The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Jan 27, 2017.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Democracy is stupid, we made terrible mistakes. We need benevolent technocratic dictatorships, burn the churches! For the Emporaaar.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

technocracy, so only rational things? no alcohol, no fatty food, no empries, no slacking, ...

... yeah you thought that through.

3. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Fidel Castro was essentially a benevolent dictator in the end. A bit of a rough start, though.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Well I was going to suggest putting Queeg, Red Dwarf's backup computer in charge so yeah, I think I've got all my bases covered to be honest.

5. flasche

@A-z-K is it worth watching the series? i read what the episode is about on wiki, sounds kinda interesting.

6. Space_Oddity

YES
    WATCH ALL OF RED DWARF
    ALL OF IT

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

^^
    Yeah watch all of it, well - the first 5 seasons, not so much the later holiday specials and such.
    I like space, I like comedy, I like fart humor, it's a win win win for me.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Man, for some reason my brother had the first season on vhs tapes. It was a great watch, the color distortions and static from the tapes kinda added to the experience.

9. Space_Oddity

Aw shucks.

10. Space_Oddity

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

It's a plethora of things. Hopefully reviving the middle class and getting rid of the stupid PC culture that envelopes all forms of education. They think our generation cries over everything... which it kind of does. Those are the reasons my entire family and extended family voted for him.

Edit: Also, you guys STILL aren't understanding how this administration works. Do you not realize by him saying that it's not talked about all of the MSM is now going to talk about how much they cover it and run stories covering all the terrorist attacks, even the super minute ones, and he can now justify his ban based on that? Like honestly, he is playing everyone.

12. Space_Oddity

Real talk. Does that seriously not seem like a desperate rationalization to you?

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

the fact that you dont realize that people have always whined about shit really shows your age. its not a liberal thing either.
    its up to your family to educate you about things beyond STEM and i guess they failed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_v._Pacifica_Foundation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Television_Council

my god people have been pc since the dawn of time. pretty amazing that the right has somehow taken up the anti-pc mantle while still championing political correctness

oh and also political correctness and basic decency are two entirely separate things

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

None of this was a problem on Red Dwarf.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

im gonna remove all your likes

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

you know what, ill play AZK's game
    The Cat in red dwarf was racist
    The producer had only asked me to read the script because he wanted to know if I thought the part of the cat was racist. This was in the mid 80s," he smiles, "when everything was so PC. I said, 'I don't think the part of the cat is racist at all, but any chance of me coming in to read for the part of Lister?'
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2009/mar/16/craig-charles-interview-red-dwarf

SO PC? IN THE EIGHTIES? MY GOD THOSE WERE GOLDEN THATCHER AND REAGAN YEARS!!!!

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Thats just how he was raised, stop beig so close minded.
    1/2 of sentient organic life on the 'Dwarf can't be wrong. Democratically speaking Cat's vote is as valid as Lister's. 'Course Lister is their god so he has an advantage,

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

*SIGH*, I DO know about all of that so please do not sit there and lecture me.

Being "PC" in this day and age, if you are a white male, means you need to submit to anyone else who is a minority and basically give them a better opportunity than yourself, rather than judging them based on their merits. It's about holding group X higher than group Y, which is racism.

Decency is just treating everyone as a human, but who am I to say that when I go around judging people on their character.

19. Space_Oddity

*citation needed*

20. flasche

awwww if it wouldnt cost so much sending a cookie to you id send you one you poor oppressed white male ongoing medicine student.
    also this, at least its true for my country, is the most overused strawman against the left. and it usually comes from people who vote right to far right parties proposing antisocial law after antisocial law.
    divide et impera at its best. if it wouldnt be so sad, itd be funny.

btw, when i went on about economic issues, did you realize how i was only taking about people of non-white ethnicity? no? probably because i was not. i full acknowledge life got harder for the majority population, but not because of minorities.

would you be so kind to reflect on this wikipedia article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_inequality_in_the_United_States

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017