If you get revived you start with 10 health and you regenerate the rest in 3-5seconds

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by -Mayama-, Feb 2, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

I don't see too much problems with revive atm
    Making the skill like this is just giving the enemy team points however

2. skynet

skynet Member

Maybe its sufficient to just "lock" the weapons of the person revived for some seconds. Gets rid of the "prone roflman in your face"-problem without making it useless in frontline reviving.
    Doens't fix the "cheaper than healing"-problem though.

3. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

the locking idea isn't too bad actually. were this farcry 2 you'd get some neat animation where you pull a mortar shell out of your arm or something, but in place of that, just not being able to spray the enemy when you get revived would be a good change.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If you dont hold a gun for 2sec its
    easier to understand for the player.
    Make it so he draws his gun again after the timer ends

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

OR they could have some sort of screen overlay that prevents them from seeing anything, and gradually fades for 5 seconds. THEN the players will just ,"get-up-and-go", instead of stay still and shoot.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

or all weapons are unloaded. would also solve the engie chain rev (1 engies revs 2, those 2 rev 4 more, those 4 rev 8, etc)

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

imo starting at 25 or 50 % health would be good. Engy chain revs are just retarded on district now since you can only kill 2-3 people with a clip and it takes too long if your any father then 5 feet.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Say it all together, please:

Empires should not be balanced around District. District's problems are map problems, not Empires problems.

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Or in Crossroads with an engineering squad.
    Maybe the example said District, but Aquillion, you should know that this is a problem in other maps.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Pfft. Crossroads has always had all the same problems District has anyway; people always cite those two maps when they have some stupid turret or revive nerf in mind. Even there, I've never seen revives as a serious problem.

Empires just isn't a very good game for extreme close-quarters grindfests, period. If it wasn't the turrets and revives causing problems it'd be the HMGs or mortars or nadespam or who knows what else... a map with a handful of chokepoints is always going to be a pain. Removing or haphazardly nerfing every single effective defensive option in the game to try and fix the problems in the design of a few maps is a losing proposition.

And ultimately, revives require a group of people sticking together, and encourage people to stick together; they're most frustrating for the one guy trying to take them out alone. That... is not the kind of thing that bothers me. The game needs more things that reward teamwork, players who stick together, and strategy that supports digging in or holding ground, not less. Maps with excessive reliance on too few chokepoints should be solved by changing the map, not by changing the gameplay so it's impossible to effectively defend any chokepoint.

11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

revive at 50% health and 1 second weapon lock.

less than 50% health means that the person is likely to die again instantly if they are revived in front of a turret, but i think giving whoever shot them a decent chance to kill the revived guy makes sense to me.

12. Opie

Opie Member

Bump much?

We have seen an influx in good players who actually use revive engineers, which is good. I am surprised it took this long. Revive is the best engineer skill in the larger games we see now where people actually stick with their squads.

What do people think now? I like revived people coming back with half health. It is easier to just let people die and revive them then try to heal them. Alternatively, we could make revives take a full engi tool revive, or both.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Biggest problem with revive is it stayed the same when weapons got nerfed so engyfags can just ROFL at riflemen.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Revive, then it takes 10 seconds to fully regen all your health, with you getting +10hp a second for 10 seconds from being revived.

15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

^ This.

16. SupRore

SupRore Banned

Me and ounin kicked around the idea of suggesting giving revive to everybody, with a serious nerf (revive at 5-20 hp), and then separating the engy revive skill out as a superior version of the default skill. The idea was it would encourage squads to move forward cohesively and stop the obnoxious 15 mile hike if you're the one guy in the squad who dies during a small conflict.

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

^ ^ ^
    giving everybody a form of revive expedites logistics and maintains the pace of gameplay. at the end of a skirmish with no enemies in sight, you should be able to restore your numbers without having to walk a mile from wherever you came for. this assists in promoting team cohesion while especially keeping squads together.

When I get all four skill slots, I sometimes get heal upgrade so I don't have to waste all my charge reviving people. Heal upgrade makes healing practical over reviving, so there should be a comfortable threshold for making the natural healing rate preferred half the time to reviving.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I agree, playing last night I really saw how OP revive was. You can kill people but they just get back up before you reload.

edit: I agree with mayamas and trickster not catguys.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  19. SupRore

SupRore Banned

yeah revive is totally OP, the entire nearly exploitive kilo squad thing is grounded on how ridiculously better than anything else in the game revive and seismic are. Giving everyone revive is something i'd only consider suggesting as a way to bring the other unit types up to par with engineer in terms of effectiveness.

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If you give everyone revive, there is no reason for engineer to take it. He can still revive. It'd be as useless as healing upgrade.

EDIT: Also, that suggestion I made, I only just read the original post of this thread. Appears that Mayama wants the same. So yeah, lets do that.