Tank Destroyer Stats & Features.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by VulcanStorm, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I'd really suggest the armors be set to 6/3/3/2.

It makes it a tank destroyer, strong as hell on one side, weak on sides and nothing in the rear because they are suppose to be facing the fight from a distance. Making it the same as a medium fixes nothing and makes it virtually weak from the one side that makes it strong.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I wasn't planning on changing anything.... Leave everything as it is now... Just add new stuff into the mix.

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

After some discussion I came up with another cannon idea, that Vulcan wanted me to post here.
    The idea would be that the TD cannon is incredibly good at shredding armor, but really bad at actually damaging the hull.

A few things this would do:
    - make the TD more effective against things with high armor, low armor targets are not even worth the shot most of the time
    - require teamwork to destroy targets
    - the teamwork with the TD isn't just simply guarding it and watch it shoot stuff
    - forces enemy tank drivers to turn their tanks and utilize every side of their vehicle

That's all for now, I'm going to bed.

4. VulcanStorm

So here's another armour idea... Kinda simple, but would provide some resistance against tank destroyers hull damage.

Assuming tank destroyers damage the hull directly:
    A reinforced hull armour...
    Weight: 16-18
    Health: 90(ish)
    50% resistance to all damage given to hull. No other resistances.

The effect? Well.. tanks would simply last twice as long from the hull damage given by tank destroyers, and any other hull damage (water anyone?).

As usual. values subject to change and balancing.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and it doesnt raise any flags that you have to introduce a shitload of new mechanics just to make this work?

6. VulcanStorm

Which ones? To get what working?

If security is willing to go for chassis specific damage resists... Then surely an armour would be no more difficult.
    And honestly... Nowadays, in a tank battle between heavies, if you get down to your hull, you're screwed anyway... The armour won't make that much difference vs normal weps until you get down to the hull, but would be significant enough vs a tank destroyer damaging the hull directly.

EDIT: And yes @flasche, the intention is to add a new mechanic. Its a new chassis. And perhaps new mechanics is what empires needs? To further its revival... Something new... It hasn't had that in a very long time...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The problem with those armors is that's an armor for a specific purpose, even more so then say abs. It's a hard counter type of armor. There's a lesson in hard counters, especially if you try to introduce it to a system that's mostly soft counters, not even soft counters but more about situational use.

8. VulcanStorm

They are just suggestions :p

But as an armour... They can be repurposed if need be... I was looking into alternatives to hard coding flat resistance values...

Also the armours would perhaps add a new style of tank combat? Or open new possibilities and combinations that never existed before?

Think tanks that could be more daring in water, as the hull would repair the water damage when taking armour damage. It would make the tank more resistant to being deconstructed by engineers in a prolonged fight. Think making the tank quicker to repair... As armour would need fixing, not hull HP as well.

It's not just anti-TD... It adds subtle changes across the board.

@Lazybum But what is more of a hard counter? An armour that can be modified and edited and repurposed, or resistance values to specifically Tank Destroyer damage on a per chassis basis?

again, all this subject to value changes and balancing...

9. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I think we are thinking to much with a WW2 mindset when it comes to the TD idea.

Why are we thinking about WW2 tactics when it comes to fighting another tank, when in the Empires universe their are guided and homing missiles?

My idea would be a tank similar to the arty in controls with a 3 slot guided missile mounted to it.

The armor would be equal on all sides. and the damage would be slightly less than a nuke.

To counteract this the reload speed should be similar to the nuke, and the missile should have very little splash damage.

Example like so:

[​IMG]

10. flasche

this is all is nice, but neither this nor tank destroyers follow the concept of empires tanks. in empires tanks are different chassis, each better than the previous one, its the equipment defining their use.

a heavy with just railguns (or just umls) already IS a tankdestroyer, its more or less its only use aside of rolling over people.
    the above is a heavy with nukes (or as you say yourself, arty)

11. Lazybum

You do know that if a vehicle is taking water damage it also can't move? A tank that can't move is a dead tank, see when plasma is seriously broken and op. How does it make it resistant to engys deconing it? That directly hurts the hull, bypassing the effect entirely, which wouldn't really ever happen anyway, the amount of damage a calc does to enemy tank is incredibly low considering it's the same as repairing it, assuming the engy lives long enough

As a concept itself it sounds like a neat idea and vaguely similar to some other games, like taking a hit breaks open some type of substance that mends any wounds(I might be thinking of metal gear, it's been so long.). The thing is tanks don't have a ton of hull hp, I want to say a single mine can kill any vehicle without any armor, compare that to afvs surviving 3-4 mines with full armor.At the very least a single sticky kills anything not a med or up. Empires is about stripping off armor til you can get those few very juicy hits on their soft and tasty interior. It's like gas turbines concept, where losing hull hp becomes extra horsepower, but that kinda doesn't mean much because no one stays at damaged state for very long at all, either through death or repairs.

Then there's the other idea, the one about flat resist against hull damage. Now that basically just means increasing the hull hp by 50%, because that's how resists work. roughly 75-125 hp more for most tanks doesn't equal a whole lot when you could have quite a bit more hp with any other armor. So this means it's a direct counter to anything that can deal direct damage to the hull, which will most likely be just the tank destroyer. So it's a hard counter to a tank destroyer.

Resistance is a way to making things work exactly the way you want it to. We want tank destroyer to be a counter to heavies but not do much against lights or apcs. Resistance is the super simple way of doing it. THAT SAID, I don't quite agree with it. The reason being it's going to feel very inconsistent when you see tank destroyer taking off say 3 plates off a heavy and only 1 off a light. It's just going to look really silly. Having armors resist damage type is super consistent though, it doesn't matter what chassis has that armor they all perform the same.

This is why direct hull damage is the only way to implement the tank destroyer. Hull hp can be changed, and honestly besides jeeps there's not much reason tanks can't have the same hull hp, with minimal fuss. It's the easy way not just in making things behave consistently but to simply implement. Implementing anything that just does a bunch of damage to armor first like say arty cannon just means one or 2 shotting lighter vehicles. Or it ends up being just like flasche said and it's something like a dual rail heavy, which just begs the question of why spend the time?

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Id just like to say if we are going to go off of silly, the fact that Nuclear Fission reactors dont make a huge explosion upon destruction is silly, along with a small nuke as such in a tank. I also think that All armors not having the deflective property is silly, but hey its a game that doesn't exactly make sense.

While I support direct hull damage, maybe there are other alternatives that can be explored for it, but I also agree I do NOT want to see this chassis just do flat damage because then there is no point in adding it to the game if heavies can already be a TD. Its a specialty chassis and it needs a specialty cannon.

13. flasche

i hate myself for being so against it because its so cool vulcan tries himself at a model and empires really needs nice looking models ...

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I feel like there can be a happy medium with a TD doing a special type of damage that we all can appreciate that prevents a lot of heavy tank spam, we just have to discuss it till we can all come up with something that makes sense, and should it come to it test it and see what it does.

15. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Clearly you know how reactors work.
    I know im taking this out of context but for the love of any deity dont give people ideas.

16. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

It was a simple thing, my apologies. It should spew out a ton of radiation that would make it toxic for any player to be within a large radius of the tank corpse without dying from absolutely insane amounts of Radiation.

17. Lazybum

I don't know what you mean, but I will say it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to simply remove the extra weight capacity of nf heavy and simply bump up their hull hp a bit. Not by a 100, I mean they already have 50 more hp then be heavy.

I also don't know what you mean by silly, Mr. Future President, Everything I said wasn't about silly it was about either things that actually happen(or don't in most cases) and the feeling of the game being broken because of inconsistency.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Some kind of steam blowout should be expected though...

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Clearly every single time a tank is knocked out its engine explodes. And its not like were not using radiation based engines that in fact do not behave like nuclear warheads.
    Its just that if i see yet another buff to vehicle survivability im just going to start ignoring them, teamwork be damned.

20. Lazybum

Well good, then you support my idea which is a subtle nerf of nf heavies.:grinimp: