Tank Destroyer Stats & Features.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by VulcanStorm, Jun 13, 2016.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I'd like to see a PT Boat style tank killer. Small, fast, scream into a heavy battle, trying to avoid shots, dump one heavy shot and run. Now that would be fun. That heavy shot should have minimal damage to a CV, but major damage to tanks. We like fast vehicles!

Also it would be cool to give it a 4 second invulnerable button. Recharges at 1/4 the rate of discharge. 6 sheets or armor to place as you like. You have to get in and out quickly or you die. Tap the button - with skill - to absorb shots, or hold down and hope you make it out alive.

It would be cool if that weapon could be used to clear an area of infantry too.

Don't make it a CV killer though or that is all anyone would push.

Reload time should be long - like 45 seconds. And expensive - like Arty is now. COM would have to confirm request to buy these.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Tanks having some sort of active ability sounds like a nice concept that would work ok in empires. Could be an extension of class or possibly skills, I dunno but it's neat idea.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Now youre just taking a piss

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

If walls stop you then learn to drive

5. Z100000M

Blizz your posts are dangerously close to be considered plain stupid instead of just trolling.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

It took me years to perfect.

Nah in all honesty, walls counter lights, heavies counter walls lots of lights roaming freely counter heavies

7. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

You could easily make LT's useful in late game following a % hull damage dealt by the TD gun. For Example, if I have a fast moving LT vs a Slow moving heavy, a TD that deals 20-25% hull damage each shot will be able to get 1-2 shots in on a light before it moves out of the range of the TD allowing lights to flank around and destroy it.

However, a slower heavy would have to engage it head on taking 3-4-5 shots upon approach killing it. This re-adds lights/mediums for their speed into late game to counter TD's while Heavies are directly countered. This adds variability and more team work needed, especially if it is weak in the rear so the TD is easily killable from the rear.

If you don't do it this specific way, congrats you just made Arty able to shoot at ground level with nothing special about it. Why bother adding in a new chassis?

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

but why should one drive close, its not like 6 plates cannot be removed from a distance sitting behind walls exactly like its intended for tank destoryers?
    what makes you so sure its not going to end up in a stalemate by design?

9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Because if Lights can get behind it, where only 1-2 plates of armor are, the turn rate of the tank should NOT be fast enough to catch a light. The light could EASILY destroy the TD in place by hitting its rear or even side armor if it only has 3-4 plates on the side and not able to turn.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and the rest of the battlefield? i mean you cant see the td-lt interaction isolated.

also brenodi has no LTs, afvs are good target pratice for rpgs.

edit:
    and something i have not considered yet. how do you disengage? you can only drive backwards or you show your weakest side, but there is no way to see whats behind you.
    all the getting stuck, so fun.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I have to copy & paste this again because it's being kinda omitted.

"What makes LT NOT useful?"
    In World Of Tanks their LTs are useful scouts because LTs can actually see further.
    In Empires? All tanks see the same shit.
    Also our tank turret can turn with unlimited speed, that's another thing to fuck LTs.

Not to mention we got mines, turrets ...... all kinds of shit.

So, screw that "make LTs useful", you can't, you just can't do that without screwing the whole game, in the end it's not worthy.
    I am sorry if you think that way.
    But it's still a new chassis.
    If you really want us to literally remake the game just for TD, I am afraid I am going to switch from yes to no here.

EDIT: Actually, I am fairly sure we'll have TD, it's just we most likely ain't gonna touch(possibly break) that many things for its presence.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Welcome to the downsides of a Tank Destroyer. Really good at taking out takes when in front of you and you need team support.

Exactly there are mines and everything, the TD becomes a team tank... it needs protection or it gets fucked. Not to mention on MOST MAPS TD's cant engage at range as heavies could easily engage at close range and flank it reducing effectiveness. Most maps have slight hills, buildings, ramps, SOMETHING to hide behind. Only maps I can think of that truly would allow TD rapage are Coast, Canyon, and I forget the last one but really only flat maps benefit from a TD being semi OP.

It's not screwing the entire game to make an LT "useful" its adding 1 vehicle that has LT being a strong weakness to it, that is in no way "fucking" over the game. In world of Tanks, LT's may see further cool, and they move faster. In Empires, they move faster than their heavy or medium counterparts, allowing for more maneuverability. There are some people that can take out heavies with light tanks because they can dance around heavies.

Your point about "Also our tank turret can turn with unlimited speed, that's another thing to fuck LTs." Great, a TD is stuck having to turn the WHOLE tank before it could fire on it and in the time it turns the light tank only has to go forward a little bit. TD's wouldn't have a turnable turret.

Turrets, mines can destroy an LT I agree, although LT's and AFV's still can out run turrets. That is why it would be important to put mines around the TD but in all seriousness who in the hell is going to do that for every TD on the field? We already have enough trouble getting people to go gren when a medium rolls into a base, now imagine late game grens rolling out and placing mines all over. Its impractical, you are finding reasons at this point to try and nuke the idea of a TD being weak against LT's and strong against heavies. I can go place mines all over the base late game to take out heavies, just like turrets can, great now we just countered heavies so we should rework them because they are now useless. This is a TERRIBLE argument for why "LT's" are worthless late game. It has its strong points, and its weak points.

You can do it without screwing the whole game, because if a shot were to say, take 20% of its hull health away it would be more devastating for a slow moving heavy than a fast moving LT. If anything, a flat damage cannon is punishing LT's and Medium tank drivers severely late game and with enough, will destroy the game because 3 TD's outside of an enemy VF would flat out destroy everything allowing your team to push lights/afv's to kill the buildings. A flat damage cannon can not work, it makes all tanks ineffective against it where a % health only makes certain tanks weak against it.

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I was referring to heavy tank when I said "unlimited turret speed".
    You know, it's not like no one will drive a heavy tank ever.

When I see LTs dance around me, here's my reaction : You can keep poking me while being utterly useless, I'll take out your heavy tanks first.

About mines, there's this thing called "wild mines".
    I can't count how many 3-mine 4-mine..etc I survived because I was driving a heavy tank, I would not have survived if I was driving LT.
    I spent probably 3~4k hours+ being in a vehicle, I would recommend you to buy my experience.
    It's not talking out of ass and/or making up reasons.

I did not say TD itself would be the biggest threat against LT.

Also I already said, we can implement chassis-specific armor/hull resist, aka TD weapons deal more damage to heavy tank...etc.

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I expect people to drive a heavy tank, its still end game but it also opens up LT's to be a possibility in late game allowing squads to consist of a couple heavies, a couple LT's and a TD making squad tank gameplay useful and cooperative (especially in scrims).

I know about Wild Mines, and in my time of playing I have hit quite a few myself, but usually it consists of 1-2 mine stacks which do not kill LT's or AFV's, only injure them. I rarely see grenadiers take the time to actually go ahead and stack mines all over the place in order to kill tanks, seriously look at the kill feed on a full server end game. The only time Grenadiers actually place mines is when they don't have money for tanks and are basically stuck in the weird infantry only/about to lose phase when they go gung ho on taking out as many as they can.

Please, about experience I have plenty of it as well. I have played this game for a very very long time under numerous accounts and names, I am a long time vet and I would almost wager I could take on most people in tank or infantry combat. I almost always top the scoreboard with most kills, most points in almost every game I am in, I have experience, I am not talking out of my ass either.

TD wouldn't be the biggest threat, itd be weak to an LT as the LT drives around the TD and hits its rear weak armor. Also, its easy to spot mines (especially if gren with defusal, that totally just negated mines being around), and even without you can drive around them since no team of grens would form a giant mine field around 1 TD, maybe 2-3 but not 1. LT's would be the complete counter to a TD.

I guess chassis-specific armor/hull resist would be good, but dealing a set amount of damage is still dangerous in my books.

15. Z100000M

So far this looks like a ridiculous special snowflake of a vehicle. Youre piling up the gimmicks like mad.
    Vehicle resist? Nothing else has it
    Hull damage? Nope, also a complete and utter nonbo with other tanks, promotes spam far as i can see. Hardly works if you dont add it to everything else as well.
    Activated abilities? I dont even.

flasche likes this.
  16. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Its balancing, The Vehicle resist is actually a good idea for the balancing of this specific Chassis.

As for the Hull Damage, I now see your point Sgt., I agree Vehicle resist is the way to go with this vehicle, my apologies for being adamant about it in the first place it just dinged on me while at the gym. I guess making it do a % more vs heavies than vs lights would be beneficial, but I'm curious about the DPS output of the one gun? However, Id still suggest heavy front armor, light sides, almost none in the rear (just for lights to be able to kill it)

Although, I guess Hull damage could be useful (At least partial), because then the heavies would of course die but it would be a slaughter if there were 5 TD's that took out a heavy and lights were busy circling around the TD's that took out the heavy, itd prolly be 5 dead TD's with 1 dead Light.

Activated abilities I never said, and I agree that is far fetched.

This vehicle is suppose to be unique in taking out heavier tanks quicker while making weaker tanks take less.

17. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

It's just wish listing... Calm down :) I know 90% of this stuff won't even be part of the final consideration.

And I'd like to give a programmers take on things...

From a coding perspective. I'd rather not have to hard code resists specifically to tank destroyers in the game. It means many more "special cases" in the code (like arty), and it seems like a hack to get around a poor design choice...

Vehicles shouldn't get special treatment vs a tank destroyer, it should treat them all the same. It's just nicer to code that way...

Back to my previous suggestions: TD should have at least 2 cannons, and they really should be unique...

Consider my first proposal: of dealing damage as normal and bonus pure hull damage proportional to armour on the side hit. Thus harming heavy armours more than light.

And my second proposal: A "piercing" weapon. A cannon that deals damage to the facing it hits like normal, but then half the damage to the opposite facing. No bonus hull damage.

LTs shouldn't have to be explicitly made resistant to TDs. The resistance should arise implicitly, as a emergent trait, rather than a static one.

I also have an interesting armour proposal to go with the first cannon... But I'll save that for later... I need to think it over

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Cannons properties:
    Almost 0 explosion radius.
    Reduced damage against buildings.
    Speed of rail gun, trajectory of ranged cannon.
    High single shot damage.

No MG/ML slot.
    As for DPS, I wouldn't want TD to output more than 1000 damage in 10 seconds. (Rough number, don't take it seriously.)
    The main idea is simple, I want it to be "not easy" for a heavy to kill a TD, I don't want it to be "ridiculously easy" for a TD to kill a heavy tank.

The problem with giving TD even higher DPS is obvious, TDs would kill heavy tanks way too fast that no one's gonna use heavy tank.

Surely we can drop heavy tank's DPS but you know, shit gets really tricky.

Again, chassis specific armor/hull resist will do the job.

As for armor, people will automatically load less plates on side/rear if we set a proper weight limit, we don't really have to force that.

19. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Now for a new armour proposal.

How about an armour that repairs the hull as it takes damage. This wouldn't apply if there were no plates on that side as then it would take hull damage like usual.

This armour would cause tanks to be more resistant to direct hull damage, hence making them survive more vs a tank destroyer if it dealt hull damage. But would have no effect on other existing weaponry.

Some sample stats...
    Weight: 18
    Health: ~90
    No resistances.
    50% of damage taken to armour heals hull

Again... Values subject to change.

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's amazing how much we want to change the game just to add in a chassis.

flasche likes this.