League

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Evan, Jan 27, 2007.

1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Even commanding clan which consists of many new people is hard to get right. I don't want to think what would happen if all/most would be pick ups.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The thing with Empires clans is that a lot of them are filled with pick ups, pick ups with tags. That's not a slight against the clans, It's just that I don't see incredible unity among all members as clans in CS for example enjoy.

My point is that it wouldn't be _that_ different than being in a clan.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

lol Kaz that made me spit out my water laughing :D

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

You could be the neutral middle-man that helps with disputes.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

And maybe there will be referees...? Neutral = good in that case

6. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Well lets see here... I have set aside a portion of my webspace for the League board. Now when we have worked out who does what I'll hand over the needed ftp access for making the site. I also have about 40 or so professional website templates you can use or salvage into something unique. As well as the vbulitin board software. (Which I won't setup due to the number of problems I had setting it up for BSID's vanguard guild site.)

PS: I'm glad so many loved the gif. I'll occasionaly include one with one of my posts. :D

7. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I signed up, the site looks like it will work well.

gg

9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Thanks Knight. I gave you admin. Make a draft of the rules and we can edit it on there.

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

cwevan I think that we should add full clan names to "clan" field.

Rules: Those will need some discussion. Some questions below:

1. Do we allow CTF maps?
    2. What building limits will be used (I think that standard would be fine)?
    3. How will be matches played? 2 x 2/2x1/1 map?
    4. Do we allow being in multiple clans at the same time (IMHO no)?
    5. Do we make limits how many players can play in one team (IMHO game with just 5 players in team doesn't make any sense)?
    6. How do we check if someone is exploiting (there are/will be exploits that are hard/impossible to notice)? I think that everyone should record demo.

11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Might be a good idea to require demorecs. Also make sure to put in rules against use of exploits, and include some examples.

In my opinion, look at rules for something like TWL. You shouldn't limit the number of players per team, only the number that can be fielded (as in, in a competition game) at once. Thus, you might set up a 5v5 ladder, so each team can only field five players at a time (no spectators).

You might also want to set up seperate ladders/leagues for the different game types. Noting how some Empires games can run long, you might want to limit each competition's length to one map, each team plays each side once, with a tiebreaker on a different map (something small, fast, and balanced I'd guess).

You should DEFINITELY disallow multi-clanning, as well as mercing.

Someone could write a small program in PHP or something that can randomly select a map, thus no stalling through disagreement over a map.

NOTE:
    You might want to mess with the profile section and specify more exactly which "Communicator" is which. Set them in stone. Instead of having user-made fields, have pre-made fields for MSN, AIM, Y!, ICQ, Jabber, etc.

12. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

1. Good question. I think so (they are official maps), but I do like commander maps much better. What do you think?
    2. Default is 32. That isn't much at all. In 1.8 there will be separate build limits for buildings, turrets, and walls. We should look at this question again once we get a feel for what good settings are.
    3. I was hoping like OGL/CAL matches --> 1 map, each team plays both sides. Additionally, they know what map it will be before hand.
    4. I don't think so. One clan only.
    5. I think we should aim for 10v10. If these are scheduled things, 5v5 is a small number.
    6. My hope is we can have non-clan referees at each match. When that isn't possible, demos would be very handy.

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Add JPL

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

JPL should add themselves.

How to do it-->

(1)Clan Leader registers
    (2)"Add New Clan"
    (3)Have members register
    (4)Leader adds members to clan

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

About ctf maps: we may create another ladder.
    Demos: these will be useful even if you have spectators. ATM spectator won't notice some exploits (they might/will be fixed in 1.08 but there will be more of them).

16. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

mootant, i gave you admin on the site if you want to draw up some draft rules

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I just signed up, and I have a few suggestions for the site:

List the clan roster once you click on the clan name.

Forums. Their essential for communication, and at this stage would allow for easier communication to get the site up and running as it should be.

Rename the "Messenger" link to "Messages," its a bit confusing with that name. First time I saw that I thought "WTFH!?!?"

http://www.pgsit.org/~pugh/emleague/index.php?op=cstats. Trying to read "There aren't any played matches yet." really hurts my eyes, its a bright colour on a bright background.

Just so you know its there, I just changed your "Function" in "Squad Edit." Maybe lock that so that only only clan leaders can change that.

At this stage this is everything that I think needs to be fixed/done. And please fix that text problem, its so damn bright it burns!

Edit: When I click the BE vs NF image in he top right, I get a page cannot be found.

18. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Only the clan leader needs to register to sign up the clan.

Once the clan is signed up, the clan leader can enter the clans roster (with nicknames and steamIDs).

So, each member of the clan does *not* have to individually join the league.... just be listed by the clan leader. Should make things a lot easier.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out those errors, KILLX. I'll look at them tonight

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Also, the image restrictions are really annoying. Its only 12 KB, and its hard to get a JPEG to that size, JPEGS don't like 12 KB very much.

Edit: you're welcome, I have nothing better to do, my hard drive is over 50% fragmented, I'll be be defragging all day :(

20. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

in photoshop, do "save for web" and it will drastically drop the image size.