Professional Music in empires

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Vessboy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. RKB53

RKB53 Member

I agree with empires needing some more music, But its pointless if we have to pay because the music we have now is perfect.
    And weihukka I like that song it fits.

2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I like Weihukka's song

3. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

The start is a bit to mono tone, don't count on the snares to supply your high notes. Tone down the echo on the snare. and give the french horn some. The string is unrealistic, but cool. the second movement is wonderfuly started but loses momentum when the beat stops, I recomend having another istrument doing the bassline aswell at those points. This song easly has more depth. But it dose get long. If you spen more time on shorter songs the effect will show. And you might see what a little teckno touch might do.

Basicly Give the Beat more love. Cause with this song, a good heavy beat will go a long way.

4. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

You're right about most of those things, but like I said, it's not finished.

Btw: I hate techno.

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

[quote='[PRKL] ...Btw: I hate techno.[/quote]

You have to edmit tho.. It gets in your head. Where you want your music to be. besides the best tecno is written from an orchastral perspective.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Think of the conflict in empires. It isn't epic. It isn't even for honor or glory. It's for the right to subjugate one another, to be superior to one another. There is no great emotion in that. The only emotion in empires is down to a personal level in the heat of battle. There is a sense of heightened adrenaline, of things going quickly. In the end, no one wins. Everyone loses. It's all about who loses less.

That's why I think the music fits quite well with the current game. If you think about it, in every aspect of the design, there is no significant difference in the game other than appearance. Whether this was intentional or not, I think this does reflect a racial conflict in the empires universe. There is a very strong emotion there, but it is a self righteous emotion, not a good guy emotion. No one is fighting for equality, they are fighting for dominance.

That in and of itself, is very sad and mellow. Why should the music have great ups and downs? In this kind of conflict, no such thing exists. The ups for one side are downs for the other, and when neither is good, and neither is evil, there is no sense for the ups or downs.

If the story was written as a heroic attempt to destroy an evil empire, then it would fit. But it isn't.

7. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I think like you. If that honor/glory-thing was supposed to be quote of my song's name, it isn't supposed to describe the song in anyway. It was what first came to my mind.

I think Empires needs minimalistic music, and that's what it has now. The music could be better, but it's not bad as it is now.

8. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

Pretty good song for sure...A little compression here and there and touch up that reverb on the snare and your good to go. ^^

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

wasn't supposed to be a quote, but it made me think about that.

Your music was very mellow. i guess surreal would be a good word for it. I liked how it felt compared to the mood in empires.

but I do prefer real instruments when listening to music. Computer generated music doesn't have the ins and outs of the instruments when played by a person. It's times like these I realize my vocabulary is shit, cause I can't always think of the best way to describe what I'm thinking, but I'm glad you got it.

10. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Yes, I prefer real instruments too, but I surely can't afford a real symphonic ochestra, so I prefer doing my own music by myself. :D Even though that's no match for the real thing, at least I play them myself with midi keyboard.

Anyway, I changed the name and uploaded a new version. Not final, but it's very close. http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=115535&displ_lang=en

11. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

computer music is 4tw

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

The beginning strings are holding there notes to long, Add some breaks. And give the snares some base drum backup for that beat in the begining. Second movement the drums hepl but you need a steady boom... boom... boom. Not trying to blend, just holding a pace. And bringing the horns back in the third piece is a bit too much of the same sound. maybe fit some metal xilophone in there playing a lighter theme.

And really the song is to long. 30-50 seconds. Your not trying to score an entire match, Just give it an intro.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I like the snare and background sounds very much. When that french horn comes in though, some of it's notes are really quick. the speed of the notes doesn't really fit the mood. Other than that, i love it. At around 2:08 it goes to the first base sound, then cuts into the new part at 2:17. This quick cut either makes the 9 seconds prior feel as if it is either un needed or has been cut off prematurely.

I would love to have this playing when you first join spec in the server or something. Possibly an intro screen like TF2 or insurgency has, with this music in the background.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

that's pretty awesome. it's kinda got the BF1942 quality orchestral, but, it seems too...toned down...not epic enough. It would be great music to play during an interlude of some kind.

15. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Actually, I don't agree with most of that. At the beginning, I like that cellos playing legato. They don't need to brake when they play the same notes. And I like my "boom boom" in some other songs. And I tried to add many things to it before, but it so full of stuff already, that it makes the song only worse.

What comes to the running time, I made a full song. And I didn't do it for Empires particularly. I can cut parts of it (and remix) to be actually in the game, if the development team wants and if I give a permission to use it.

And believe it or not, but I know why I do something and why I leave something undone in a song. Some things just don't work, even if they are great ideas in general. Been there, done that.

16. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

This would be great for the main menu or music if you play as the commander. (FPS combad needs FPS music and RTS combat needs RTS combat, this music fits into the RTS category).

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

aint that the truth of the ages

18. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Yes, but even I forget that truth once in a while.

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Lies,, all lies....

what do you call it when a Lie is the truth?

20. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Propaganda?

Seriously, I don't manage to understand.