my missle wip

Discussion in 'General' started by =HELLION=, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Actually, the idea of it starting as a shell and then degenerating into a plasma ball is damn cool, and probably accurate. It'd be HARD to contain that hot of something inside metal, the metal would melt. It either turns into plasma in flight, or on impact, because if it happens when fired, your barrel's gonna be a puddle on the ground pretty quick. Any way you slice it, it needs some funky sprites and a little special coding to make it work right.

2. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i myself was thinking it would explode into a big gasious plasma flame, as for the color of the shell itself , i guess ill change it back to the dark steel look i had before i tested with the green, and ill take off the vents :( ill use them for something else i guess heh. theres blue plasma in a lot of things i dont see why it cant be blue[ish]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Plasma-lamp_2.jpg/300px-Plasma-lamp_2.jpg

3. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

When might this be implemented? I bet that the first thing on everyone's research to-do list in the first few 'release party' games is gonna be plasma cannons.

Maybe you should use a scaled down sprite for the plasma MG? That would be pretty damn cool to be shooting blue tracer darts. :o

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

dno the way Krenzo explained it sounded like it would be more white yellow ish, but I dont know anything about plasma :P
    Also metal at like 2000 degrees turns white but that has probly nothing to do with it

5. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

If you wanna see plasma, look up.

See? All those bright little dots in the sky?

Or maybe the big-ass yellow one?

Blue plasma just looks cool, but it comes in a wide variety of light emittance.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The color of the plasma depends highly on the temperature(there's also so called "cold plasma". I think the blackbody temperature scale works on this one too. Besides the color of the sun is pinkish white not yellow. I'll dig up the sources, if needed.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Blue is definately the coolest looking colour, even if it isn't strictly scientifically accurate.

8. Darg

Darg Member

A good example of plasma would be the light that can be seen outside a shuttle or other spacecraft on reentry into the atmosphere. The heat created is so great that the air around it can't move out of the way fast enough and is turned into plasma. Generally yellowy red in colour but I've seen videos where it's ranged through the entire spectrum.

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

So lets just use a blueish white fireball shall we. :p It looks cool and isn't that far from the truth.

10. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well here is a update on the shell skin, im still not sure what im going to do with the open area where the vents were.. im thinking something like diz's copper head sketch.
    [​IMG]

11. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

12. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

how about this on the sides , well only really small , orentated similar to diz's illustration?[​IMG]

13. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:p Looking extremely sexeeh! I'd hump it. :)

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I really like it. Especially if it turned it to a blue plasma ball (like the BFG9k from doom) before impact.

and how about the plasma then homes in on the target?

Personally, I prefered the green missile to the black one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  15. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well i think it turned out ok , with removing the vents i went in and removed about 30 or so faces that were intended for the vent detail... now i need to just learn how to do particles for explosion sprites... ill have to get into a few tuts for that, [​IMG]

16. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Ooh, plasmalicious.

17. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

What shell are you going to work on next? I'd prefer the HE cannon because it's the most used cannon other than the stock. That way we get something special for researching it! Just take your old model and add a HE warhead to the top. Give it a red cap and widen it a little and it should be great. Of course, you can add your artistic flare to it.

18. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

well, for any kined of sprite i would suggest you keeping the first black and white version. alpha maps have to be tad accurate.

19. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well the fourms were down for a bit, and that gave me time to figure out this damn particle flow thing. things are turning out ok, here is a capture of a 100frame animation where ive got some sort of blue burning thing going on. hmm so how is this going to work,
    1: plasma shell shoots out
    2: at some distance it explodes
    3: blue plasma fire ball sprite
    4: hits target and explodes
    or
    1: plasma shell shoots
    2: hits target and explodes in a blue plasma explosion
    or
    1: plasma shell shoots
    2: at some distance gets engulfed in blue plasma fire
    3: hits target and explodes in blue fire explostion
    well anyway here is the test plasma fire type thing