my missle wip

Discussion in 'General' started by =HELLION=, Jun 18, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

my wip stuff

well i really am geting into this modeling stuff... perhaps this missle might be good enuff for the game ?
    its almost the same polys as the normal stock hl2 missle here is the highpoly ver sofar..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

its... a missile :D

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

or is it? =o

4. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

definetly.. unless.. maybe it only exists in your mind?

ooooooo

5. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Not sexy enough, give it four more fins on the front and larger fins on the back + reduce polys

-Sheepe

6. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Looks moore like a shell, than a missile, i think...

7. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

I like it.

plus, the colour ( EVEn though its not a final colour, im not stupid :P ) makes it look cool like playdoh :P

I dont know about it looking like a shell, but 2 fins at the front would eliminate that misconception.

I thought shells were more.. shorter and fatter..

8. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

as is , its 40 or so polys more then the stock missle [wich imo it looks more like a rpg then a missle] at one time it did have fins in the front as well but that added 50 more polys and it was 100 polys more then the standard, also you probably wouldnt even ever see the fins in the front because they are small so i decided to ditch them... right now i matched the size of the missle to the rocket launcher from the brenodi side, as is it fits just nicely in there with collapsed fins. it would not fit inside with any larger fins... that is however not to say i could not do a seperate missle for the tanks / turrets that are more finny.. also a better perspective on it would show that the fins are a bit bigger as well :)

9. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

No need to create any bump or normal maps for somthing that is so small. When are you ever going to see it close up ingame, apart from when its about to hit your face :P.

10. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

very true, although it is about 2x as long as that stock one , and its a 2x as thick as well, so you will actually see it , but it travels so fast and is still small to not notice much details , that is mainly why i cut the polys back a lot and did away with the forward fins, with 8 tanks all shooting 4x4 slots of missles it tends to bog down as it is , let alone adding much more faces to the matter :) i like to draw in high poly 1st to get a feel of it , then start breaking faces down, that way i can tell better what face needs to stay and what doesn't mainly , i get carried away lol

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Hey, you stole my idea :mad:
    Just joking, but I started my first ever model today as well, and it happens to be a rocket too.
    This is what I've done so far...(colours are WIP)
    [​IMG]

It's 109 polys, and same size as the HL2 rocket.
    I was also planning to have different colours depending on the type, eg. green warhead for bio, yellow and black for nuke etc. Would have to be coded in though.

12. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

that looks like it would be good for the grenader's mortar

13. Revolver

Revolver Member

Points for modeling! Particularly something so minor.

However, because of the big blue color, and general shape, it looks like a personal massager. THAT kind of massager. :P

I'm sure with proper skin I can get that image out of my mind. Definatly good work on rocket though.

14. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

lol, usually when one is coming in my general direction something along those same lines is what im saying ...

15. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

If you ask me, I'd use something even lower poly than the default HL2 rocket. For something that you're probably never even going to see, you might as well get away with going for performance over looks. Save the detail for the things that matter.

16. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well its 2x larger then the stock missle, so you will see it now, still it will be small and most details , like i said before will not be noticed because it will be moving fast , that is why i tried to keep it as low poly as i can, and wich it is only about 40 polys more then the stock, the only reason its more is because its not a little bitty thing.
    EDIT: ok so i cant add its exactly 30 polys more then the stock missle
    compare and contrast [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Looking good

18. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

Why are the fins so thick?

19. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

:| doh , ok good point , thx darbin

20. Jn.

Jn. Member

hmmmm maybe put a smiley face on the front end so that's the last thing you see before you die :D