NF Heavy VS BE Heavy

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Krenzo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Whatever happened to the plan to balance them by letting the NF heavy drive over and crush other tanks? I liked that idea.
    Also, side turrets manned by gunners.
    But primarily NF tanks crushing other tanks. That and extra armor was I believe one of the original balances.

2. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I have come up with a completely different and unique solution. Altough it requires a lot of work (therefore probably not making it's way to 2.0), it'd still be really fun and interesting in my opinion. It's a nerf for BE tanks, but not just any kind of a nerf...

Make the little tank wheels breakable, each of them individually. I mean the ones visible on the BE medium and heavy tanks. Strong explosions (caused by a direct hit from a HE shell, a mortar shell, or a sticky grenade) should make them fly off. When one side loses over a half of it's wheels, the tread on that side doesn't pull anymore. The wheels have to be repaired, which could be done slowly with +E, or quickly with the calculator.

3. Simon

Simon Banned

How about we try for a solution for 2.0. Not to get down on the ideas but this isn't fantasy island. What could we change with weapon/tank scripts pretty much is what I'm getting at.

4. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Yeah, I understand that. I was just saying that this could be done later, possibly replacing whatever method of balancing we're going to use now.

Like I already said, I think reducing the heating rate (if possible) would work well.

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

My original plan was to increase heavy tank heat capacity to 120. I can still do that.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's not about making 10 circles around enemy per second but about dodging missiles easily. It can be done on any map.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

doesn't anyone else here think that the BE heavy is MEANT to be better than the NF heavy? the NF LT is certainly better than the BE AFV.

ok: so if you just look at the BE heavy and NF heavy then you're gunna say "wtf this is unfair", but in actual game terms it rarely means than BE have an advantage.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Why not just make the NF Heavy cheaper?

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

That's true but how many times you have seen NF to use their LTs when BE has had heavy tanks?

Nowadays I haven't seen that happening at all. Why? Because double HE cannons can instantly kill NF LTs even with composite armor because they have only 2 layers of armor.

Again a bit exaggerated but to be honest NF LTs can't last long against double HE cannons poundering on them so it is just better to use mediums or heavies.

But crushing over ability would be fun and it would for sure stop those tiny jeeps getting under NF tanks but in the other hand again BE's medium tanks would get wasted quite quickly by NF heavies. But again, this won't make it to the 2.0.

I think, if you think about it a while, easiest and fastest way to balance this would be that NF heavies would have already better cooling rate by +1. That would mean that Bio Diesel would cool them down at ration of 7 instead of 6 and advanced coolant engine would be cooling at ration of 11 and not 10 but this could again lead to missiles being overpowered because you wouldn't overheat at all with them when you have advanced coolant engine.

Maybe not have the value as high as +1 but around +0,5 or something.

Or maybe increase NF heavy's maximum weight a bit so people could get more missiles on them without stripping down the armor from its current amount but this would require very careful adjusting because it can very easily get overpowered once again.

So I think simplest ways would be either giving NF heavy an advanced cooling rate which would be added to their engine's normal cooling rate or increase their maximum weight capability a little bit.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

weedy I'm not saying that an LT can hold it's own against a BE heavy.

I'm saying that because the LT is used in EVERY SINGLE match, including at the start of those maps including the BE heavy, NF ALWAYS get the advantage at the start, where in only a small minority of games BE gets that advantage.

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Ever since the standard cannon has been nerfed; the LT's and AVF's have been on par...

12. Simon

Simon Banned

Ever since the thing that effects them both equally got nerfed they are now equal?

LTs are less of an advantage now that standard cannon is nerfed but they are still better than AFVs. Unless of course your amazing and can use the extra range afforded by the higher turret to kill LTs before they get to you.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yah I do that all the time

seriously now: does the decreased size (both height and length), increased accelleration, ease of rotation and from what I've experienced increased top speed count for nothing?

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

It wasn't the standard cannon nerf that helped, it was the extra vertical range of motion.

15. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

In my opinion, armor is useless if the firepower is much higher. You have more armor, yes, but it doesnt help at all when it gets destroyed in a few seconds!
    You may compensate that with one layer of armor less for each side of the BE heavy except the back and one cannon slot more for the NF heavy.

16. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Ultimate Solution: BE Heavy Tanks are the protoss (Strong but slow) and NF Heavies are the zerg (cheap and fast).

NF can pull off mass rushing, BE can steamroll through a base.

So have NF be limited in weaponry, but make them uber cheap to produce, while BE can keep their WMDs.

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What about giving the NF Hvy a 3 slot mg? or two mgs?

18. Simon

Simon Banned

All tanks should be roughly balanced 1 on 1. What if both teams have enough res for everyone to be in a tank? If it takes two NF tanks for every 1 BE heavy you occupy 2 of your troops whereas BE only occupies 1. A lone BE soldier can do alot more in 1 tank rendering your good players more usefull. It is sucks for NF where they have to use teamwork and coordinate where BE doesn't. This isn't a pure RTS and shouldn't be balanced like one.

19. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Give both heavies 4 cannon slots, the BE heavy more armor, the NF heavy more speed than the BE heavy and make the NF heavy a tiny bit cheaper than the BE heavy.

20. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

In my suggestion, NF is also fast. So it would be like how it is with LT vs AFV. An experienced LT user would be able to "dodge" attacks as well as dish out some damage.

And even if it's skewed towards the BE heavy in a 1vs1 situation, you should be able to bounce back with another heavy tank on a drop of a dime (since it's somewhat cheap to produce) and finish off your opponent (assuming that it's not an engie in the BE cockpit).

Another idea is not to revolve tank battles around light vs light, medium vs medium, and heavy vs heavy. But have tank battles revolve around a mixture of the 4 types of tanks. So maybe it's better to have 2 Arties, 4 Mediums, and 2 Heavies instead of 8 Heavies because you have heavies in the front taking all the damage while mediums harass the target and arties dishing out all the damage.

Of course the above idea would only work if the weapon system was TOTALLY revamped, so lets put this in the future versions pile :].