Near death experiences

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dubee, Dec 16, 2010.

1. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

True, but then again you are less likely to kill yourself playing a video game. Dubee, just play Empires with us and stay away from drugs. We can get high together from pwning face, mocking regulars in spec, and listening to some Bill Withers.

If none of that is motivating, you can always try Jesus, Man. Scotty learned the righteous way.

I guess the closest to a "near-death experience" would be almost drowning in a swimming pool when I was a few years old.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

/thread? :)

3. OMEN

OMEN Member

was being driven in a tiny shitty golf mk3 by my gf's sister- my gf's sister was bitching and arguing with her mother.
    some dude was overtaking in the central lane - the gf's sister was moving to central lane to overtake. the speed must have been at about 70~mph.
    so the dude doesnt slow down but goes to overtake US - the two cars are side by side and the gfs sister is derp derp gliding into the dude besides. the cars touched gently, all the women started screaming i shat myself a little.

i was cycling home at night (well it was dark), i didnt have any lights on me (just stock reflectors) so i was cycling against the traffic flow - merrily along the way a mini decided to race in the bus lane with some other dude - i was about 50 meters in front of the mini - looking into the headlights.
    the guy in the mini didnt notice me until i gently bumped into the bonnet - needless to say with all those rpms and the creaming engine then me landing on the bonnet ... shat myself a little.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

As if you take something that you don't even know basic information on. If you just take some pills because someone says "oh yeah they're cool" and OD, then quite frankly you deserve to die. Drinking on opiates is even stupider, and it's basic fucking knowledge that you don't do that. A lot of medically administered ones have extra compounds in to cause you to vomit if you intake any alcohol.

But yeah, like Brutos said. Even if you were fucking dumb, not being able to go to Hospital because of some homoinsurance thing is ridiculous. No matter what retarded thing you've done here, you can always count on our National Health Service to get you back to health without charging a penny.

As for mine, this one time I nearly crashed my car, but then I remembered that I'm actually a good driver and decided not to drive into a corner/in shit weather at 200mph. In short, 99% of the time, near-death experiences are experienced by people stupid enough to put themselves in that position. Dubee is dumb for not spending 10 seconds to bring up the wiki page on Fent. Several people in this thread are dumb for not being able to drive/not reminding the passenger of their car how to drive. Omen is dumb for cycling at night with just reflectors. Basically, what Chris said.

And to put it in context with how easily preventable that was Dubee (don't even get me started on the drinking), at the top of the page on wikipedia: Fentanyl is approximately 100 times more potent than morphine,[6] with 100 micrograms of Fentanyl approximately equivalent to 10 mg of morphine and 75 mg of pethidine (meperidine) in analgesic activity.[6] It has an LD50 of 3.1 milligrams per kilogram in rats, and a LD50 of 0.03 milligrams per kilogram in monkeys.

In other words, if you weigh 75kg, and you're taking anything even remotely close to 2g, you deserve to die.

5. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I had two of them.
    once when I was like 7, I knocked over a schyte and well thankfully it missed and got stuck on something before it could do any damage, I was little and didn't really understand how close I got to getting fucked.

The second time was actually exactly two years ago we were travelling to Hungary from Sweden with a car (takes around 18 hours). So we were travelling for a while and were in the middle of Germany when my father asked me to drive because he was tired(it was already past midnight and he was driving for more than 7 hours)so I took the wheel and started driving first slowly then faster and faster as I got used to the car it was an Audi S8 btw, anyway I was driving way too fast on a small road when a fucking huge suicidal white bear thing jumped out of the woods infront of the car, I didn't have time to dodge it. I don't remember the rest but noone in the car suffered any serious injuries, the cars left side got torn up pretty badly and we had to stay in a hotel for a week. I got scolded for being an idiot.
    The accident affected me positively, it made me realise how much if an idiot I were and it calmed me down I started actually thinking things through before doing something stupid. so yeah that's it. Oh and they told me at the hotel that bear thing thing was a dax(dacs?dhacs?) still not sure wtf that is.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

its a badger (Dachs in german)

the only near death expierience i can think of wasnt that terrifying
    i was like 8 years old, riding my bike next to my dad, talking and looking at him
    then...POW
    right against a streetsign
    wasnt that spectacular (wouldnt even have died on that i guess)

7. Zeke

Zeke Banned

lies, it was clearly a polarbear judging by predators description. xD

So the hotel obviously lied. :rolleyes:

edit: additional evidence

[​IMG]

Does that look like "a fucking huge suicidal white bear thing"? ofcourse not, its a tiny badger which would do no more harm than a roadbump.

This however fits the description:
    [​IMG]

8. YouzY

YouzY Member

I have only fainted due to loss of blood and malnutrition. I went camping with my Royal rangers club, threw up everything that I tried to eat during the hike. After arriving to the place we had to make fire for the food we had and while chopping some wood I ended with a axe in my left leg. Was bit weird to have a axe stuck in your leg without even holding to it. The "nurse" we brought with us didn't use stitches to patch me up, Q.Q. Anyways..
    Spent rest of the day in the most comfortable chair in the universe after the painkillers kicked in.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

haha that reminds me of that time I nearly won a Darwin awards myself, I spun around my own axis about 20 times and then jumped into a lake. Turns out that trying to swim towards the surface when you have no fucking clue what is up or down is kinda hard

I only got a few big gulps of nasty lake water in tho

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would say stop doing it badly.

I mean if someone catches the clap you don't say 'STOP HAVING SEX!' you say 'LEARN HOW TO USE A CONDOM'.

Similarly, if you are going to take drugs or get drunk or do whatever, learn basic safety methods, such as 'don't take shit you don't know what it does and then mix it with shitloads of booze'.

The only remotely serious illness I ever had was appendicitis.

Also there was that one time I didn't shit for two months and ended up in hospital because I was too full of shit.

8 senakot a day for two weeks, that was a fun fortnight.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

erowid usually is a good starting point to inform yourself ... ;)

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I also stuck a penny in an outlet when I was like a baby, I don't remember that but I am guessing its why i am the way i am today haha

13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

err.... how exactly?

i mean... its not like there is a big opening, even in an american electric outlet

[​IMG]

14. flasche

outlet looks sad :(

15. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I'd say it looks *puts on sunglasses* shocked.

YEEEHAAAWW.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It might of been a 2 prong. And it might of been tweezers.. I am not sure I was hella young and don't even remember it.

I think they looked shocked.. which would make sense.

17. flasche

:thumbsup: :applaude:

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah man America's health system is shite, like you go to the hospital, and if you don't have enough pennies on you, you're dead. Up here the only problem is the waiting rooms in the ER, because there aren't enough doctors, so you might die waiting.

I once had to wait 6 hours, fuckin brutal.

19. Zeke

Zeke Banned

you were totally dying and should have gained priority, right?

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

what, no I wasn't totally dying, I was just bored.