Professional Music in empires

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Vessboy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I agree with you Werihukka; make music that YOU like and feel is appropriate. If you're not doing something you enjoy, there's no point. I appreciate effort you are putting in, and have complete confidence that you'll produce a solid piece of music.

No offense to Vessboy, but if he doesn't like it he can go make his own music. His undeniable stringency to quality would surely produce some interesting pieces if he chose such a path. (Yes, this is a request)

As a sidenote, I think songs longer than 30 seconds are exactly what Empires needs. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

i think THIS is what you are thinking of...
    FYI it is the BF 2142 theme tune, and i am aiming for something like that.

or THIS?

Yes, i am still trying to get my hands on an editing suite, but i DO have miles of music written on paper waiting to be turned into .mp3 format.

And before we go shooting off in a montage of creativity, may we humbly ask where is the music going to be needed? main menu? loading? in game?

it is quite important to know, actually.

THAT information will be VERY usefull.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

4. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

blizzerd's link doesnt work...

5. Demented

Demented Member

That music is so patriotically cheezy that it belongs in a Steven Seagal movie. Assuming they didn't steal the notes from one.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it does for me, its a rapidshare upload

7. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Now we need an animated gui screen :P

8. johnsky

johnsky Member

Alright, composers file in!

I've been playing the empires mod for a while myself, loving it!
    (I'm simpson7 if you want to know)

I'm a composer on the side, mostly piano pieces, I've done pieces for things like wedding marches and signings, reel music for my animator friends, and other rather uninteresting things, but I should be able to donate something a little more your style for your review.
    (I'm also a robotics tech, who has recently been laid off due to the financial situation we're all in... yay, I guess. So I've got some time to donate.)

I don't get upset when people chose someone elses work over mine... so you won't have to worry if you don't want it.

I want to replace this god awful studio software I'm using at the moment, so it may take a bit before I can submit what I'm thinking of.

I would also very much like to hear other composers work in the mean time as would the rest of us I'm sure!

At least hold off before you start forking out $100 a minute... that's a steep price for something that was completely digitally done.

I'm sure we (users of empires) have enough talent to produce the music you need without having to pay for it.

(A little spot in the credits would be nice for the winning composers though)

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that's what they thought about mappers. >_>

(that was meant to go towards the amount of maps out, not the quality....)

^_^

it would be nice for the devs to find some noise talent to help with the void that has been left in angry's wake. (mwahahaha, navy joke).

10. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

*SLAP*

That is the worst pun of the day. Congradulations.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

Actually, although I like his song, I had the feeling I was going to play some weird "Alice in Winderland" meets "Roman Empires" meets "Lord of the rings" game..

but that might just be me..
    I just like the empires soundtrack and I don't want ingame music...

12. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

13. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I have another piece of work up there now. It's most propably too juicy for Empires (I played some heavy metal guitars to it, for the lulz), but if someone wants to listen to my other work as well, go ahead. But please remember that those songs are for private use only without my personally writen consent.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=115535&displ_lang=en

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

That's cool. It sounds like something out of Command and Conquer.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

"Winners Write the History"=Win.

I could see that fitting Empires

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  16. johnsky

johnsky Member

Alright, while I continue to search for studio software, I'm spending some time on a buddies PC using his.
    By the way, the original intro music, what software was used for that, I'm curious to know.

I'm starting off with what I think would be good for the sudden death music...

I have a question though.
    Will sudden death be a fixed length of time? Or is it variable depending on the hosts servers settings?

I ask because, if it's a set length of time, I can end the piece a certain way as to add to dramatic effect... but if it's variable, I'll have to come up with a rather long looping piece to account for however long the server may end up deciding sudden death is.

I don't have it ready for listening yet, it will probably be a week (I never seem to think music is done). The percussion is almost ready, next I'll be adding strings etc.

I'm going for a heartbeat feeling at first... whatever, you'll understand when it's done. It's been a long time since I broke away from classical piano style... this is quite the change of style to get my head around.

I might try using piano in the future to make the defeat music though... the piano can be a pretty depressing instrument in the right hands. :D

17. CoolPenguin

CoolPenguin Member

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

The count down to start sudden death is 300 seconds. Once Sudden death is triggered the match can end at any time. So I would recommend a subtle 10 second loop for suddendeath, But a 300 sec build up track would be awsome.

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It needs this:
    http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8t3Lt8iJw&feature=related

20. johnsky

johnsky Member

lol LordDz.
    I get the feeling it's taken, and I think the players wouldn't be able to finish the game on account of laughing too much. :D

Alright, so this gives me a better idea of what to work with.