New GUI idea (for next empires version) with a picture

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lithium, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Angry approves, its very sexy

2. Archanor

Archanor Member

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

whats with the 4 repeated boxes beside health?

also, because of the size of the map, it should be offset from the edge of the screen, then you will still be able to see movement over there and turn to face it.

4. Archanor

Archanor Member

The 4 repeated boxes are the skills you have selected. (Not really necessary.)
    Also, this is just a quick example I did in a few minutes.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i know. i'm just pointing out what needs to be changed for it to work great. i really like the cut down design presented here.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

minimap needs almost no border in my opinon. I do kinda see your point killx about how the map should be very slightly seperate from the edge, but

in my opinion there should never be anything onscreen that you don't need all the time. this is a great ethic slightly stolen from many games, and it's important as permaneant blocky HUD are becoming oldfashioned and are certainly ugly. In this manner i would move the tank and aircraft counters to only be visibly by opening the map up large (default M)

I like arachnor's certainly. I don't see that there's any reason why health and ammo should have to be at the bottom- being used to something is no reason to keep it as it is.

if all the current blue boxes were translucent that would be a great start. anything that is just being effecting would become fully opaque with the exception of stamina, which would only become opaque when your stamina is very low.

minimap should also certainly be translucent if possible.

this is certainly something I would say the game should aim towards if it is going to do a 2.5- really perfecting anything decorative like this.

7. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

i'd have the normal GUI but with that circular mini map
    and maybe the thing that displays your skills
    The option to have transperancy would be cool as well, with adjustable transparency so you can customise it

8. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

if there are changes to the GUI, it should have the same feeling to it as the squad menu does. I think it would look more professional.

9. Archanor

Archanor Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You know what would be awesome AND space-saving? If the bullet amount was a simple number BUT with an animated clip next to it. Not the entire clip is shown; just the top. Each clip animation would be different per weapon (or at least per caliber) and you would be able to see the bullet go into the chamber and fly off.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Now you're thinking with portals! :p

12. nhammen

nhammen Member

If there was a way to make the GUI script able, so that you could select where you want each element of the GUI, that'd be cool.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Like CSS has? It'd be cool, but very tiring for Krenzo to code all those tiny blocks into one big part methinks

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I like how this conversation is developing, and I think something has to be done with the existing HUD. It's just about the only element that is lacking IMO.

I would prefer to have a visual ammo indicator, like the current one, but I would not be opposed to the minimap being moved into a circle.

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i fully oppose a circular minimap. why? well, to view the full minimap in the HUD you would have to do one of 2 things: shrink it, or cut the corners. the minimap is already mini enough, and I'd like to have my entire minimap onscreen. its just not worth it. plus it would actually take up more space in the end most likely.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

thinks like seeing your skills on the HUD are totally useless, I find it very easy to remember them and frankly it's one more annoying thing to take you out of the battlefield and make you feel like you're just playing a game. take a look at how much HUD halo 3 and crysis have.

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

18. Melee

Melee Member

regarding the mini map can you not just make it able to disapear, as in asign a key to activate it , the M key makes it bigger at the mo but some times when i need to see the full screen , like when in arty I would like to be able to remove the mini map completely ?

19. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Artillery is a perfect expample of when you need the minimap. Try using arty feedback with ER cannon on emp_money. You'll cripple the enemy in no time.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

there is a command to change the size of the minimap, I have a script to change it size depending on what I'm doing. You can't completely make it dissapear, but you can make it quite small, except after that it's bugged and won't increase in size D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.