New GUI idea (for next empires version) with a picture

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lithium, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

They will come important when the server is actualy full; and you are on your tank build limit :p

Happned during one of the PuG's

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yours looks good archanor, but i think it should be just a little less transparant. It works nicely for this screenshot, but in a bright map, or when looking to something bright, you wouldn't be able to read anything but the tickets. Apart from that i like it, most of all the location of the death messages.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i think what simon means is "do we need the word "commander: " " there? it's not like we need "health: " and "stamina: "

also, there are lots of alternatives to a permaneant tank counter taking up screen real estate. what i advocate is no tank counter but a translucent yellow tank to appear when only one more tank can be built, which turns red when no tanks can be built. you get all the information you need without needing to know that your team, as usual, has only 1 - 2 tanks.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

you could just press tab to see who the commander is

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

uhhh.. i mean we can have the NAME we just don't need the "commander: " bit. or that dubee :p, though i do think the commanders name there is useful.

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

If you mean by that my "Squad menu" thing I just inserted the text quickly there indicating the approximately width of the squad list which is in the game now.

I just allocated some space for it, the squad list/thing/HUD/thingy would be as it is now but the squad power would be on the right-top side of it and not in the end of it.

Edit: I also agree, it is easier and faster to find who's commanding looking to topleft corner instead of searching through a 13 player list and spending some time looking at it (when you exclude the other half of 13 players on the other team.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

weedy you [removed due to me learning its a real word with a bad meaning], i was talking about Arachanor's

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Mind the language killx. I've had to edit one of your posts already this week.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

huh, twat means something? sorry

edit: ah crap, just wiki'ed it, had no idea it even had a meaning, sorry weedy :(

edit 2: @dee: what other post?

11. Archanor

Archanor Member

Well, I guess the "Commander:" text could be replaced with an icon of the CV.

Also, there could be some options to changing the transparancy of the hud or making it minimalistic. (Changing healthbar and stamina to a classic number, and removing the resource / comm / vehicle things.) It would be similar to the TF2 HUD options.

Lastly, if we change the player GUI, should the Comm view and the rest of the menus be changed aswell? I can make examples for pretty much everything.

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Personally that one has been favorite so far. Mainly because the translucent effects might at least ease up on the clutter that you get when running at 800X600 (like I am).

13. Lithium

Lithium Member

3rd hud (minimalist)

Click here for image with legend

-transparancy option slider thing (crank it all the way to turn off hud)

-tanks/airplanes info appeirs under the tickets/com bar only when tank/plane limit is aproaching/there in a cool slidy animation
    -turret/radar health only shown when being attacked (not shown because its getting late and I want to sleep)
    -uses Archanor's Squad part of his hud

also this image uploader sucks and image shack keeps resizing it

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Weell...gotta say I liked yer previous attempts better. Looks to me like this is a version where "less is more" is taken too far.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

nice but i agree the previous version bottom left section looked better. on the other hand the top left bit looks much nicer now.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think the resizing happens because your image is too big in MBs and imageshack resizes instead reporting it's too big. At least that was the case with my picture, I think.

Anyway, you could always use tinypic.com but it doesn't have image thumbnail option. Also imagesocket.com is ok place but normally it tends to be as slow as imageshack.us and also reduce the quality of pictures from good to bad.

17. Archanor

Archanor Member

How about having the GUI fade out when using ironsight? Or just make it really transparent, except for the ammo bit.

18. Lithium

Lithium Member

edit:|ook 2 posts down

there we go, a hybrid of my 2nd and 3rd HUD

-tanks/airplanes info appeirs under the tickets/com bar only when tank/plane limit is aproaching/there in a cool slidy animation
    -turret/radar health only shown when being attacked (not shown)
    -HUD fades out when in iron sights (except ammo part and when being shot)

19. Kamber

Kamber Member

I like it but I would rather have the turret/radar health bars be permanent as its a pain too whip out your calc and right click to see if you've placed a turret in the middle of a heated battle. also instead of the number of magazines you have left why not just put the number of bullets? seems easier than trying to remember if you had reloaded halfway through a clip.

20. Lithium

Lithium Member

Hybrid of my 2nd, 3rd and archanor's revised HUD

edit:
    [​IMG]

-HUD fades out when in iron sights (except ammo part and when being shot)
    -total bullets instead of mags
    -turret/radar counter (permanent)
    -uses Archanor 's positioning of death messages

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.