Tickets for tanks rather than infantry.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, May 14, 2011.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If I had to explain why bad suggestions are bad every time a new suggestion thread popped up, I would have no hair.

Like all these issues we have is because of bad players, if we idiot proof empires constantly its going to turn into tf2 where you don't need a brain to play and its entirely casual. Good matches will be unheard of instead of uncommon.

I let people like Candles explain this shit for me because they can tell you why your idea sucks without swears and making you feel like shit.
    I don't have the patience to tell people who ask candles to re-work the game because of one bad match they had when thier problem can be solved by getting good, that their idea is entirely bad and had no conferencing or thought put into and made on the spot.

Here is why your idea is bad.

"When tickets are gone make it so all your buildings have permanent scout sabotage. And make 0 tickets auto start the 1 hit kill on your CV."
    So basically you want stacked teams to win even easier, and make it even harder to to have other make a comeback.
    You are asking to change one of the core principles of what this game was built on because of one shitty district, and crossroads match.

"-and add a re-spawn penalty-
    Every ticket used adds 10 secs
    At least try it and see how it goes."

Adding the dytsopian spawn system will make things more complicated to when the commander needs stuff done, it will make kill spawns entirely frustrating when they are a necessary sacrifice in winning games.
    Those admin things are stuff we already have but there people like security who only does their job when it best suits him.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. 101010

101010 Member

Tickets are there to end games. Plane and simple it's the only reason we have them. But as is they are not working. They just place us into a stagnant area where we sit for 30 mins not being able to spawn. - It just kills the server.

Removing them is not an option because you get them maps that never end. - It just kills the server.

Only option is improving them to have more of an impact to end the map.

3. BigTeef

I am starting to see why we needed trickster to tell people no.
    All of this can be solved with a !surrender command, and people waiting around to get revive is their own problem.

Maybe if they dident over extend in the first place and maybe focus fired with their teammates instead of letting one BE heavy kill everyone, maybe if they got anti building weapons and not a fucktard com, maybe just maybe if they put some kind of actual thought into their actions.

Empire matches wouldn't be fucking horrible in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Why do people think sudden death happens all the time on commander maps? It doesn't, not really on commander maps. The last few times I have seen it happen the match did end within the next 2-3 minutes of the timer til cvs blow up in one hit ends. Most people at that point aren't sitting around dead, revive engys are everywhere and squads have racked up a bunch of points by then.

About that main thread idea, I don't know. As it is it would be terrible, but if you rework it with how res works it might not be so bad. Maybe one that isn't tied to the infantry ticket system, like a second ticket counter.

The good thing is that it would add more value to each tank, and possibly increase the variation of tanks on the field if you stick with the idea that different chassis cost different amounts.

The bad thing is it complicates things, and people are really bad at keeping tanks alive so the end game might suck even more for one side.

If death times increased that would really just slow down the game and make low pop games a special kind of hell. Slower matches might not be bad, but making low pop games even more unattractive to play with our player counts is just bad.

5. 101010

101010 Member

Don't forget there is already a wait to re-spawn.
    Just saying it should be higher for players blowing threw tickets and being useless. Maybe add 5 secs per ticket used but subtract 5 secs per 10 points.
    So if you using tickets but also helping your team then no penalty.

It seems like more and more games are coming down to tickets lately and it's always like 1 or 2 people on the team that used more then 4x as much as everyone else and they are normally at the bottom of the scoreboard

6. Empty

Empty Member

The problem with sudden death isn't the rate at which is happens but the length of the game it occurs in.

It might be one match in ten, but it accounted for 30% of the entire time played because the other matches all lasted 10 minutes, but the sudden death match hit 45 minutes and everyone was pissed off at the end.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I guess, I don't get pissed when that happens though. Most of the time I feel like sudden death is a decent indicator of a pretty good match most of the time.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think you're right, but is that really the best way to deal with tickets?

I mean, we've got silly tickets & overpowered reviving and they do counteract each other pretty well, but I feel like there has to be a simpler system that achieves the same thing.

I appreciate you making an attempt to actually communicate in place of our resident aspies.

But I have to say that those seem like they'd be pretty easy to fix.

As you said, emp_force_kill is basically the fix and that's really it. Rebind delete to emp_force_kill and see if we can change that one plugin to rebind !kill similarly. I honestly think that takes care of that issue entirely. When I'm organizing a killspawn with shifty players, I never say "kill yourself". I say "press the delete key." I've had a lot of success with that. I don't see why we ever need to be instructing new players to use anything but the delete key to killspawn.

But that doesn't fix everything. Before you made this post, I was racking my brain for legitimate issues while Zoom and Teef were somehow unable to string together coherent sentences. Really, it comes down to times when you want to die but you don't want to use emp_force_kill. Such situations would pose a serious problem to efforts to make emp_force_kill the de facto way to suicide. I thought of two.

The first is a quick heal via a suicide then revive. This is unfortunately pretty intuitive, but it's particularly charge-efficient. Losing this would be a shame, but it might have the fringe benefit of making healing upgrade remotely useful. Like no one uses that.

The second is much more problematic. The biggest use of intentional suicide to be revived is when you're stuck - usually due to a previous revive. Sometimes your ragdoll can fall in a better spot for a revive. Or you can time a grenade to throw your ragdoll into a better spot. So you need to fix revives. That's really the issue for me. Everything else is a minor issue. That's one of the reasons why I'm still puzzled by Teef and Zoom losing their shit over "griefing" when every griefing-related issue is pretty simple to fix.

I'd say that the simplest fix for stuck revives might be to just put the revived player inside of the reviver. I mean, you know that the reviver is probably in a non-stuck position and there are no collisions to stick them together. Honestly, that should probably be implemented regardless of this ticket bullshit. People like player collisions. They work well enough. Might as well use that to fix some other problems.

9. BigTeef

Did you seriously call us aspies when you have been breaking the game with no communication with the community since day 1?
    Ooh..

I am going to walk away from this one, you will learn the hard way.
    I rather have nobody than this guy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Close the thread cause this won't happen anyway, no point in circle jerking.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

12. nick

nick Member

MAYBE I AM WRONG. MAYBE I AM RIGHT. MAYBE NOBODY REALLY KNOWS FOR SURE WHO IS RIGHT OR WRONG.

MAYBE ASKING PEOPLE WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG IS THE WRONG IDEA.

MAYBE WE SHOULD CODE SOMETHING INTO THE SERVER TO GIVE FEEDBACK WHEN PLAYER COUNT INCREASES OR DECREASES AND WHAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF THAT. IF MAPS LIKE DISTRICT ROUTINELY GO FROM 30 PLAYERS TO 20 PLAYERS THEN THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

IF SUDDEN DEATH GAINS PLAYERS OR LOSES PLAYERS THEN AT LEAST WE WILL HAVE CONCRETE MEASUREMENTS AND INFORMATION TO MAKE A DECISION.

WE NEED MORE DATA! WE NEED INDEPENDENT DATA. WE CANNOT DECIDE UNTIL WE HAVE MORE DATA ABOUT WHAT PLAYERS DO, NOT WHAT PLAYERS SAY.

WHAT PLAYERS DO != PLAYERS SAY THEY DO

13. BigTeef

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Not sure how you figure sudden death would gain players on a server, since nobody will be able to join and spawn anyway.

Basing your statistics on players joining on a server is pretty pointless in any case, because most players won't have any clue about the state of the current round on the server. That means you can't really assume they join simply because it's a good round.

Concerning the ticket system:
    (Just my two cents)
    -remove sudden death, make the round end once one team reaches 0 tickets
    -make a death remove a ticket, make a revive add a ticket

(Yes, that is exactly how battlefield does it and I think it works pretty well.)

15. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I've said it for ages now, once a team has no available spawns they should get 60 seconds to secure a spawn or they lose.

No available spawns is both having no raxes etc. or having no tickets, even if you have infantry running around, if you don't get a rax up you should lose imo, it'll stop a lot of matches ending in a massive slow drag.

I think 60 seconds is plenty of time to get an emergency rax up, if you don't h ave a single player on your team secure enough to place and build a rax, then your team has lost, honestly.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I disagree, the most of the endgame grind comes from the losing team being holed up inside a barracks and chewing through tickets like crazy rather than having no spawn at all.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yep I agree totally.
    And before someone comes along to comment that a situation like that (one guy remaining hidden away trying to build a rax) is fun and has a lot of tension...Yeah, for that one dude maybe, for everyone else it's just annoying. If you want something like that, go play a single player stealth game.

That is actually a case where the winning team just seems to be pretty bad at destroying a single barracks.

18. Empty

Empty Member

I've never seen a barracks fight last more than a minute.

Besides, barracks fights are fun, every player is involved in a struggle to the finish, it's the 5 minutes of CV running around afterwards that makes everyone get bored and d/c.

Time where players can't interact is the worst part of any game, respawn times are useful, but entirely preventing players from playing is not. Any time over a minute spent waiting to play is way too long.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Commander chases are examples of bad conduct by the losing commander, prolonging the game when there is no chance for recovery, at all. It is something admins should take care of, rather than forcing solution through code. I, for one, always ask such a commander to suicide and end the shitshow.

20. Empty

Empty Member

Commander chases are a flaw in the game.

this proposed change eliminates the opportunity for commanders to pull that shit (which is annoying for both teams) and also adds a new, more reasonable wincon that'll prevent endless stalemates. We're hitting like 5 birds with one stone.

But continue to backpedal, it's amusing.