Professional Music in empires

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Vessboy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

The winners tune is pretty ace. Could make a great aircraft trailer.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

can i state here and now that i love the winners tune? commanders should be able to trigger these music as to put the players into a certain mood, for example while rushing with tanks winners should play

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

That's what the micspammers are for ;) .

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you could put a trigger in a map, so when you are about to tank rush, you press the button and the other team can feel the suspense as they wait for the tanks to come pouring in..... :P

5. johnsky

johnsky Member

Oh!

That's it!

That's what I was thinking of earlier and totally forgot...

Why don't you use the numbers of players as a trigger? If there's no players left on one team (or very few) it could trigger epic fight to the death type music!

... anyhow, the music is coming along slowly on my end. I really desperately need software of my own.

What is everyone else using for their compositions? It doesn't have to be record label software... just something that doesn't sound two years more advanced than "beep boop"

6. Chahk

Chahk Member

7. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I think that song is too clichéd

8. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

ARGH

This is from Requiem for a Dream (which was published in 2000... LotR was in 2001), which is one dramatic movie! :|

The name of the track is actually "Lux Aeterna" by Clint Mansell which means "eternal light". He made some other great ones as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOZuQ_r3ROY the movie it's from is a bit weird, but wait out for the ending... it gets really nice. :3

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. ghost12332

ghost12332 Member

I would contribute a soundtrack or two, most likely an orchestral mockup but if it was needed I would do another instrument set. I'm fully proficient in music with 10 years of piano, 3 years of Bass Guitar, 2 year of Electric & Acoustic Guitar, and synth.

You can see some of my work on my acidplanet page.

Please click play song in the upper right hand corner of the song box.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1198236&t=4266

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1187891&t=4266

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1198233&t=4266

The links are provided in lossless WMA format. Any up-to-date computer that uses windows update should have the neccessary codecs, but I'll provide alternate streaming and/or download links if requested.

------------------------

EDIT: How do you guys like this little trumpet n bass thing I just did? I tried adding other stuff, but truly the percussion alone fit best for my idea of the all powerful 'empires'

Streaming: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=sAIuw1

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. johnsky

johnsky Member

I like your work Ghost. Very haunting.

I think your style as it is might work well as an ambiance during a match.
    But that's not for me to decide.

Hey, while I continue to look for software, it's probably only good manners to let you all listen to one of my recent pieces.
    It's done without any software other than a simple audio recorder... (yeah... that's what I'm currently working with. Pretty bad huh?)

Anyhow, here's what I managed to do recently with a Yamaha Clavinova, speaker wire, and an on-board sound card. http://www.switchpod.com//users/johnsky/mentaldecay.mp3

(What I would give for a mixer, a midi cable, and recording software.)
    If you want to check out my page it's here... http://seventhverse.blogspot.com/2009/01/mental-decay.html

Anyways, that's obviously not what I'm planning for Empires... unless you can find somewhere for it, then I give you permission to use it... but I highly doubt it would work in the game.

Any suggestions as to the software you enjoy using for your music is very much appreciated. I desperately need a decent software suite.

11. ghost12332

ghost12332 Member

I use Reaper as my DAW (Can host VSTi, free, except you see a 6 second splash screen if you don't pay $50)

I have a nice little $90 eurorack mixer

$40 M-Audio Uno midi Midi-USB Interface

And I use East West Symphonic Orchestra Gold for my songs ($700). This is most likely what the linked to paid composer uses, though perhaps the platinum version ($1200). No real difference between the 2 except for 24 bit audio vs. 16 bit audio. No real audible difference still :S

And while $100 per minute seems like alot, in the industry the going rate is $2000 a minute. He is taking a HUGE price cut, even though it may only take him a couple hours ;)
    Thats right ladies and gentlemen, 10 minutes of music = $20,000. Want to be rich? Learn some instruments :D

EDIT: Heres a version 2 of the above song, addresses a couple issues cyber-kun didn't like about it http://www.supload.com/listen?s=P2kVAB

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  12. johnsky

johnsky Member

Excellent, Reaper seems to be just what I've been looking for in a DAW.
    It's VSTi system seems to be easy enough. I'll spend some time looking for additional plugins and instruments, but so far I'm pretty impressed.

Seriously? 20,000?

Why in gods name did I become a roboticist?! lol.

Alright, soon I will be picking up a replacement USB-Midi interface. My original?, well... there's only so much re-soldering you can do before the thing looks like spaghetti. (I'm a bit of a do-it-yourself obsessed guy.) And I don't have a gameport on my PC.
    Luckily that shouldn't be too hard to find. I've seen them at PC stores and Steve's Music downtown. Not to mention e-bay.

Soon enough I'll be recording digitally again!

If you listen to any of my concept recordings closely, you can hear the processor clicking away and interfering with the sound card. Nice huh?

13. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

1. Make robot.
    2. Program robot to make music
    3. Repeat step 1&2
    4. Sell music at industry rate
    5. ?????
    6. Profit!

14. ghost12332

ghost12332 Member

Actually, I developed a system that could be hardcoded in the game that sort of was like that.

Ok, so to begin with you have 60 second loops, like, alot of them. For starters say 5 violin, 5 viola, 5 cello, 5 trumpet, etc. All of them interesting. No, make it 6. Half of them are based off of notes that go well with C, E, G, and B. The other half are based off of note D, F, A. You mark them as to which note set, and the game only picks from that note set otherwise is a D and a C got used at the same time it would sound like crap.

I don't, could generate some cool and wacky dynamic orchestral soundtracks. Maybe I'll do a mockup in Visual Studio, we shall have to see how much time I have :)

15. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

sound engineering is where it's at...

16. johnsky

johnsky Member

Yeah, game triggered and guided music patterns would have my support.
    Is it doable within empires?

I think we're going to need some input from the code monkeys involved with Empires on this one... not just us ivory smashers. :D

But good concept never-the-less.

17. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

If it sounds good, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'd posit it wouldn't be quite as good as individual premade songs, but only time will tell.

18. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I got 2 "winning team songs" almost ready. Both of which include peak polyphony of over 100 notes. They're about 20sec each, so it could propably fit in the map end. I'll upload them when I have the time to do the final adjustments and so on...

To prepare you: I though that BE and NF should have pretty different themes, so the BE one is more of a fanfare with lots of brass and joyful melody whereas the NF one has more of a sad melody (ending in major chord, though) with choir and vast strings.

I'll post them here as soon as I can.

Edit: So, I uploaded the songs now. Go listen and say what you think: http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=115535&displ_lang=en

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  19. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

These sound pretty good, only thing I noticed is the imaging could use a bit of work :P

20. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

While they're not bad, I don't think they quite match the factions in my mind.

Your BE theme sounds imperial, but more medievil than futuristic. I also think it could use some fleshing out with lower tones.

For NF, I also think it needs a bit more of a futuristic deconstructive sound.

That's just me though.