my missle wip

Discussion in 'General' started by =HELLION=, Jun 18, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

hmm well i unziped and overwrote with the same file i uploaded and it worked on my end, perhaps a bad download? is anybody else haveing problems viewing ? i have no problems recompiling i didn't notice but there is a very slight seam in the texture that nobody would ever ever see i could fix that as well.

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Gj Hellion. Haven't been able to see the arty shell in action yet but the tank shells are awesome. You don't need that much detail on those though because i've only caught 1/50ths of a second glances of them.

3. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

thx destroyer, well atm the arty shell and tank shell is the same mdl, although ive had some suggestions and thoughts about doing another shell for the tanks. i really had hoped to get the mortar shell done in time, but i missed the cutoff again. so i decided to add a bit more details to it. again, never notice them but something to do none the less. and eventually you might catch the detail

4. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Nice weapons and as the squad praise says, "Keep it up", I think?

5. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well what i thought would be a simple transparency from alpha channel turned out to be a huge hassel. after finaly geting it to work i ran into another problem, i could see into the model because it was not built on how it would need a transparency channel. so i had to go in there and re-do a bit of the model, i think it looks more or less better now , however i probably will change the dual holes to a single hole on each fin, and well touch up some texturing ,, besides that i would say its done..
    [​IMG]

6. Darg

Darg Member

I'm not sure if the model warrants a transparency map as they can sometimes become resource hogs if there are too many on the screen at once.

I'd test it out though before you change it back and if there's no noticeable loss in performance then leave it as you have it there.

It might be nice if you give a small shine to the rest of the model and not just the front. Maybe 5-10% ?

7. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

yes very true, its because to get transparency you have to do a duble sideded , and that is 2x the texture space, so on huge textures like of the buildings or whatnot it is a loss of performance, not so much imo they should try to take out whatever needs transparency on the buildings. but for a mortar shell thats texture is 256x256 and not only that is not on the screen for very long at all, nor lots of them. hmm what does better , 100+ more faces or a transpency map? hard to test but i guess ill stick it in a map and see what has better fps when i look at it

8. Darg

Darg Member

Well you could just have them as solid objects as you'll never be able to see them well enough to really see the holes.

It's not just that you need to use double sided faces. Actually processing the transparency map takes resources. Maybe It doesn't make much difference in modern engines and computers but there's no reason to use more resources in a program that is already stressing even medium quality computers.

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I don't think that trasparency slows the thing down much, considering that masked textures have been used before 3D acceleration came along(Doom for example).

10. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

true, doom was all sprite based though, and if you remember correctly the same sprite used as a non-sprite transparent wall texture (eg: railing or grate fence like stuff with mask) it would drop the fps loads.

but i tested it anyway and i cant tell, go figure i just got a 7950 vid card , and now i cant really tell if my fps droped .. ill just have to go with the flow on this one and take it that not everybody has a 7950 yet. besides, really when its being hurled at you at mock5 theres no real need to say hey! those fins have air flow holes in them !

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Didn't steam have public surveys showing the specs of their users? I think that would provide real usefull

12. Darg

Darg Member

Personally from a purely aesthetic point of view I actually prefer it before the airholes anyway. Atleast you've learnt how to get the transparency map to compile for later models ;)

13. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well i handed the model to krenzo but forgot to post here again here is the updated model back to how it was b4 airholes.
    http://files.filefront.com/mortar_000zip/;5303689;;/fileinfo.html
    also in the time from my last post i have been constructing a new plasma shell. i know most of you people could care less what a model looks like ingame , but i find this a art. this plasma shell is going to be tech'd out , i plan to have [textured] plasma vents and have plasma venting out them as fired , so it will leak plasma as it follows its vector. somthing for a little eye candy none the less.. also this will take a while to do because i mainly have done modeling and not much particle creation, and there will be a lot involved to get this shell to do what i want. also not to mention what krenzo will have to code in . i wish to do a blue plasma explosion also wich will again be time consuming. on top of all this greatness i think i will be moving soon wich will , take a lot of time, and i might be offline for a bit until i get set up again..
    for the most part the actual model is done , but for the image alpha for the self illumination i need to render the vent in 3d to get the alpha , so i am spending a lot of time to make a vent model high poly to just slap its 2d image on the texture lol, but it will be noticed because that part will be full bright where as the rest will be dark, ie it will be bright like a light here is my wip progress on the model that you really cant make much from but it will give you a good idea what im talking about.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  14. Darg

Darg Member

Just make sure that there is a low quality version of it too for those of us without supercomputers ;)

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That looks like it will be really sweet. Now we can use plasma weapons for coolness effect, instead of just being left with a weapon that destroyes tanks on a massive scale.

16. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well really its going to be the same type model [less polys even] as the other shell, and its just going to have a self illum channel, wich is 1/2 the normal hl2 models, they run just fine. the new smoke trail will be more optimized also
    here is a better render of the vent that will have the alpha channel for self illum
    [​IMG]

17. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

hellion, where did u learn to model, and wut software do u use?
    id like to get into modeling, but from the actualy modeling to the compiling to the physboxes, id like to stick with mapping.

18. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

eh, I don't really understand how the P-shell is supposed to turn out

-Sheepe

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

hey sheepe, can u link the thread that u got ur sig from, i wanna read it, and i cant find i. ( itreid search)

20. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I would,
    If I could,
    But I can't
    So I Shant

Honestly, I have no idea where its from... I also want to find that thread that contained my one and only quote

-Sheepe