New GUI idea (for next empires version) with a picture

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lithium, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I think the circular minimap will just take up more space or show less of the map (either way is not desirable). I don't mind the HUD the way it is the only thing I would change is we should have a key to turn the mini-map on and off (not transparent but gone completely). A Simple HUD is better, bulky flashy ones are irritating to me.

Also, as a side note, I think there should be a screenshot mode. It's really annoying having to keep all that suff in our screenshot. I realize there is probably some kind of command or something to get rid of HUD, but I think it should be in the controls.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I wish there was a way you could assign a button to take screenshots in a way that even if you did still have your HUD up, that wouldn't be visible on the screenshot. currently, you can make a command for "cl_drawhud 0" and use that followed by screenshot, but having to press 1 button instead of 3 would be much better.

I'd be prepared to say that "hud removing" button should be added to the controls menu, as for spectating it's made my spectating a LOT more enjoyable.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

bind "key" "cl_drawhud 0; wait; jpeg; wait; cl_drawhud 1"

Not perfect, I know butit should do what you need at a touch of a button :)

4. Melee

Melee Member

I use this , makes clean screenshots, jus put in your auotexec.cfg
    // Good Screenshot Bind
    alias +goodshot "cl_drawhud 0; snapshot"
    alias -goodshot "cldrawhud 1; "
    bind "F9" "+goodshot"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

[​IMG]

Empires has ALOT of information that needs to be displayed... I think it would be bets if we went with a semi transperant hud...

The circle idea is nice; and it doesnt mean you have to cut corners off...

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

What is so wrong with spreading the HUD out into all the corners instead of cluttering it all in one corner?

7. ^Dee^

No harm in making suggestions :)

Personally I prefer the current HUD to all of these suggestions. Shinzon's is probably the best imo if it were put in the upper corners and made a little transparent.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Simon> why does everyone want the minimap in bottom left????
    <^Noodles^> they're weird
    <Simon> really
    <Drag> because ... they don't think?
    <Drag> I mean, if you are ontop of a hill and need to look down the minimap will be in the way
    <Drag> a clear view on the ground is better than an empty sky
    <Drag> for rts it's different
    <Drag> because of the viewpoint
    <Simon> yeah
    <Simon> by far worst idea of the week
    <Drag> but empires is fps, so the stuff should stay up
    <KnightTemplar> I think it should be hide-able
    <Simon> i don't mind it as is
    <Simon> mind you i'm running at 1600*1050
    <Simon> might be more intrusive at lower resolutions
    <Lobster_roundandabout> i agree simon, you dont need the minimap on the bottom, unless aircraft suddenly appear and start making a huge impact on the game
    <Lobster_roundandabout> you're going to be looking at the lower part of your screen FAR more then the top.

9. Drag

Drag Member

I prefer the way it is, only minor changes like making it transparent. Cluttering the stuff into the lower left or right corner would be a huge, very huge mistake. A big blocky hud isn't up to date anymore, especially not in an FPS.

RTS games: HUD at the lower part of the screen because you have to look far and wide due to the viewpoint.

FPS games: Cluttering in one corner or one area of the screen generally bad, moreso if it is the lower part because you need to keep an eye on the ground to orient yourself. And at the moment there is nothing much going on in the sky. If you have to look down due to the hud it is bad because you lose the ability to look far.

10. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

What simon said, and what drag said. They echo my viewpoint precisely, and all I can do is TYPE IN ALL CAPS OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING to express this sentiment more strongly. really REALLY bad idea putting the huge-ass minimap on the bottom left corner. Like I said, bottom right would be at least better because that view is already obscured by your gun, but the ideal would be somehwere on top.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i want no hud or mini map, none of that crap.. it would be alot better with out

"cl_drawhud 0" is that somthing i can use in game to kill the clutter? or is it like a sv_cheats1 type thing

12. The Buttery Lobster

waitaminutewaitaminutewaitaminute.

Hold up.

Cant you make the minimap an optional thing, so you could disable it completely, if you wanted to? Why does it have to be a permanent HUD fixture?

It has to have the OPTION to run on screen, because the scout's enhanced senses operates ONLY with the minimap, but theoretically, every other class only needs to pull it up every minute or so. Less often on infantry maps.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

whoa whoa this suggestion isn't about putting the map in the bottom left, it's about creating a minimalist HUD which, even if hasn't been designed correctly yet, will be the best creation.

14. Lithium

Lithium Member

Yeah, Private Sandbag has the right Idea. Some people just have trouble paying attention I guess -_-

I created this topic to start discusion on how we can create a minimalist HUD, and I presentend my idea to get discusion started. So now that I got feedback from alot of people I'm going to create a second idea based on the feedback

(also some people dont know what semi-transparent HUD means)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  15. Lithium

Lithium Member

[​IMG]
    View second hud concept without legend

-option to change transparency (and turn the HUD off if you crank transparancy all the way up)
    -minimap is a bind in the controll menu (can turn on/off)
    -minimap is permanent in com mode
    -person icon could be a shiloete of an NF soldier or BE soldier

16. ^Dee^

heh, that reminds me of the old DoD beta HUDs (Before valve bought it)

Definately my favourite so far.

17. Kamber

Kamber Member

that can only be used when cheats are on.

I like lithiums HUD as well, its very minimal while still conveying all the info of the current HUD.

18. The Buttery Lobster

that looks good, i like it.

19. Lithium

Lithium Member

The only problem with my hud is what happens if its glycen or somthing? the hud might blend in, Perhaps have everything outlined with black?

which is why i propose customizable transparancy, people like Dubee can simply crank it all the way up, effectively turning off the hud.

edit: I'm going to link all of the HUD ideas come up with so far on my post on the front page so if this thread gets big then it isnt a hassle

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah this is my favorite "worst idea of the week"

if all this is possible i think it will make 3.0 look alot better..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.