The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yes... and my argument is that they make it look bad that people who participated got fired.

"Dozens of workers lose their jobs for participating in Day Without Immigrants protest" reads that people who participated in the event, which was suppose to be about how Immigrants are important, got fired for participating in it.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you said they claim they got fired for being immigrants though. still worlds away.

also its fox news, what do you expect from them, non sensational headlines? i mean im european and i know about them.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

No, I never said this. I said the titles make it SEEM that way. Did you even read what I posted? I said the article headlines read as if they were fired for attending but the articles themselves clear that up, however, most people don't actually READ the articles and they just see the sensationalist headlines and form their opinion on that.

It's more than just fox dude.

4. flasche

yes i do read what you post.
    and obviously not only fox lives on sensationalism. in austria we call the knowledge of this fact media literacy. its actually tought in school as part of german lessons (sadly only in higher grades not part of compulsory school).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Kidpaler forgot a comma somewhere and worded a bit bad, but he did mean it was bad that they captured the moment wrong to make it look like it was because of being immigrants instead of just skipping work.

Still, a part of me assumes they called out or something to go to the protest. If they got fired even after that it does seem really bad.

6. flasche

if you read the articles, it appears like they tried to, but its not made fully clear what and when. but its stated that some have been warned about the consquences.

and yes, you at least should be able to get a day off - if it needs be unpaid vacation - but if its on really short notice i can also see the conflicting interests and "agreements must be kept".
    hard to form an opinion on this. im tempted to assume the employers simply didnt agree with the poltical stance and tried to make it impossible hiding behind business interest (mainly because i exprienced this myself). but thats unproven speculation.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The titles are total clickbait and people who just read the titles would get the impression they were fired for marching at an immigrant pride day. That is subtlely trying to get you to form bad opinions about employers who fired the people who went and protested.

8. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

9. flasche

i lol'd thx for cheering me up :D

had you said that, i would not have disagreed.

but seriously, people who form opinions based on news headlines cannot be helped anyway.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Ain't nobody got time to read all that crap, it's up to journalism to condense really complicated topics to 10 words or less.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Stop targetting vicki and kidpaler cmon ...

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

13. flasche

you misunderstand that. he then shits out the cookies and the worker can feast on it.

14. Space_Oddity

The worker may pluck the crumbs from his beard as if from the jaws of a basking alligator.

15. flasche

16. Space_Oddity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ It's weird to think that Nixon, of all people, actually got the top tax rate just right. (70% is the point at which revenue and avoidance meet, i.e. the most profitable point.)

(To clarify, 70% is the point where you get the highest revenue, other graphs will show that 40% delivers the most growth. In a capitalist society but see above for how well that goes. Public service > growth of existing businesses.)

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't understand that. Public service is a bad thing for the growth of existing businesses? As it state starts to provide services that challenge businesses? Like transport, telecommunications, insurances etc? 40% seems very high to me because 25% is the max in Greece. But in America taxes scale depending on size of the business right?

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

One of my fondest memories from working the trading floor is a guy screaming "I CREATE LIQUIDITY" into his headset, moments before using his keyboard like a cricket bat on his brand new LCD monitors I'd setup for him 30 minutes previous.

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

while you guys post memes ill post news
    OKLAHOMA DEBATES BILL REQUIRING MEN TO GIVE ABORTION PERMISSION
    http://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-abortion-law-man-permission-justin-humphrey-556395
    women requiring men's permission before doing something? is this sharia law? nope, just america

20. Space_Oddity

In the simplest terms: Public services such as socialized healthcare, public transport and welfare are more important than the growth of MNCs.