Northern Faction Heavy Tank Balancing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by KILLX, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I love my MLs, and give me a 5 ML heavy any day. I think i have perfected the art of aiming standard MLs at enemy tanks, and a heavy with 5 MLs is devasdating against BE tanks; Twin UMLs are just amazing with their faster speed and higher damage. Twin homing MLs are NOT useless, Not by a longshot. Especially on open maps. A salvo of two homing MLs wil almost always hit a single side of armor, and it will even eat through 6 layers of any armor except reative so you can land a HE on their hull and then kill them. (reactive is the god against MLs, a full salvo of UML will only take out maybe 3 plates)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

In a tank war, Dual rails will rape me. Always. But the tank system imo is perfect right now. Because the NF heavy can be UBER destructive with 5 MLs. I gunned through a base with one but then the BE tank killed me ;_;. I take back all the bitching and whining about the NF heavy, I know how to play it now.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

5ml heavy is best thought of as a shotgun, or the impact hammer from UT.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

hell no Chris. if you aim right you can snipe with it. just find a big target and aim well and most missiles will hit it.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Sort of like a shotgun, you mean?

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

no, a shotgun is close range, and it doesnt require all that much aiming since it has alot of spread. the missiles need to be well aimed however, since they dont all fire from the center of your reticle.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Actually the effective range of a shotgun depending on load isn't really that short. Chris's analogy is quite apposite in my opinion, bunch of shells that can hit a large target over a distance or a small one up close.

Also if you think you don't have to aim up close with a shotgun please go shooting. Most loads are pretty damn accurate within 25 yards.

Killx weren't you the guy arguing pistols are fired using mechanical force??

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. Slamz

Slamz Member

On a flat plain, firing over fully built walls, BE can hit a lot of NF structures a whole lot easier with cannons than NF can do to BE by trying to fire missiles.

So I call "balanced". Or close enough. Walls seriously impede the ability to hit things with missiles but they don't do a lot to block arcing cannon fire.

And add in the fact that the NF barracks is huuuuge. Wall or no, you can hit it from a mile away with pretty much anything.

9. Sewage

Sewage Member

While on the subject, any chance the NF heavy can get a model update to actually look like it is carrying missiles.

10. picard131

picard131 Member

This is probably the only worthwhile idea I've seen in this thread.

11. Sewage

Sewage Member

Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to add a missile crate, although I'm no modeler to know.

My vote is for Heavy tank MODEL balance!!

BE already displays it's dual cannon strength as it is.

12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Remember guys, Don Megel said that in the next version the NF HEavy is losing the extra ml slots and getting side sponsons, so don't get too carried away in suggestions. (Not to be a buzzkill.)

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

good point Lobster. We can safely assume there will be no visible ML rack on the NF heavy then :(

14. Sewage

Sewage Member

I'm ignorant. What's are side sponsons? Side cannons?

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Yes. The 2 cannons on the side of the NF Heavy will be man-able by passengers. Total of 3 players with vehicular weaponry.

16. polaski

polaski Member

I belive it was decided the cannons were gonna be 2 slotters (dont quote me)but that was quite a while ago so right now we have a MRLS but think a heavy with a rail gun, a nuke, and 2 HE cannons lol

17. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

but.... damn... big ol' missile rack would just look so freaking cool.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wouldn't that be crap though? Who's going to pack three players into a tank full of guns? For one thing you'd overheat faster than a celibate in a whorehouse and two, you'd never find someone willing to man them, you can only shoot out of one side of the tank, and then you'd be moving perpendicular to the target, so it'd be hard as hell to hit anything.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I want to give chris some sort of award. Stop talking about hypothetical stuff that is tentative like it is fact please, k thx bai.

20. Avair

Avair Member

speaking of hypothetical thoughts, i imagine the aa tank will be able to double as an ml arty, even if it can only shoot upwards ^^