I love the Empires Training Center

Discussion in 'General' started by -=SIP=-, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

Imagine, if you will, a good game, that is easy to learn, but hard to master, and lo, everyone enjoyed this game, for it was fun (and "epic")...

...then we hear news! It is to be made better! The people rejoiced! but then it was released to the people, Empires 2.2, but oh dear, it was terrible! Everything nice about the game was removed, skill was removed, so games became more boring and dull, but everyone hoped this was a mistake, and the people remained optimistic... and so on and so on...

soo, how did you find this shithole, comrade

2. beeng

beeng Member

Internets. Was bored and wanted a new mod to play. I vaguely remember looking at this when it was on 1942.
    I think people will bitch about the game no matter what is done. All the developers (developers developers) can do is hope to make a well balanced game that is somewhat fun to play.

3. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

the problem is, this mod was already at this point - its been getting worse

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It doesn't matter if you don't drop a roof rax, people will always go up there and request one (and sit there forever even if you say you're not dropping it).

As for your rush, drop a bunch of walls and turrets on the bridge between NF main and the city and, presto, you're team is stalled. I'd also get a few scouts/engies to go to city to sab/demo your stuff. Meanwhile, the rest of my team is taking the middle and your main (with a nice barracks above it).

I've done this to numerous teams who have taken the city first. It only takes a few walls/turrets to clog those bridges up, requiring your tanks to either take a potential suicide dive off of a cliff, or take the long way around from the north.

Moral of the story: You're strat only works if the enemy commander is not paying attention (which sounds like it happens alot for the comms you play against). The city is a less strategically important position than NW.

5. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

Ignore the city completely, try to get their team to use it as a main base of operations, and then nuke them to nothing

6. beeng

beeng Member

Perhaps...
    In any case, we all know that a game is only as good as its community. If that community is full of douches, the game will be douche... y... or something.
    Shutup, I've been drinking.
    <3

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Infantry gameplay keeps getting nerfed to no end, while tank armor and weapons seem to be getting buffed.

I dunno if the infantry nerf was a good thing, or if the tank buff was the right thing to do, but both seemed to really be extreme and people have felt the effects via frustration.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

No exactly correct.

Tank armor was buffed in 2.23. Nobody liked this so they nerfed tank armor in 2.24.
    In 2.25 also research for upgraded and advanced RPG will be removed. Bigger tanks will receive automatically more damage from RPGs.

In my opinion infantry anti tank weapons (mainly RPG) could be buffed even more.
    If you are a careful tank driver you will always be able to keep some infantry busy (even with a tank with plain armor).

9. beeng

beeng Member

In the "real world" (I know, it's a bad thing to say around here; it's 'just a game') tanks hate infantry of any kind. Infantry have a tendency of climbing all over your shiny tank and prying open hatches, sabotaging equipment, or placing explosives. Tanks should fear getting close to groups of infantry like the amish fear money.
    I find one of the most annoying things is how easily a tank can squish infantry. I can be standing beside a tank and somehow get squished while trying to place a sticky bomb.

10. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

Great place for not only commanders to learn, but the troopers themselves too! Its a great place for new players and old players as well as you can experiment freely with tactics and strategies if you want too. It won't matter as much since the server is called "Learning". Haha.

11. Omneh

Omneh Member

Because that makes sense. :rolleyes:

(BOLD TEXT)

12. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

i stumbled across a thread the other day that was talking about how rounds get one sided easily after you lose a forward rax and from there on out you are losing till you have lost and comeback is impossible because infantry sucks against tanks that have more than likely rushed ur base

i say we re buff infantry so that difference between comeback and losing is a little smaller (or bigger depending on your PoV)

srry if i am a little misunderstandurful i am tired

13. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I think i've just realised something

the reason the ELC is good is because it's like empires used to be, before everyone understood and got efficient at doing everything. And then expect everyone else to be efficient. does that make sense?

sorry for necro, this was in my bookmarks for some reason and i thought i'd add my thought for the day

14. thetim

thetim Member

Sandbag has a point. ELC is good because you don't have to be teh l33t to have a good game.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Unfortunately I still have problems on ELC because I just end up killing everyone and then I feel like I should be like, deliberately playing worse, but as I don't try to play well in the first place I don't know how to play worse other than maybe waiting five seconds before I shoot anybody, and that's just not fun. For some reason if I use the ARs I just massacre everyone on any server, my only conclusion is that nobody else knows how to use them or something.

Also I still often end up with a shitty comm or a shitty team and the game isn't fun then either.

It can be fun when you have two teams who aren't amazing but who both know what to do, but that can be had on any server.

16. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Whenever I feel I'm doing too well on the ELC, I simply play defense. This means setting up turrets and building random refineries. I'll very rarely participate in assault unless my team is about to lose and it's a last ditch rush.

I also really enjoy commanding on the ELC.

17. beeng

beeng Member

I'd like you all to know that, as of tonight, my love affair with ELC is over ;_;
    I find there are now butthurt admins on it that enjoy going on power trips. Listen to the admins and be subservient or get banned. It seems the dickishness of the overall empires community has crept into the ELC.
    Love is no more.

18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Are the good days of the ELC over?
    As I joined yesterday there where many vets arround which were playing like usual. I saw no teaching of new players.

20. Jonat

Jonat Member

To be honest though you only learn about the game when you jump head in and learn the nooks and crannies.