Remove the scout because the grenadier is all you need to do commando missions.

Discussion in 'General' started by -Mayama-, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

ITT: Retarded server administrators.

PROTIP: There's only one.

Oh, and sorry for not taking on your points as Solokiller did, I just did a pre-emptive strike and skipped the discussion. Not that you'd understand my points anyway, you're just a server administrator.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. petemyster

petemyster Member

empires population is quite strong. There are hundreds of dead mods out there. A popular mod is one that survives, which is what empires is doing. Sure it doesn't compare to the undeserved population insurgency gets, but its enough.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

That should be something to be proud of solokiller, definately. it's something origional and different in a game where every other weapon is about crouching and aiming for the chest. it definately adds something new to the game.

I'm not a good sniper, i'd rather have an assault rifle any day. but there are good snipers, and they do enjoy the game. of course different people are going to enjoy the game for different aspects; just toning down the game until everything is the same is only going to make the game more monotonous.

I do enjoy fighting snipers. it's something different, and some of my favorite moments in empires have been when i've been pinned down by a sniper or snuck up on one that has my squad pinned down.

It's not as though the sniper rifle is over powered, far from it. it's just different, useful in different situations. while in most situations a rifle is better, there are occasions where the scout rifle is really impressive.

I totally totally agree that the scout is a fairly useless class at the moment. I think that scouts are generally a deficit to the team and are not team players. but that is the way we have set him up, NOT because of the rifle we gave him.

Why would you give the scout a medium range weapon? why would ANYONE pick the scout if he had a medium range weapon, when they could instead choose to be a rifleman, the king of medium range weaponary. i imagine you'd rather have another mildly different rifleman class than a spectrum of different classes.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'd like to invite you to think how easily we could make the scout a useful member of the team.

-what if scouts were NEVER targetted by turrets?
    -what if scouts could run with stealth at the cost that their stamina decays slowly?
    -what if scouts could fire from stealth at the cost of stamina?
    -what if scouts could cloak people near them?
    -what if scouts could sabotage vehicles, giving the suicidal charge on a vehicle a worthwhile purpose?
    -what if scouts could pick up ammo from enemies or provide ammo for team mates?

these are ideas that make the game MORE DIVERSE and more interesting, instead of just going down monotony road with a similar but-not-quite-as-good assault rifle.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Snipers work well in FPS were the objective is to shoot the nme in the face/exetera then maybe walk up to a flag and stand around for a couple min and shoot some other people in the face.

However empires isn't a random FPS and there are RTS elements that play a huge part in winning the game and the scout fails miserably here. Sabotaging buildings is somewhat useful but an engineer can do pretty much the same damage in the same time with engy grenades and actually finish off the building. Sticky stuns have limited application in nme comm rushes. Anything less than a head shot alot of the time just ends with the enemy getting healed. Once game gets to tanks scouts are very vulnerable and even less useful. Their stickies are decent however they require tank/gren support to get a kill usually whereas rifleman are going to be in the front lines where the tanks are and their stickies do considerable damage by themselves. Engineers can repair tanks, grenadiers can shoot tanks or mine and have good skills for tank drivers.

Its not that scouts sniping are useless per say, its just the opertunity cost of having a scout is very high. A grenadier or engineer would be in almost all cases a lot more useful than said scout and even a rifleman which can directly support engineers and grenadiers in the front lines are in my opinion a lot more valuable for a team to have.

In general scouts may be able to contribute decently to your team from a FPS aspect (To be honest I find that they rarely even contribute that well in this category I almost always have more kills than any scout even just playing engineer) but they are severely lacking at contributing from the RTS aspect by killing tanks/buildings exetera. Again I believe rifleman are more useful here with decent damage stickies and as well they can support grenadiers and engineers right at the front lines.

I don't really like the idea of hide/scout/sniper class in general. I think the game should focus on keeping everyone close and working together and right now grens/rifle/engineers all generally stick in groups and support each other at least to some degree. I think scouts should be replaced with a special ops type class with a carbine type rifle and maybe det packs that take a while to set up and are remotely detonated, with decent damage against buildings and good for covering choke points against tanks. Dunno.

But yeah, in general scout sux.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Gotta love that, always happens when someone gets pissed off. Never ceases to amaze me how often I've seen this phrase, and not just with Empires. :D

6. Androc

Androc Member

Honestly, I'm just sad to see snipers go because they were so fun to use. The absolute best fun I've had in Empires is as sniper, assisting an armor rush on an enemy base. Your vehicles get bogged down by legions of guerilla grenadiers and continually repairing turrets, and it seems like there's nothing anyone can do. But then you, the sniper, take position and it all comes crashing down around their little heads. Or, who could forget, the intense pressure of sniper duels: Bullets kick up dirt inches from your head, and you have precious seconds to seek and neutralize your assailant. Do you fire as quickly as possible, or do you take the extra time and risk to carefully line up a headshot?

Personally, I don't think the sniper rifle is particularly remarkable as a ranged weapon. Its range is the longest, sure, but not by that wide of a margin. In 90% of all battles, if a rifleman sees you, you're toast. No, the sniper rifle is a stealth weapon. If people just used it like that, I don't think they'd have any complaints about balance.

Nonetheless, if it really has to go, I repeat my earlier question: What's replacing it?

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

A carbine, and possibly a shotgun.

Extra emphasis on possibly.

Did I mention it's not definite?

8. Androc

Androc Member

Shotgun sounds interesting, but what exactly do you mean by 'carbine'? Firing mode? Clip size? Damage? Rate of fire?

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

A carbine as in a semi automatic long distance rifle with out a scope..

Give the scouts the 2nd pistol choice!

10. Androc

Androc Member

So it's... the NF heavy rifle? Ew. I miss the sniper already.

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Well actually a carbine is traditionally just a shorter version of the main battle rifle. Therefore it tends to be less accurate and have a slower muzzle velocity(which might translate into less dmg). Term originated from when calvary cut down their muskets so they would be easier to use on horses.

12. km_

km_ Member

LOL! A shotgun....something that has nothing to do with stealth what-so-ever! Is the scout going to get a decrease in health AND move 75% faster too? Will he get double jump and have a Brooklyn accent as well?

Oh, and with changes like this, yes, the mod is dying.

13. Androc

Androc Member

Remember, guys, Team Fortress is the only game that has ever used shotguns in the history of ever.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's obviously going to die because it wants to abstain from video gaming cliches. :rolleyes:
    And he'll be a New Yorker long before he goes Aussie, but more likely French. ;O

15. km_

km_ Member

I will pass this bit of info onto the 3d Realms people. I am sure Duke would disagree.

16. Androc

Androc Member

...You can't be serious.

I was being sarcastic about how you were making the wild generalization that obviously, an association of the words 'scout' and 'shotgun' can only possibly refer to a Team Fortress 2 class.

17. km_

km_ Member

Surprised you didnt sense the sarcasm yourself.

18. Tea&Cookies

Tea&Cookies Member

Well, while KM was refering to TF2 in his earlier post, I can assure you that Duke nukem had Shotguns way before TF2, and oh god do I even need to say Half Life had them? TF started as a mod for HL......

Back on topic though, if were replacing the botl action rifle with a shotgun can I get my Brenodi suit exchanged for a Sparatan suit Perferably in Sage, dont forget the rechargable shields, oh and give me the ability to jack enemy vehicles, and let me make amazing jumps that dont hurt me! The final product should you do it correctly would hopefully looks like this,

[​IMG]

19. km_

km_ Member

Yea, and I want ninjas in the mod, give them stealth and melee weapons..I will be happy then

20. Tea&Cookies

Tea&Cookies Member

If you get ninjas, Then I sure as hell better have a rift fucking generator...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.