So, can you talk me out of this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ViroMan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That is a pretty damn good deal. Too bad its larger then what I want.
    also...185w at peak... and its always going to use about 2w even when off... YOWZA!

3. ImSpartacus

Fuck the police, monitors can't be too big.

Deals on this quality of monitor aren't common. I'd pull the trigger and make space for this monster.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

But sparty, you see less jaggies and stuff if the screen is smaller, right?

5. ImSpartacus

Less perception of said jaggies, yes.

But for the price, it's an excellent option. A lot of people lust for 2560x1600 monitors as well, so that's a nice little touch.

6. ViroMan

So... did this happen?
    Where are the ultra quality displays that are now cheaper so that I may buy them. My monitor is getting worse by the day. Shits getting blue lines and shit on it that pop up and disappear. NO, its not the damn video card. It does it to any DVI source. Only analog source doesn't cause it and analog is fucking blurry looking on it.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yes, the first affordable 4k IPS displays are in stores:
    Acer Professional B326HK -- 4k IPS, 5ms, 32"
    Acer Professional B276HK -- 4k IPS, 27"
    Dell Professional P2715Q -- 4k IPS, 6ms, 27" <-- I ordered this baby and should get it at the end of this week

Unfortunately this does not seem to have brought down the prices of 1440p IPS significantly, it is $500 for those versus $700 for 4k IPS.

Anyways, if you want the best display on the market, get an iMac retina. ^^

Your requirements of a ~24" with vivid colours and deep blacks AND a mediocre Full HD resolution is just a niche that isn't really covered. I would just get the Dell UltraSharp U2415 and call it a day. Or get the monitor your friend has.

8. ImSpartacus

4k in a 27"er?

I'll ignore color quality, brightness, viewing angles, refresh rate, latency and all of that other bullshit because it's probably fine.

I care about using a 4k monitor that's only 27"on the diagonal. I assume that you'll be running at modified dpi settings, right?

I was informally chatting with Trickster about a similar pixel count in that form factor and he gave me the impression that those pixels would be useful at a traditional dpi. That's simply not the case. My 1440p 27"er is already denser than my old 1080p 24"er. I've spent about ten minutes on a 4k 34" panel and it was ridiculous at traditional dpi settings.

My eyesight isn't particularly remarkable and "Retina" pixel densities do nothing for me. I trust that you've fucked around with dense monitors and will notice the difference or else that 4k 27" monitor will be a bit over engineered.

9. McGyver

Yes, I will absolutely use it with 125% or 150% scaling. Sharp text is what I'm after, not so much more workspace. 4k @ 27" is a PPI of 163 and I use a 13" laptop with 166 PPI and 125% scaling just fine, so I hope that experience will transfer to the desktop.

At the moment I have a shitty 1680x1050 22 inch TN monitor and I hate reading text there. Whenever I have to read a PDF or do some 'serious' web browsing or coding I move over to my tiny 13" laptop for the sharper pixels.

10. Lazybum

Man, I hate having no moneys right now. I'm really feeling a need to upgrade my pc and especially get a new monitor, this 18 inch 1600x1200 crt just aint cutting it.

11. ImSpartacus

That's not too bad for productivity.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i want the image quality of my crt back ...

... but thats probably just nostalgia :D

13. Lazybum

4:3 ratio kinda sucks, things are just kinda bad putting it side to side. Plus I have to keep referring to tutorials and references while I try to do anything, so it would be nice to have something open right next to this monitor so I don't have to keep changing windows.

I'm like this with everything though, I hate baking/cooking or doing carpentry stuff in really cramped spaces.

Don't know about that, my monitor looks better than a lot of monitors I see at the stores. 9 years and still going strong.

14. ImSpartacus

Is there any reason that you couldn't get a cheap 1080p monitor to use in tandem with your current display? That might alleviate your multitasking issues for $100-150.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt no money for that reason enough? different people, different priorities ^^

16. McGyver

I still have a 19" CRT standing around. Only 26kg! :D

Edit: Holy crap, it can actually do 1280 x 1024 @ 100 Hz, might reactivate it for gaming.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd take that over 1080p30 for sure.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Good bye eyeballs, hello leaderboards!

19. ViroMan

I can wait a week. Do tell when you get it. I do wonder though... from the specs of that monitor... its has several inputs. During reading several articles on monitors I was led to believe that the more inputs you have the more input lag you have.

DisplayPort in
    Mini DisplayPort
    HDMI (MHL)

20. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I must be really nearsighted then because I'm pretty sure we found out that you can see far away objects significantly more clearly than I can.

I think I would benefit from a high-DPI desktop display over my current 23" 1080p. Perhaps if 4K displays drop in price enough a few years from now, I'll pick one up.