks to work from Empty, Chris0132, HarryHoot and myself. Now we've found something specific about it, we can probably track the problem down. Marcin is just waiting on his NDA to come back from Valve so he can look at the Steamworks code.

The fact is, when time is at such a premium (and I really can't emphasise just how bad it is here), we're not going to waste it making blogs and stuff like that. What people post on the forums regarding the game development is irrelevant if they have no idea what they're talking about. The fact is, when it gets done, you'll see it. Those who contribute regularly, by finding bugs, helping us out when we ask for it, and even when we don't, tend to find themselves in the loop a bit more, simply because it comes up in the chats we're having. We don't have a set list of people we tell stuff to, it just comes out in conversation when we're working on something with members of the community.

To put it simply, a blog and shit like that is for when publicity is needed to get more players. We don't need more players right now, when the game is in the current state it is. When/If we have more time, when/if development moves faster, and all that usual crap, then more non-development stuff (blogs, media etc) will get done. Until then, it's just unimportant in comparison with actually getting the game progressed.

12. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Just an update, I'm still working on this thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

I think I like where you are taking this.

14. ViroMan

it looks... a bit cartoon like.

15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

It looks a lot better than the current one though.

16. Trickster

I get what Viroman is saying though. It looks nice, but like it would really easily fit into a game like Borderlands.

17. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Does it look like a GI Joe toy? A bit inspired by TF2? Sure... but then it is still a WIP. Probably a few layers of dirt and grunge still to go on there.

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

so does everything in emp no? I like it, looks great! much better than current nf cv.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think it would work well for Empires :)

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Oh please, vehicles in Empires that die jump a little and go dark, RPGs have nearly no AoE and their primary use is still to snipe infantry. What is not cartoon like about Empires?