Northern Faction Heavy Tank Balancing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by KILLX, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There's no need to balance anything - BE heavy can take double railguns. BTW KILLX remove this fucking signature it takes literally 10 times more space than your posts.

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Just a quick calculation - Salvo Homing ML does almost double the damage per slot as the Standard ML. And the UML does 10 less damage than 2 StMLs.

Therefore, Dual SHML would do 320 damage in one shot. Is that enough to take down a building? Therefore, you could charge in, get a lock and get out before anyone knows you are there.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Dual salvo homing missiles are totally deadly. give two noobs tanks with that and not even a pro can stop them. Your only chance is to get really close to one of them, allowing him to fire his shots off easily, while breaking the lock of the other one, and then use the corpse of that one if you're fast enough to kill him to break the lock of the other guy.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

not true Sandbag. If they are noobs they would fire both salvos at once, overheating.

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

A single Heavy can clear out a base no problem... NOTHING beats the speed at which the NF heavy is able to take down bases... doesnt matter how many turrets you have; the sheer armound and spread of ML's will tear up any turrets...

Cyclopean has enough res to support teams in heavies... So does Slaughtered... On default settings... The res thing is more map dependant then server...

6. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Nothing wrong with the NF heavy, end of thread.

7. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

NF heavies are good at taking out bases in big groups, BE heavies are good at taking out NF heavies in small groups. If you get a heavy NF into the enemy base long enough to shoot at the buildings, you deserve to win, because either your team is doing really well or the other side is full of morons.

I'd say it's just fine.

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i'm gonna agree with MOOtant on this one-- that sig is getting a bit silly XD

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Just drive a heavy in there and missilespam his sig to death.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Fixed.

11. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

See? Heavy tanks dont need balancing, they do a great job blowing up sigs.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

dont make me re-inflate it! I still have the old code handy!

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

okay, well firstly it's FOUR salvos. I might have forgot to mention it but the time I encountered it, I was BE and they were NF. as you turn and move the missiles all end up going for you from the same direction which means that generally they all hit the same plate.

what's more, I was talking about giving these to new players. new players don't know how to predict enemy tank movement, how to move in and move out. more often than not they'll just sit still and point at the enemy tank. and this is EXACTLY where this situp shines.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The counterpoint to this is that the BE can mount something like two plasma cannons and stall the NF heavies before they get near the base, as I doubt the NF would bother taking coolant or bio diesel because as you say, their rockets don't evolve much heat.

The NF have an advantage against large structures (missiles are inaccurate so they can't hit small targets like well placed turrets) while the BE have the advantage against tanks.

I tried the dual homing salvo once, the overheating combined with the fact that the missiles move slower than a geriatric snail on pension day makes them kinda useless unless your opponent is sat in the middle of a wide open space. On maps such as crossroads and any of the urban maps though, you can just back behind something and then pop out and blow the NF heavy a new asshole with your dual cannons.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

cyclopean, and there were 2 enemy heavies, but I could tell by the way they just sat there I would have normally totally kicked butt, but suddenly loads of stuff started flying at me and I died.

to be honest, I'm not really trying to fight for it, just saying what happened

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I expect they would be quite devastating if you could hit things with them, I've just never been able to is all.

I was more interested in the plain salvo packs, they're more accurate than the standard MLs.

17. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

BE heavies are overpowered NOT NF heavies tbh
    BE heavies kill tanks, NF heavies kill bases if they ever get into your base
    those dual railguns kill any NF heavy, with the nerf of absorbant it eats through absorbant as if it was composite meaning there is no counter railgun amour any more

So there pretty balenced in there own way...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

If the right person is in that 5 ML heavy, they can rape tanks.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I have only read a few posts, one volley of rockets won't kill major buildings
    k thx bai

Sandbag stop making generalizations off 1 time you died. Homing is marginal at best if they rush you the DPS sucks (hitting 25% of the time with UML probably has better DPS) and if they are far away it is easy enough to break a lock before they get a solid one. Also it sucks against buildings.

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The lock functionality of homing missles sucks

I don't see a problem with the current system