Tickets for tanks rather than infantry.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, May 14, 2011.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

No, the no spawn point is really inflexible and arbitrary thing.
    First, it either doesnt work or is useless on maps that have spawn points not linked to buildings themselves.
    Second it creates some bizzare situations where your team might suddenly loose for no reason. You want to recycle the main rax because most maps have them in dumb places and place it closer to the front lines? Well thats too bad, you LOOSE.
    The enemy decides to rush really early into the game and manage to take down the rax? No, guys dont help the stuck cv in our main, go build this building in some inconvienient place right the fuck now else we loose.

Im all for some ways of fixing the worst types of lategame stalemates, but this really isnt one.

````

Im not hot on obscuring the tickets either. Id assume youd want to have specs not see them at all to prevent ghosting and all that fun stuff, but seems like a really bad thing away to take from it. It also makes it really hard to judge how YOUR team is doing, a raw number doesnt tell you shit unless you can compare it to something. With both numbers seen, you can see that maybe you can afford a push now, or your team is really behind and should be on the defensive and use the damn revive more. It really makes the supposed tickets problem worse because without any info, youll probably end up with people camping alot.

And noone is ever going to just walk into an enemy radar unless its a base rush anyway.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Empty

Empty Member

For custom maps we could just put a binary flag into the map control entity so mappers can disable the behaviour (although honestly I can't see any maps where this new behaviour wouldn't make them play better)

I've been playing empires for like 6 years and I've never ever encountered either of those situations, even in scrims where weird shit like that occurs, 60 seconds is an incredibly forgiving timer anyway.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You can make it so the timer stops when the building is placed, not built.

I'm whatever about the whole idea though, it might be ok might really make empires crap. I don't really have any problems with the current game when it comes to this.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's not uncommon to recycle the barracks on a map like mvalley so that can afford a vf, apc and rax. It at least it used to be relatively common a couple years ago. Effective? I don't know about that, but you mentioned that you've never even seen any those tactics attempted when they aren't unheard of.

5. Empty

Empty Member

APC would cancel the timer anyway so what's the big deal

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The apc dies sometimes. This isn't just one weird match. It used to be reasonably common on mvalley. Occasionally, the apcs dies early.

The bottom line is that those situations aren't really that unusual. If you want another example, I know I've taken down the enemy barracks early in the match all the time. That's my bread and butter.

I still think that some spawnless lose timer wouldn't be a bad idea, but it'll still have its kinks. An idea shouldn't be shot down just because it has flaws.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Good point. I didn't think about the comparison and how it motivates the team. Thanks for pointing it out.

I never realised before just how much you missed out on being in a different timezone. I've seen the first example about 100-200 times, and the second example about 10,000. That's not a joke either. It's probably 5x that amount in actuality.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Don't you lose ticket slowly if you have no spawn point at all?
    Or is that removed?

Yeah I have to ask this because they really don't happen as often as Ikalx stated.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Not exactly. There's winning by building a significantly expensive building that takes a significant amount of time to make aka "wonders", RoN had having most of the map under your control, there's also rulesets where you reach an "objective" like getting a set amount of resources or destroying a specific unit/building.

And meeting a kill quota? That's not an objective, that's just a score, getting the most kills in a ten minute deathmatch test efficiency and productivity, much the same as RTS where the objective is to destroy all buildings. If you aren't efficient and productive, your buildings get destroyed. Furthermore, even with total annihilation as a win condition, most players surrender when they've hit the event horizon of the game, it's BM to continue playing. In empires you can't just call gg, there's other people on your team who might still want to fight.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Well in Empires you can.
    You can simply call it GG and ragequit, thus actually killing the hope of a comeback for your team.

This is a complaint, but people are just horrible at "reading" games, they can't tell when it is still possible(say 20~30%) to make a comeback and win the game.