I love the Empires Training Center

Discussion in 'General' started by -=SIP=-, Jul 1, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Ok maybe one reason is, that you are always on top on the scores and also having 27 kills at emp_mvalley at defending the dam is also nice.

But the best thing is often fail team vs. fail team.
    So at the last round on crossroads I was teaching a new commander. He never was commander before and so we wasted a lot of time at startup.
    The enemies had already some turrets in middle and we also lost the forward barracks. So I suggested APC spawn and rush for the enemy cv. But APC was stickied and so we started turteling in main base. Next research was one arty tank for defend but also this tank died very soon.
    So we build up a maze of walls arround the last barracks and cv.
    Finally they had heavy tank but for any reason they haven't attacked our barracks. With some vets in the enemy team this round would be over a long time ago.
    And then one scout managed to sticky stun the enemy commander near our base. The heavy tank drivers stepped out to free the commander and failed. So we walled in the enemy cv and finally destroyed it. Epic victory!

Or another game at duststorm. I was commander and I tried to teach my team the efficiency of a DU APC rush. It was hard to get my team members into the APCs. But when you call them by name and give exact orders it will work. Also hard work is to get players away from the main action to the refs. But again direct orders to players was working.
    Finally we won with Ranged, DU, Bio ML BE-mediums. They enemy had regen-mediums but no refs and because of this also no tanks and end.

2. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

That's not what we want people to think about empires.

3. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Pwning beginners is a bannable offense on that server, you know :D

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i kinda like the "fail team against fail team"

it gives me an opportunity to try new stuff, play calmly and help players where needed and generally everyone is a more friendly nature and more fun is had

for example we had an light mk 2 + apc match and we calmly asked what people wanted and i researched it and people had fun with it, then when the enemy started artillerating us i quickly researched heavies and we hemg heavied them ^^

5. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Sounds like people are having fun. From my endless watching of the server, i haven't seen much raeging going on for awhile, the ocasional vet throwing words around like he's dominating then finding himself kicked happens too.

Glad to see people are liking the server, you can thank Coffee for the idea of the server. and tbh i didn't think it would work but helped out with the server in the begining and now that it's going, i'll keep it going.

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

But I also often tell my team members what they should do to win. And if they follow the instructions high scores are often the result of this.

So I would call it teaching beginners. ;)

7. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

I SERIOUSLY love how if you talk to the newbies, they listen.

2 days ago i managed to tag 4 complete newcomers that have mics (wow!) and made them join my squad.

Game #1: canyon, i started teaching all 4 of them basics, how to select skills, build buildings, dont fucking go scout, etc. etc.

Game #2: some map, i taught them about defusal, engineer tricks, and how to customize, build, and maintain vehicles.

Game#3: Coast. I first started them off by assigning classes, and explaining in detail how all the powers and unlocks work. We worked up around the outer rim, methodically destroying everything that we came across. eventually we hit a problem when we started encountering light tanks. I started preaching the method of expendable turrets: drop your turret, build it, leave it. Eventually, using the information about vehicles i taught them last game, i managed to get the team to co-ordinate 7 AFVs to rush at the same time against their comm. needless to say, we won.

Game #4: Mvalley, i got them all into the squad and started assigning roles. I told specific persons to go what class/powers, and off we went. We spent the majority of the game at dam and then the enemy base, blowing stuff up and moving along as one co-ordinated squad, reviving and going along. Ended in an EPIC AFV rush that was extremely well co-ordinated.

Game #5: Money. I assigned my squad to have 2 rev/1build/1 Lvl3/1Rofl and we rushed the enemy base. By that time we are truly working as a squad, fully understanding what is expected of them, covering the LVL3 engy as he built his turret up, reviving dead teammates, and then building the rax as the comm dropped it. We eventually got beaten back, but they were learning VERY fast.

Game #6: Xroads. We squadded up again (we were telling each other what teams to go on at the ends of rounds) and we has 2 LVL3/2Rev/1gren and we rushed the middle structure, with 2 level 3 turrets covering both entry ways. I was rushing around as a grenadier supporting them wherever needed. Eventually we have Bio med tanks and we rushed.

TL;DR: New people can be taught very easily, as long as you have patience and are willing to talk to them. By the end of the 4-5 hour playing session we have became the unstoppable killing force on the server, each knowing what role to do. I play with my clan members and the JPL guys alot, but this group of newbies rivaled ANYONE of them in co-ordination and receptability in just a few hours.

God damn, i am proud of these guys. They will become the new generation of JPL sometime.

In all: get on the noob server, start talking to some new people, and start grouping them and co-ordinating. Give them a set o rails to guide them, then take them away one by one as they discover this game. Befriend them, work with them, and DO NOT act arrogant or call them noob/newb or whatever.

START TRAINING PLAYERS, EVERYONE!

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Of course, we want people to think empires is about pledging our lives to the glorious leader of the team, we must not think of enjoyment, we must only do as the commander instructs, we must unflinchingly build structures the whole map instead of fighting enemies.

Empires isn't supposed to be entertaining, it's supposed to be character forming.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

all hail and glory to the commander! our caring benefactor who knows what is best for us!!!

anyway, the thing here is that people have been yelling that too much newbies in this game will ruin it, choke it on newbienism etc...

so yea... i think we should give mass newbienism a "controled" chance

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't get how games being 'newbieish' is bad.

I mean if noobs want to play like noobs and a lot of other noobs want to join in then all that means is a lot of noobs are having a good time.

There's a thread on the armed assault forums about how gamemodes which don't involve not killing anyone for five hours and following your squad leader around doing exactly as instructed are ruining the game because they aren't realistic or 'tactical' enough and they are so popular that nobody can have any fun games.

But they wouldn't be popular if people weren't enjoying them.

11. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

noobs noobs noobs

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I've taught a lot of people a lot of things on there in short amounts of time.

I think its a great thing for this community.

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Tavorich has the right idea.

Emp_Recruit #1 Trained.
    Emp_Recruit #1 Has trained Emp_Recruit #2.
    Emp_Intermediate #1 Has Trained emp_recruit #3;emp_recruit #2 has trained emp_recruit #4.
    Emp_Intermediate #1 Has Trained emp_recruit #5;emp_Intermediate #2 has trained emp_recruit #6;emp_recruit #4 has trained emp_recruit #7.

Noobs train Noobs who then train Noobs who someday will become vets.
    to train Noobs.

Yay!

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

but what if somewhere along the line a noob vet teaches a flawed game mechanic?

a genetic flaw as it were

without cross reference error checking the flaws will pile up and before we know it the mutations will have led to a new species

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, I think it is too. Maybe because it has dev backing people are wary of not being too hardcore there, unlike the old training server(s), but for some reason it's generally just a nice place to play.

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

More people are playing now. During the hey days of the training server, it might be the only populated server for a couple of days. Now that only happens in the wee morning hours on Monday through Wednesday. Its not uncommon to see 20+ players in both Viper and ELC (giving vets an alternative to the newb server).

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The ETC works indeed much better than i expected. Dunno where all those friendly newbies are coming from. The !manual command also really helps.

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

the empires training center doesn't really train people : /

It just teaches them the mechanics, not how to play

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hahahahaha really? someone "actually" posted that? oh hahahaha sorry guy that posted that but you didnt really think that trough ^^ *lols*

20. Dr. Rockso

Dr. Rockso Member

I like the server alot. Nobody yells at me when I stand around explaining things to the new guys and the no being a dick rule I think encourages people to ask questions since they probably wont get flamed to hell. Good admins too, havent seen any douchebaggery going on at all! But one suggestion/question: Any chance you ELC folks could start weeding out some of the "vets" (lol?) who sit in spec waiting to see which team is winning? Thats beyond pathetic to see happening on a newbie server. Normally I dont pay much attention to what these type of people do but due to the intent of the server I'd be willing to start sending somebody demos or whatever if it persists and you want me to.

I've been in some really fun matches there with new coms experiencing their first victories and doing quite well without a ton of ritalin addicts flaming them/second guessing them, good stuff.