Tank Destroyer Stats & Features.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by VulcanStorm, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

Well, you're making a basic tank destroyer cannon, you can make similar cannons for ranged or explosive power. It's the same thing, no super weapon there. A railgun would bethe best option tho. Good for tanks and buildings but not for infantry. That's what you want isn't it?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think you guys imagine this better than it will be. what hinders a heavy to just drive pass?

3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

And that is the weakness of this tank. Its meant to be strong when in combat and a supportive tank in tank on tank battles, and strong on 1v1 at range but a heavy can flank it, just like they did in real WW2

4. flasche

but this isnt ww2, tanks dont die in a few hits. and if tank destroyers can reliably kill heavies it will have three effects, first any other vehicle more or less insta dies, second heavies become redundant and thrid and thats the worst a blob of tank destroyers is going to bump into your comms ass and kill it in seconds ...

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Yes, but TD's are also slow and not very maneuverable. Meaning fast tanks COULD flank around easily to aid the slower heavy tanks.

Tanks dont die in a few hits, of course... because there isnt a specific anti tank weapon in the game currently.

6. flasche

if it kills a heavy before its in its back, it will kill a medium in 2 shots. there goes your support. and it cant be more than 3-4 hits for that heavy either, because thats about how long it takes before its right next to you if you are stationary.

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

And if the TD is short it can turn easily and rape the heavy as it tries to go behind it, hitting it's tough front armour.

8. flasche

and the other heavies? i dont know where you get this defined frontlines from, i think you guys played too many slaughtered games.

also this starts to remind me of the tank version of sniper rifles again - a weapon excelling at range. because we want players to stay as far away as possible.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Vulcan gave a mention of it doing a % of max hull hp along worth some damage. I don't think the damage should be a ton but if it always does like 20-25% of max hull that would mean it takes the same amount of shots no matter the vehicle, except for jeeps and no armor.

Tama gave a mention in the original thread about standardizing the hull hp of tanks and just making the cannon do like 50 damage but against tanks it would do it only to the hull. Honestly hull hp between chassis isn't terribly different, it's like 150-275 I think with nf heavy having 275 hp(be heavy has 225).

10. flasche

so 4 shots per heavy? good bye, tanks ...

11. Ranger

Ranger Member

I think it should depend on the armour type. There should be an armour piercing resistance. I was thinking of making it dependent on thickness (hp) but then Reactive would be the best again. Armour pierching resistance could reduce the damage done and give bonuses and weakness to more situations. Knowing that you can die in 4 or 5 hits because you know it deals % damage is no fun.

12. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

That's the intention, it is a tank destroyer. Value subject to change and balancing. 20% was a guess.
    See? TD brings along new armour possibilities. :)
    Also, the 4-5 hits is in addition to damage dealt to armour. The tank isnt supposed to 1 shot LT or AFV, but 2-3 shot perhaps.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You say that like it fires every second, it might not be so bad with a 3 second cycle time or something.

And yeah ranger I always thought the way it should work was for the number of plates to basically dictate how much of it pierced the hull, like say it was 10% a plate and a heavy had 6 plates that would mean only 40% of the damage made it through. This would also give more advantages and disadvantages to lighter or heavier armor which at the moment is kinda not a big deal with hp not terribly different from one another. But I wouldn't integrate that idea with how tanks currently works, it kinda screws over lights and would just make any tank explode in hte current spam fest, along with keeping heavy tanks rather beefy against everything.

14. Ranger

Ranger Member

Ye, that way total HP wouldn't matter only that resistance. I don't know about speed to damage thing though. That could either damage the armour or be directed to the chassis.

2-3 shots for afvs? I suppose I will just use 203mm arty

15. flasche

well, for protocol, im very sceptical about balancing so that its neither oversituational like arty nor replaces one or even all tanks.
    but i dont want to be the naysayer either, so i better stay out of this :D

16. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps the Tank destroyer deals more hull damage proportional to armour on that facing?
    More armour = more hull damage.
    Say 20 hull dmg base. Then multiply that by the number of plates you got on that facing.

Of course damage would be dealt to that armour facing too.

TD better against you the more armour you have ;)

"This Cannon superheats armour. Causing catastrophic structural damage to the tank hull. The more armour you have, the more damage it does."

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

Then LT would be heavies and even if u could hit it, it would do minimal damage resulting in ultra rape even for a vet which is not fun. Armour piercing resistance to all current armours is the best option the way I see it.

Lazybum if damage is reduced according to armour-plate number then absorbant would be the best because you always have 24325 layers of armour.

18. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

This has to be worked out obviously, but it allows for a new anti-armor piercing armor that specializes in taking on TD's. However, in my mind, I see a standard hull health being good and then the cannon dealing a % of the hull health as damage to the hull (reduction from new armor?) based on max health. Keep in mind, this tank IS SUPPOSE to be weak to Lights and (maybe?) Mediums. They are SUPPOSE to be able to flank around quickly, this tank is suppose to be anti heavy tank to add variety to late game rather than the constant heavy spam we see that results in who loses money fastest. This allows teams with lower res income to put up a decent fight and have a chance in case the enemy team keeps throwing heavies at them, it makes infantry more viable to counter tank destroyers, it makes lights and mediums useful late game, and prevents new paths to victory.

19. Ranger

Ranger Member

If by weak to lights you mean ineffective weapons I disagree. No need for that. Lights have speed on their sad, that's all they need. A new armour for anti TD sounds boring but may prove necessary. We will see.

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Well, a TD would be weak to lights because if they can hit the rear with 1-2 plates of armor then it is an easy kill, this is all about maneuverability. A new armor for Anti-TD could change composition of tanks late game to force more cooperation together, but that is a far fetch.