League

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Evan, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Why kill the idea before it is done? Pessimists :-) It will take time for a league to be set up and who knows what could be the atmosphere when it is finished. Maybe there will be 600 new clans. Or maybe we will have lost 1 or 2 and only 3 will join. I still think it would be fun.

Off (and on, privately) of this forum there has been lots of support for the idea.

Do you have a direct link to the SourceForts site? Would you be up for admin-ing? Thanks for your offer of webspace, kaz :-)

Also, you guys seem to be couting ONE out when tallying clans. They seem to be pretty gung ho about private scrims and while I haven't talked to them about this idea I think they might want to.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. katana9000

katana9000 Member

We left OnE out? Well I was counting them. And yes they would be one of the main four.

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Here is the sourceforts league site: http://www.sourcefortsmod.com/league/

I think with a small number of clans things could be done a ton more low tech --> website wouldn't have to be as dynamic.

Maybe just a way to register clans... but we wouldn't need to keep track of rosters since empires requires so many people (10v10 matches?)

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I believe on|e has stated before not being a clan, but rather a community.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

They have said that. However, as I said above, they have been receptive to challenges.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Don't even think about league before 1.08 there are too many exploits/bugs and too few people (clans).

7. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Why not think about it? That's all I'm asking for. I'm not saying we should hold a tourn-* yet. I just think if we get the site up and functioning (php... database...) we can get it started when 1.8 comes out instead of then having to make the site, start thinking about rules, picking refs....

My points:
    -I'm not suggesting we have matches before 1.8 comes out
    -I think we should set up a league so when 1.8 comes out we can hold *official* matches

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Evan makes a good point there. While it should wait before the league should become active, to try to get it ready and lay out the ground work would be good.

If you need help setting up any web based software for it, I can help, I have a fair bit of experience with the stuff (just don't ask for a clan site, I made over 50 last summer. Never again. Never).

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Plan for the future; what you are saying is to store food once a huricane lands...

While in reality; you know one is coming long before it makes landfall, you store food and prepare your house before landfall, then after it hits; you are prepared (Or have left a long time ago); and you are not caught by surprize unprepared.

What diffrence would it make if the infrastructure is made now, or later? except that when we will actualy need it, everything is there already, ready to be used. Get the logistics out of the way; and then just worry about people who will come...

As of now I don't care who will be in the League...

JPL stands with this 100%, if this is going to be JPL-CW for a long time, then so be it (Though O|nE have no problem scrimming right now).

Why shoot something down that you will need anyway later down the road? I find that to be quite short sighted...

In any case the debate of wether this is needed or not is long over, the real question now is to set up website; make up rules, and start friendly scrimming with people you know; bugs be dammned this release is very stable and playable; I see no diffrence between this and pubbing; except that you play with good you know people...

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yeah, I have exactly the same opinion. People that want to make this website should meet on irc. (including our hosting provider Kazuhiro :)

UPDATE shinzon I meant that playing in such league before 1.08 doesn't make sense. Preparing it from technical side is another thing.

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Needs I see in the software (php/asp/perl/python/whatever with mysql/flatfile/filemakerpro/whatever):

-Creation of clan accounts w/ 1 clan leader account*
    -Maintainable roster w/ individual accounts for members
    -Calendar for upcoming events
    -Scoreboard capable of statistics on past results
    -News page
    -Forums?

*As cyber suggested, a better way may be to create "clan leader" permission groups and then "clan member" groups

any others?

12. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

You should do what forums do.
    Allow more than one person to have admin powers.

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I can set up a lot of the web site stuff with a combination of Joomla!, its addons, and SMF.

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I'd rather have it be custom stuff than Joomla, KILLX. Shouldn't be that hard. just writing/reading from a database

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Custom? Oh dear, you'll have to hide that fact from eth0 or the scoreboard will look like this...

=[BSID]= VS : ][CW][ :
    =[BSID]= wins

=[BSID]= VS JPL
    =[BSID]= wins

[On|E] VS : ][CW][ :
    =[BSID]= wins

(Just kidding ;) Eth0 wouldn't do this, he just knows how :p)

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i dont mean to be cocky but jpl would rape this league and leave it crying in a gutter

17. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Beerdude say whatever you want.
    You know the truth even if you don't say it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Leave the flaming for another time...

And if you really want to settle something; lets do it over a good ol scrim? :p

As for this thread please keep it constructive and keep the clan wars out...

I am willing to create every single tiny graphic that you will need; thats basicly my range of expertise :p

19. Simon

Simon Banned

You know your not going to be able to ninja to win.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I wont need to.. i only do that when were losing

But if i do ninja them then they suck,, and if i dont then they waste alot of time on CV defense