List of small unintuitive things in Empires that aren't obvious to a new player

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yes, you're probably right.

That style of crosshair is also used to on friendlies as a suggestion to not fire, not as easy to show that no damage will be done.

So it's doubly bad.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

from all quirks this game had, finding out that small arms wont damage tanks was easiest - just saying.
    for jeep it took a bit longer, but after i unloaded a whole mag into one i figured its probably not hurting it.

idk, overcasualizing a game, spoonfeeding each and every shit, be it oh so minor, to a new player might also have the opposite effect. finding out stuff your own is fun aswell ...

... which ofc doesnt free you from providing tooltips and stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Firing SMG at a vehicle is definitely top 3, if we are talking about the stupid things that a new player might do.

There's this thing that other games are using to spoonfeeding every shit, it's called tutorial.

4. ImSpartacus

I think he's talking about games that design gameplay mechanics that can be learned without a tutorial.

There are certain things in empires that simply can't work that way. The biggie is the commander.

If Spartacus was king of the world, the commander would be the only mechanic that gets a pass on unintuitive design and shit like squad powers would get funneled into the cv so players can worry less about wasting the team's money/squad points/map control and more about having fun. Let the com have his rts piece and let everyone else have their fps piece.

5. flasche

maybe, but finding out that it doesnt damage it is the first thing he learns right after that ...

i was referring to those in favor of showing tooltips or changing crosshair if you try shooting your pistol/smg/ar at a tank. i mean, cmon, its a tank ...
    ... seismics are not very obvious, thats true, its something that belongs to a loadingscreen or a quickstart guide though, not ingame.

6. ImSpartacus

Players have no visual queues to a vehicle's health except when it's destroyed and health is zero.

Learning requires a feedback loop. You do an action, you get feedback and then you modify your action based on the feedback. Repeat until learned.

Since there's no feedback, no learning takes place.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This.

Also, flasche, you didn't consider a case in which the tank got destroyed by other stuff, but the new player doesn't know and assume he destroyed it.

8. flasche

id actually go so far to say no effect is feedback aswell.

but then, theres religious people ...

also yes security, i didnt consider the one in a million chance. if you account for the dumbest players possible, you will get the dumbest players possible.
    i mean, im here, isnt that proof enough ;)

9. ImSpartacus

Religious people have tremendous feedback from their peers because there is no other available feedback.

Incidentally, empires currently uses the same feedback method to teach. However, empires differs because we CAN have other means of feedback.

Those "other means" of feedback are preferred because they are more consistent. Look at any psych 101 textbook and you'll see that constant feedback is superior.

...inconsistent social feedback of religion is why atheists exist :headshot:

10. flasche

yet all this insights produced are shittier and shittier games the in recent decade. you are not allowed to fail, but if you never fail you wont have to reconsider your strategy. if you now go tell people play the game exactly this way a majority will just play it that way.
    as the video created described it, quake had null tutorial (but a printed manual) and neither strafe-, nor rocket-, nor nade jumping were intentional game mechanics (im not sure about plasma- and bfg climbing in q3 though, they might have been intentional). there where redicolously hard levels and you had to figure out which weapon to use against which mob if you wanted to finish the game. today it would tell you - "oh its an imp, pull out your shotgun and use strafe to dodge its bullets" or "oh you are low on health just hide and wait youll be fine in a few seconds again" instead of just leaving you with 10hp. nothing in quake told you to just avoid enemies instead of killing them, but once you ran out of ammo you figured out yourself.

im not saying provide no hints, im just saying dont assume the most idiotic players, if they dont get that firing at a tank wont hurt it after their 3rd try, theyll also fail the rest of the game - theres a lot more really unintuitive and hidden stuff.

11. ImSpartacus

I'm not letting you ramble into a straw man. Address the discussion points or stop posting.

12. flasche

touché

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I just realised I haven't played any new shooters. I feel blessed :cool:

With the shooty shooting of vehicles however (no one really does it to buildings), most people get told or see other people not doing it - not through direct feedback as Spartacus was saying. And originally I would have thought people would think their weapons do little damage, rather than none.

Also...I should probably have looked at the seismic nade text and added it does no damage to vehicles and infantry. Unless it's already there. I forget. Maybe we should call it a seismic disrupter instead and give it a different model. Maybe one that doesn't bounce to make it a little more interesting (read: difficult) to use, since people are always complaining about them.

14. flasche

if they dont bounce you might run into issues with lvl3s - which should get nerfed anyway. having them removed from each other map feels like a strong indicator and also is something that is very unobvious to new players. do you need another skill for that or why can you just upgrade to lvl2?

also seriously, i fail to grasp how people expect a pistol/shotty/smg/AR to deal damage to a heavily armored vehicle as a tank?

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't know. I don't know what these players play. Then again, Jeep Hat, so it's not like it has to make sense :p

For MG turrets...Level 3's should really be split into the heavy/low ranged turret and the light/long-ranged turret. One for actually pwning people who get too close, and one for sort of cover fire. It should be a choice between which one you want to get.

Sorry I'm further adding to the derailment of this thread by putting up gameplay suggestions rather than unintuitive things.

16. ImSpartacus

Admittedly, it doesn't happen to tanks constantly, but it happens occasionally.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

stray shot into gas fill hole cap?

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The way I see it, beside the fact that their effect on the player is highly annoying, mgs are really annoying in that they can fire downwards. Im okay with them being sentries and all, but that one feature makes all the xroads style towers assholery possible.

19. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, though it is only on xroads that it feels like a problem. Anywhere else seems fine to me.

20. ImSpartacus

You're missing an important one...