So I'm making a PC...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im not saying i dont understand why they use delimiters right now, Im saying its really bad when it comes to ergonomy and i ponder why noone cares to change it up. I get it that it would probably require gargantuan amounts of work to make shit not break, Im not trying to say that windows shell is amazing or anything, but having to DoThatShitWhichMakes.it_really_fuckng|hard/T0\readAndWrite is why people shun the use of linux. I had my bioinformatics classes last year. People hated their first contact with linux because its a royal pain in the ass.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Windows has the exact same restriction. If you want to make a folder called "my folder" and you type "mkdir my folder", it'll create two folders, one called "my" and the other "folder". Its path searching is more flexible; if you type "cd my folder" it'll work fine, but then you have inconsistency in that "cd my folder" works fine but "mkdir my folder" doesn't. Linux in that sense is simpler than Windows because it's much more consistent in what happens.

3. Z100000M

I think you are going too much into inner workings of systems.
    In windows you can name your shit whichever way you like (shit like folders being named con aside) You can have files that are easy to read and follow established grammar rules.
    You can't have that on a linux.
    Most people dont ever go past simple file operations, which is piss easy to understand on windows. I jsut wish linux was this little bit more ergonomic seeing as its a real shame that such things get in the way of normal people beign able to enjoy non money grubbing developer soft.

Also, slightly related, open office sucks dicks when it comes to formating the 1) 2) 3) and the like. I hate this "i know better than you and there is not a thing you can do" attitude. Im never putting a dot after a number ever again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Format > Autoformat > Uncheck "While Typing"

5. Z100000M

I love how you always miss the one option that actually does the job. I swear I tried everything i though would work. I guess rage makes you dumb after all.
    I can partially excuse myself cause bizzare polish localisation that does a good job of forcing itself to not use the same words as word does.

Thanks, now to find a way to make impress count scrolling as switching slides and not scrolling into the amazingly interesting gray background. That and making it so pasting anything into it wont break the whole goddamed text.

Funny bit of trivia. I was dead sure ive been using left alt to insert special characters all this time and though yesterday that writer was playing me a fool. I've no idea how the fact that ive been using right one exclusively has slipped my notice for like 10 years. what the fuck. Off to the autohotkey it goes, having to use both hands to enter a special character is a pain. How DID I type using only one hand not that long ago. Im probably being a retard in here somewhere, sleep deprivation and exam anxiety does funny stuff to your brain.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Thumb on Alt, some other finger on target key. That's how I do ęm.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Seriously? That's awful!

Then again, whoever the fuck thought it was a good idea to put accents and shit on characters should be strung up. Also gendered nouns & verbs. Who the fuck thought "Gee, tables are girls, but desks are boys." What the actual fuck.

8. Z100000M

Lol, its seriously a non issue. The supposed "gender" of the words just come from how the last syllabe of the word or somesuch (It is somewhat pointless though). That is untill you are not retarded. For example, trades and jobs are commonly reffered to as male in polish, though when you say them, they are basically gender neutral, because they are used to reffer to a job, not the sex. As of late, alot of , what I believe some people have reffered to as 3rd generation feminists, cry foul because shit is somehow misoginistic. So the solution instead of rolling along with the few things poles did right in terms of language evolution, is to revert to the ridiculously old ways and reintroduce words that have been dead for centuries and sound just bizzare to even poles themselves. Polish language needs even more layers of unnecessary complexity and tongue breakers. Cause that will somehow fix things. How will it fix that you still have to sometimes name a job when not reffering to a person in specific? "Lol dunno". Gets even better with words that never had a female form and are not really male, but they do sound male.
    It seems alot of people take grieve offence at being reffered to with, what they think to be, wrong 1-2 letters in a word. Because apparently you are your sex first and a human being second.
    Next thing you know, saying "a pair of pants" will be frowned upon because it's hurtful to all the 30+ feminist singles out there.

9. ImSpartacus

It's not the gendered words, it's the necessary words around gendered words.

I only know Spanish, but articles and little shit changes based on the gender of the words that you use. That's just a pita.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

My french teacher in grade 4 always said "c'est une fille, add an e".

11. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Motherfucker I do pour overs, not espresso.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Lol, languages with only 2 gender are trivial. Try german or latin, bro.

13. ImSpartacus

But why? Why do we need gendered words?

14. McGyver

To give more poetical depth to our expression. It's different if you say 'el mar' or 'la mar'.

15. Z100000M

And the infinte jokes and insults you can perform by using "it" gender.

On topic of language jokes, I nearly choked when i found out that automobile is actually part latin and part greek and how proper names would actually look. Gotta say, not a big fun of using two languages in one word, but Im not really feeling ipsemobile or autokineton.
    The latter would make for a bitching coilgun name though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  16. ImSpartacus

Just needed to resurrect this thread to remind everyone that your obsession with ATX motherboards is objectively wrong and you're all bad people.

[​IMG]

17. McGyver

I think you wanted to link to this one.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

What's with everyone and no dvd drive? I still use mine for movies and stuff all the time.

I'm somewhat biased against smaller cases too, They are a pain to work in usually.

I do like that idea of integrating sata cables and power cables into the hard drive bay and other such places, but I know such things would increase cost.

19. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Considering how just recently components have become power efficient enough to stuff them in to a small case without sacrificing performance from thermal throttling, this is a fairly obvious statement.

Basically, "look at me, I wrote an article about something so blatantly obvious I put clickbait sites like Buzzfeed to shame."

I don't consider anyone who does not want to overclock their components to be "an enthusiast". Cramming your shitty components in a small box to increase overall temperatures is far from ideal. Niggas don know bout my 8350 running at 4.8Ghz. That's the fun part about computers.

If you want to take advantage of AMD's 8 core line up, you'll need an ATX board, as pretty much every board smaller than that have shite VRMs (often without proper cooling) that would be toasted within a week of usage. Anyway, AMD should hopefully have defucked the Bulldozer failure with Zen in 2016.

20. McGyver

I don't consider anyone who has a CPU from AMD 'an enthusiast'.

:D