I just fucking hate americans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sandbag, May 28, 2009.

1. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

I don't call that an American. I call that a moron who is spreading his terribly misinformed and totally irrelevant political "agenda" and has no regard for almost anyone but himself/herself.

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You realize he's right, don't you? If you idle in a server but alt-tab out of the game, you throw the operating system back into 2D mode, or at least low power 3D mode; the game reduces it's memory footprint and consumes little to no CPU time...thus, idling. I idle my PC overnight to let it defrag, do AV scans, if I'm running builds of stuff (especially at work, I fire off multi-hour builds before I leave for home.)

Better yet, look at stuff like F@H: that's a real dandy. Solving problems in the most inefficient way passible: a bank of IBM supercomupters would be FAR more efficient power wise, than having everyone under the sun run their PCs 24/7, loading both the CPU and the GPU with calculations.

You chose a bad rant...and that's not just the american mentality there. It's worldwide.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I always thought america exists to make us european look cool...
    D:
    ...D:
    "runs"

EDIT: I always read any post of someone with a cat avatar like the cat would say it

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

idling PCs do use less energy, no doubt about it. but having servers and PCs running without any purpose except to wait is still a waste of electricity. If anything it's one symptom of an extravagantly wasteful society.

vessboy, while the global climate does oscillate over large time scales, the rate at which it is now increasing is far greater than at any previous time in geological history.

what is more, one cannot escape the simple fact that the greenhouse effect does exist, and that by increasing the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere were are definately going to increase the temperature of the earth

sorry if I dismiss the methane pocket fact as not proving anything - is it meant to imply that our CO2 emissions are small or what? it doesn't really say anything.

The most convincing evidence isn't from my own interperatation of the scientific facts, as everyone seems to do. Instead of diagnosing myself, I tend to go to a doctor. In this situation, I look to scientists in the field. There is a big misconception in the general public that global warming is still being debated and analysed by scientists. This is not correct.

Just take a look at this quote from the royal society: "International scientific consensus agrees that increasing levels of man-made greenhouse gases are leading to global climate change. Possible consequences of climate change include rising temperatures, changing sea levels, and impacts on global weather. These changes could have serious impacts on the world's organisms and on the lives of millions of people, especially those living in areas vulnerable to extreme natural conditions such as flooding and drought." The royal society doesn't have an agenda, beyond the truth, and never makes such bold anouncements. While based in the UK, be sure that it is using information from scientists across the world, and that this isn't its "current stance", this is something that it has decided is fact. EDIT: perhaps I phrased that badly, obviously nothing is perfect "fact", but this is very much agreed on with experimental data to back up the theory.

It is in many parties interest, especially oil companies such as exxon mobile to give an impression that global warming and our effect on the environment is still a debate, and while people don't believe it to be fact yet, they can comfortably side with whichever will allow them a more comfortable style of life.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy, i'm really not trying to be. But it's a really serious issue and it hurts me to hear such opinions.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

People only accept change when it destroys their own life.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Because methane pockets never hurt anyone.

7. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Look at the bright side, our fossils will be propped in the museums & we'll be on two hour documentaries of whatever the hell takes over the planet after we're dead & gone. :p

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I'm just saying is, It's pointless to worry. We cant reverse the effect. all we can do is adapt. nd at a certain planitary tempreture the water cycle is excelerated and the planet becomes tropical. If people are unwilling to move to higher ground then they deserve to die. People who are unwilling to work to save there own lives deserve a watery grave.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Wow you are class-A+++ asshole

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Vess, There is a fucking huge difference between a old man who doesnt want to leave a home he has lived in for a great period of time, where he grew old with his wife and where she is buried, and fighting for survival.

At some point, it becomes too difficult to start over, and you just have to ride through to the end of all things. That man's devotion to his wife's memory and his love for his home are very impressive, even if they seem foolish to younger people who probably don't understand what it's like to lose something irreplaceable.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just thought you should get a round of applause after your performance :p

It was you! Why I autta...!

You need questioning, really. Something like "If the ceiling was falling on your mother, would you dive in and save her, if you could only take her place by doing so?". Gotta think about these things, because if you're safe how can you protect your family. Surely endangering yourself to protect your family would entail you risking yourself and thus removing your safety? You need to analyse your statement really ^^

Usually I say America has the best and the worst of everything, and I don't usually diss them, unless someone says something like this...:

Umm...British are british? Hate to break it to you, but the British are English, Welsh, Scottish and yae e'en Irish. I live in london, so I can tell you that British means even more as we had the Empire, being British means you could have come from a British colony - ergo, be Indian, African, South American, Canadian, Australian and many others. So, I know you meant well, but unfortunately, because I'm anal like that, I really wanted to point that out and laugh.

Mwahahahahaha! :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_British_Empire.png

*cough* America is going to get nuked, sorry we can't prevent it, all we can do is adapt. Please to be leaving your soon to-be irradiated home, or perish in firey death and glory.

Vess, you're a great guy, but if you're serious about that statement you really need to evaluate your view on the world. While all this green crud might not be preventable, and while I agree with a partial statement of "people who are unwilling to work to save their own lives, do not deserve to have them", it does not necessarily follow that people must move or die because we can't do anything about global warming.

Let's put this outta context, yo! There's a 9 year old girl who gets thrown out of the house by her parents, because they are abusive and alcoholic. The girl will die on the streets because she has no skills, however she can sell her body for enough money to live. You, Vess, see her on the street and know her story to be absolute truth. The choices available to you are myriad...do you help in the least bit, or condemn this person to a life of misery because you are not interested?*

It's pretty much the same, you don't know if your help will have any longlasting effect at all, unless you go all out and dedicate your life to raising this child. Which would be the equivalent of us shutting down every power station in the world, for something as peripheral as this child, aka climate change.

*(The third option solely for this wonderful community, because I know someone will say it, would be to make yourself her first customer.)

13. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I'm mainly refering to people who might die due to rizing sea level.

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Like those damn New Yorkers. Great food though....

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the guy decided to stay in his home to meet his demise, foolish and suicidal but understandable at his age

don't see why they called him a hero though, imo he chose the "easy" way

16. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Suicide by volcano. kinda emo epic

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I want to say two things.

firstly, in Britian, i have never met an american i didn't like. I guess rednecks don't visit Oxford much... still, they've always been really nice, sociable people.

secondly... damn. This thread is civilised. like, you would usually expect a shitstorm from just a title like that... good effort empires forums.

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Sandbag smells (starting the shitstorm)

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I was talking ethnically, not legal standing.

I had a few more things to say, but I dont feel like saying them anymore. Only that americans who call themselves pure bred americans are the ignorant assholes most people despise.

Ignorant assholes who hate the other world (particularly those who hate brittain) seem to have at least enough brains to not go to the country they hate.... :P

This thread seems to be about brits and americans now, butt out >_>

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I was too. I meant that a lot of those ethnic groups had come to the British Isles. As well as there already being 4 different groups here :)

But let's not argue about this, I've had my mean laugh already...