The new infantry weapons - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by Empty, Dec 13, 2008.

?

Are the new guns good or bad?

1. Good

66 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Bad

57 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. Lockhart

Lockhart Member

So you'd rather have 3 people collectively shoot bullets into one person in order for them to die?

Seriously if one person can kill an entire squad in 2.1 then they are a good player and deserve the kills. Anyone person in that squad could have killed him just as easily. Fail logic people, seriously.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Holy mother of fuck, you just don't fucking understand it, do you? It's the metagame that's important, the way the game plays. Teamwork and tactics is the only way Empires will ever really get somewhere. You're only interested in being able to kill people in a fast and easy way. Go play some fucking CS:S or something while the rest of us polish the game. You obviously don't have the patience for beta testing.

3. Lockhart

Lockhart Member

Teamwork won't disappear if the weapons are made more powerful. You act as if it's the most important thing when it's that combined with good gameplay that makes it great.

Obviously I have the patience to sit here on the forums constructively criticizing the game. I'd love to beta test but I'm afraid that it's pretty closed in this community. Obviously the game is closed to player opinions.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  4. Beerdude26

Well, if you would have read some of the threads I replied to, you would have known that this balance isn't a permanent one, and that future balances will use other systems to emphasize teamwork and prevent soloing.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you can do it in 2.2 then you deserve the kills. Everyone could do it in 2.12.
    You are beta testing, the testers are alpha testing.

From a command standpoint everything works perfectly with the new infantry balancing. People war over areas and pushes can be seen. There's not any "omg how did that guy kill my whole newb team and get to my CV and is 9-mining me?" anymore, but that's the price you pay I guess. You can still see the good infantry out there, because they manage to survive getting ambushed.

With regards to the weapons, I can tell you for a fact that we already tested new weapon scripts yesterday. Sadly they were ineffective, and new ones were already done last night. It's being changed. Chill.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There are some problems with new scripts: people proning get too big bonuses for some weapons. But we won't change whole weapon settings just because it takes more skill to attack rambo-style.

7. Lockhart

Lockhart Member

I wasn't talking in a commanding standpoint. That's the only reason I will play empires still is because commanding is better than before.

Thanks for not quoting my whole post. Not everyone in 2.1 could kill entire squads you are remembering it too fondly. And in 2.2 there's no way one person could kill an entire squad unless they hit a lucky mortar, or used artillery. It's really a shame that weapons have such a short falloff.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So it's a bad thing that you can't kill 5 people before having to reload?

9. gezor

gezor Member

are u talking about the deathlazer smg1? if u want to keep it, i recommend to put a scope on it.

10. Beerdude26

Currently changing SMG1s to be non-lazer, lol

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Im maybee a noob but I always thought that those lead players with their
    awesome skill (the opposite of me) were able to kill the whole enemy team
    with a nfar or a bear gun in 2.12 D:

12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

it was possible. :p
    the sad part though is that to the diffrense of what many believe, half of the people killed were often in headon fights where you simply beated the enemy since you were faster to react and knew wtf to do.

13. dorito|lord

dorito|lord Member

The fallout damage is too drastic for all weapons.

14. communism

communism poof

bish

[​IMG]

15. yobbo

yobbo Member

I like the general rifle weapons now over 2.1. However the smgs feel too weak now and to be slightly more powerful at close range.

And the scout rifle I don't care about so...

16. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

Wow. When you break something, the community will let you know. Let that be your guide to fix the errors that you made in the next version, or watch veteran players stop playing due to crap gameplay.

Also what you don't understand is that ideal balancing for this type of game is that infantry should be DEVASTATING!! against enemy infantry to ENCOURAGE TEAMWORK to protect-from/attack the other team and encourage the com to GET VEHICLES asap to INCREASE the infantry's ABILITY TO KILL enemy infantry and buildings and vehicles.

From what i hear the infantry have been nerfed... i'll trust the opinion of what seems to be almost every response in this thread, that this is what i will find when i install. I'll further trust that your attitude indicates you've seen alot of people say it's been unforgivably nerfed.

If that's so, they you, and other testers, don't know how to balance this game, or what is fun anymore. At least that is what i see everyone saying.

To fix this mod you should start by making infantry die to 1-2 bullets... look at the insurgency mod, that valve actually picked for steam hosting, (although i played it before that time)... make your game entirely a hardcore first person shooter first that favors rifle accuracy over small personal defense weapon (smg) spraying... go for realism... make a sniper rifle powerful, and small team tactics essential to the point that someone in a tank is worrying that theirs 2-3 infantry out there, where one of them might have a anti-tank missle, like the present day javelin missile, for that one shot kill of a crappy heavily armored tank.

You might want to go as far as to make the brenardi team one which favors few highly specialized marines that prefer apcs and humvees, due to their improved anti-vehicle weapons, and the ability to request pinpoint artillery fire and air strikes,... but make the nf team one which relies solely on a lot of tanks and a lot of poorly armed infantry, to fight war in the old russian style.

Or just continue along whatever road map that's been pre-planned and see what we care. Hey i had no idea their was a new version till just now (by chance i checked to see what was cooking on this website) (where, after realizing a new version was released, the first thing i checked was the frontpage description to see if their was still a scout rifle, yes but nerfed? wtf? why, it WAS already weak) and haven't played empires in months, where last time i played their was only 3 or 4 half filled servers running this mod. So it won't take much for me and everyone else to stop playing. That's a warning if you still want something to beta test to stop pissing off the community.

17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Valve picked to host Empires so I don't care about Insurgency (I never did).

Scout rifle is still usable. There are some tweaks done to it in 2.21 and to other weapons.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Focusedwolf, the reason I HATE insurgency, is that I die in 1-2 shoots there.

It's like, looking up, you die.
    Now imagine it with he, missiles, nukes, rails... One shoot by he, and you die.

MOOtant ^^ nice work on the valve thing.

19. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

erm, what?
    i've got more chanses to kill someone if i fart in his general direction ...

20. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

the scout rifle was never usable