List of small unintuitive things in Empires that aren't obvious to a new player

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Bio instantly drains your stamina down to 0
    And to put it in a scale, I don't have the exact numbers, but lets call normal walk speed 100%

Walk speed 100%
    Sprint speed 150%

With speed upgrade
    Walk speed 130%
    Sprint speed 150%

I'm pretty sure that's roughly the breakdown, unless stamina upg gave you infinite stamina, I'd take speed upg any day because you're sprinting probably 20% of the time.

2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Since this thread is about "intuitive things for NEW PLAYERS". I doubt we would train a new player on using gren squad arty. That is a vet function and they will learn it soon enough. Also training them to be a great scout is hardly what this game is about. Riflemen should almost never have squad lead, unless you are giving it to the nub in hopes he stays with the squad and you rank up squad points more quickly.

If everything written is not learned - GIVE SOMEONE ELSE SQUAD LEAD. Don't grief your team.

It also is useful to know if a new player does not speak english. TYPE IT OUT or change your name to SPEKENZEE_DUTCH or NO_HABLO_INGLES.

Your name should be pronouncable - "kjfhaksjdf" or some cute kitten drawing is shit and someone may just refer to you as nub asshole. Or keyboard head banger.

Learn to press C and join a squad.
    Learn to press C and promote someone else to a squad leader.
    Learn the other players by name and learn who the skilled players are. Just because they are skilled does not mean they should be squad lead. A somewhat skilled new player engineer is much more valuable as squad leader than a veteran player. Your squad gets points for kills from more skilled players than you - if you give them squad lead - you will get fewer points. Even on a commander map - a player that only learns to revive, build, drop ammo and walls can be the difference between a win and miserable loss - even if you never fire a shot.

Watch engineers from spec on maps and learn the maps. There are specific locations that walls should go.

While in Spec you can press CTRL and First Person View and watch the game from players eyes as if you were them. LEARN what they know ! Practice it!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Guys, stop suggesting those "subjective experience" stuff.
    I appreciate your effort, really, but I wouldn't say your "Silver-tier" experience is reliable at all.

Stamina upgrade sucks, end of discussion.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Sgt - Since Empires community does not encourage valuable input through normal brain storming methods, I'll follow your lead and shit on your post.

We are talking about advice to NEW PLAYERS and mine was targeted at District - read the whole post. They should not get the repair upgrade on District over Speed ? They need to quickly get in and out of trouble and there is very little to build. Without speed they will die quickly regardless of 130 vs 100.

I think a point here is engineer advice is very different based on the map. On most maps I tell new engineers to always spawn with repair upgrade, but on canyon, for example, change to revive once the rax is up. Then after an armory is up they would have two skills - revive and repair to push C5 and ONE of them must have upgraded turret - especially when they are a weaker team - which nubs on that squad obviously would be. I've held off veteran squads with nub squads with this tactic when I had four nubs in one squad.

I never recommended them healing every single person as they get injured. I did recommend they monitor their squad and use points wisely and do manual revives to gain points and skill - ergo the need for speed on district.

Nice to know you are among the community who have never learned how to do proper brain storming. I'll have some fries with my burger.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Brain storming? Fly whachu on about? The stuff you posted later is just common sense/tactics. Most people know those. Sure, noobs wont, but thats not brain storming.

And the advice in your post before WAS kinda awful all things considered.
    Maybe except the healing one. I'll disagree with sec, Ill frequently use spam heals when the squad is in a mass firefight or storming a rax where you cant rev.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

But are we? I thought this was a list of unintuitive specific things, not player hints that should go in map load/quick faq screens.

Also we talked about stamina/speed which shouldn't have been here either. I hope both of those things get separated into their own threads. As for my posts, you can just delete them, didn't make any kind of sense today >.>

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I don't think we want to flood new players with 1000
    advices/tactics/experience-oriented stuff.
    We are just trying to teach them how to revive, how to drop turrets, how to customize your vehicle properly.

Z00M, that's not really disagreeing with me, our scenarios overlap with each other.

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm fairly certain that this isn't about gameplay strategies or player tactics, but it's supposed to be about hard fact about Empires that aren't intuitive and aren't plainly laid out. This isn't about advice that new players need to be effective, but about what players should know about the more inherent aspects of the game. Think about things that new players do that directly go against Empires or what they should be doing not because they might have a wrong playstyle, but because they literally don't know about the hard-and-fast rules of Empires.

Also, ammo boxes fade after 2 minutes. That's a hardcoded feature.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Points that the squad leader gets don't give any squad points, I was rather annoyed to find this out very late in my emp career, probably the last thing I learned too.

How to deal with hidden scouts in base, no one knows what enhanced senses does.

Just how important the comm vehicle is and that shouldn't really be taking it for a test spin.(Almost every time I command there is 1 new guy that just hangs around the comm vehicle, takes forever to convince them that they don't want to drive it/steal it)

How to deal with mines. Defusal does sound obvious, but new players don't want to change class/ don't know how to change class/ don't know how to get to class skills. I guess is more related to a lot of little things.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Oh hell, you aren't going to spam a shitload of tooltips, are you?

Fix the issues, don't try to "teach" them to every potential player.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This is actually INSANELY important. Everything else you can get your head around, but finding a scout? Nah.

I feel that scout should just have hide taken for now and given radar stealth as a freebie & non-targeted by turrets. If a new hide is coming, fine, but actually with the shotgun, turret immunity, and radar stealth the scout could be a really good breach class.

Heck, we could even give them a 'lightfoot' upgrade and make them impervious to mines, so the only thing that would kill them would be an active human shooting them!

12. Candles

No I'm not going to cover the game in tooltips. I, personally, am not planning anything off this thread. I'm just trying to help clarify the content that this thread is looking for. Where did you possibly get that sort of idea anyway?

13. ImSpartacus

Your wording and the general attitude & expectations of the community.

14. Candles

I never implied advice in that second clause. If I was saying that they need to be advised to new players, I would've made that clear. I specifically said that it's about what players should know. I suppose I could've specified that it's about what players should know to be effective, but are not necessary obvious, but I didn't feel that it was necessary to provide a level of specificity.

In fact, I suppose there's no way for me to word that without you being able to infer that I'm talking about advice in that second clause. So there really isn't much I could do about it, short of trying to redo the post entirely.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  15. ImSpartacus

Lol, don't read too much into it. I'm a human, not a computer.

Combined with Trickster cherry-picking tooltip-caliber issues probably biased me.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

(All) Sgt.Security: Also don't fire your sub machinegun at vehicles, it doesn't hurt at all
    (All) Gillyoot: lo
    (All) meneer: thanks for the tips

Guess what, I was talking to Gillyoot.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Some things belong in tooltips, like "Hold [Primary fire button] to guide rocket" with the RPG. Other things should be refactored to make them visible or easily accessible, like the squad abilities. Other things again belong in the loading screen, like common tactics or how to upgrade turrets. The new loading screen is HTML, so we can just have a HTML page with images or whatever you want to explain this kind of stuff, we're no longer limited to some text on a background.

EDIT: Context-sensitive tooltips may also be useful, like when you fire your bullet-based weapon at a vehicle, it'd tell you that vehicles aren't damaged by infantry bullets. We could expand on this in a loading screen tip (certain vehicle MGs do damage it, as do all grenades, but seismic is kinda shit, etc etc etc)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know the no-buildable sign that comes up for engies in unavailable areas, could we have that pop up when people aim their guns at enemy tanks? Or would that just be confusing for them and they'd be like...wtf...why should I not attack this?

19. ImSpartacus

That's actually a good idea.

It would be nice if that happened whenever you aimed your weapon at a target and you would do no damage if you hit that target. So generalized for more than just infantry weapons and vehicles.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Neither of you seems to realise that sometimes you aim at people that are running around tanks and buildings. Taking away the crosshair is a horrible idea and oyu should feel bad for even suggesting that.