Get rid of mines - Everyone Hates Urethra Edition.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am one of the few physical disabled empires players, that's why I cling to the commander role. I am a valuable member of the team and a great asset, if not otherwise im just another faceless engineer.
    We are a very small group of people, but it warms me to see colorblind options in games.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Could you use texture mods to make the game more playable?

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Well that would be cheating.
    I'm fine though, I just need to get better.

4. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Basically you could remove all the annoying things like building, dying, walls, mines, mortar, artillery, apc spawns, weapons, respawning, collisions, maps and everything else, because all the features are annoying at times if you take them out of their context.

I could play Empires that only has jeeps and one map, but it's not really Empires then is it? And it would propably be too boring to bother playing.

OT: I really hate it when you join a server and all people do is complain how the game mechanics suck and then grief all game. That's what makes the game bad, the players that don't have anything else to do with their lives than go online and complain in voice chat how the game is shit and they don't want to play it. That's the only thing I could live without in Empires and it happens everytime I play.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

rofl when i get home ima whore that mortar and those mines so bad, gonna make you fuckers cry.... yeah.... :|ol:

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Mines are visible in EMP, that makes them not "too" OP.

I think the only things left to do is to remove these practically undodgeable mines. (Though only few players are competent to deploy them.)
    and decrease the max number for mine deployment, make it 5 or 6.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

But 7mines don't sound nearly as cool :(

8. ImSpartacus

You're right about certain entrances supporting undodgeable mines (nf vf?), but 9 mines are too important to lose. The simple solution is to make mines only trigger from vehicles. Grens are anti vehicle, right?

9. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

staaaahp

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

yes, mines for tanks only. agree. If you want anti-personnel get claymores.

I think having claymores in game would be much more terrifying. A trip wire that's nearly invisible and you can place the claymore anywhere... come on... that's some scary shit for troops. See a door.... keep on going past. lol

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

how do you feed poionts to the other team you actually get more points in return you fucking idiot. If the guy that dies is your squad lead which you can force and you revive him you get 1 point for revive + 1 point as squadpoint given to everyone in range in your squad, so that gives 6 points at most + 1 squadpoint. BITCH GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT

12. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I'll keep this short because I'm pretty busy.

As far as I know, level 3 turrets were not removed from district not because they were OP per se but because they completely stagnated gameplay. If you built a level 3 turret in a glitch spot, you could effectively lock down the entire middle map until a grenadier could manage to target you with an arty strike, which was actually harder than it sounds considering that you would be getting smoke/conc/HE nade spammed every time you peeked your head out, and that engineers could generally revive each other faster than arty could kill them all.

Besides, if you can't even assert that mines are overpowered, I fail to see how this "example" you gave of an overpowered game mechanic has any pertinence at all.

Arties almost definitely take about five seconds before it hits the ground, and for most players, getting a kill with artillery is more luck than anything else. I suppose that you could dual stack small arties or get HE arty to use them in a more direct role if you're good at that, but the argument could also be made that mines could be used as "direct fire", such as when I'm at dangerously low health, am getting pursued by a rifleman, and lead him through a chokepoint that I just mined three seconds ago while escaping through.

Scout is entirely absent from gameplay because his weapons loadout is more or less identical to that of the engineer's. The grenadier, save for the pistols, has a completely unique loadout, and removing the functionality he currently has as a "limited" anti-infantry class would make empires gameplay stale. If you were to remove grenadier anti-infantry abilities, everyone would go rifleman and engineer. For instance, if an apc were to rush your main, you would probably not go grenadier if his mortar were nerfed; rather, you would go rifleman to kill all the infantry piling out of the apc or to sticky it, or engineer to repair buildings and keep main base up. I don't buy this idea that a good player going grenadier accrues no opportunity cost; a grenadier can't build, repair, or drop ammo; a grenadier squad lead can't do squad revives behind enemy lines or squad heals, and a rifleman is still the premier anti-infantry class. It's really not that hard to fight even the best grenadier in Empires if you have enough people, because the mortar only fires one shot every two seconds; as long as you have some revive engineers and are willing to rush up when the gren is vulnerable, you will generally kill him. On the other hand, fighting a rifleman is a nightmare as infantry, and I really shouldn't have to explain why.

Etc, etc, this suggestion isn't going to get implemented anyways.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't know how you can compare mines and Lv3 turrets on District. One can be avoided, the other can totally outrange you and provide cover to whoever is providing it with essentially unlimited health. The only way to really take down a turret (reliably) on district is use squad artillery, and even that won't work in most spots. They're not comparable, not even slightly.

14. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Concussion grenade + any type of spam + explosive nades = dead turret

15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

For normal mines, they can be easily avoided hence yah, not the same as lvl3 turret on District.

But there are mines that can't be avoided. We have defusal but then that's like squad arty/lvl3 turret, the only solution to it.
    This is what we should deal with.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Better yet, why talk about District? If we're discussing the balance of a weapon in Empires, it should be in a map representative of the game as a whole, not chokepoint infantry combat. Obviously, a mine, which is inherently an area denial weapon, would be incredibly OP in a linear infantry map. On the other hand, so is the HMG, smoke/HE/conc grenades, level 3s, level 2s, cameras, squad hide and so forth and so forth.

Also, my definition of "overpowered" does not include anything that be overcome with a modicum of effort or tenacity. In a minority of cases, mines can't be avoided at all. These cases are far and few between. There are very few things that can objectively be called overpowered for all, or even for a strong majority, of cases. Mines are most certainly not one of them. For something to be overpowered, I would say that it is something that takes little skill but is effective against highly-skilled opponents. There is a degree of skill and experienced to lay down a proper mine field, to flip a vehicle, to do a proper 9-mine, and to aim a mortar. When you die to a gren, it's generally because they spent time practicing with the mortar, just like when you die to a rifle, it's because they've played their share of shooters.

Oh, that's actually another important reason to keep mines. They're the only way to get a comm off its back without using a vehicle and the only way to get it out of water/a pit period.

17. ImSpartacus

So it takes time to execute the anti-lvl3 strategy of squad arty when the opposing team is supporting the turret with cover fire and nade spam?

Well it takes time to execute the anti-inf-mine strategy of jump-over-the-mine when the opposing team is supporting the mine with cover fire and nade spam.

In both cases, there is a potentially frustrating counter strategy involved. Hence if we want to call upgraded turrets OP, but not mines, then the existence of a counter strategy must not imply not-overpowered.

My last line explicitly mentions that I understand that this example does not imply the overpoweredness of anti-infantry mines, it only implies only that the existence of a counter strategy does not make something not-overpowered. I don't expect a rudimentary understanding of logic from too many people on this forum, but you're one of them bro.

Barring the gren's insanely effective anti-infantry weapons, it's about as similar to the engy as the scout. Both have different skills, for anti-vehicle and infiltration, respectively. Both have different primaries, for anti-vehicle (& absurd anti-infantry) and infiltration respectively. The only difference between their fundamental purposes and the engy for the gren and scout is that the gren also gets anti-infantry abilities.

Honestly, I don't see why the rifleman needs stickies either, that's the gren's job. Is it so much to ask for two whopping players to defend against an entire APC as a gren and rifleman? This is a team game and teamwork should be a requirement, not a suggestion.

And in infantry combat, there's nothing wrong with a com ordering the use of the anti-infantry class and the support class. If the com wants to hedge his bets against an APC, he'll put a gren out there, but he needs to pay for that gren. When the gren still gets to have a damn good chance at ripping apart some infantry, the com isn't adequately paying for the anti-vehicle hedge.

18. ImSpartacus

Bullshit, there is a strategy to kill off just about any turret placement. They may require teamwork, but the strategy works. If you don't know the strategy, then I just tell you learn it just like we tell Urethra to learn to jump over mines. Sometimes it feels like Empires is shaped around what Trickster is and isn't good at.

If it's played on an Empires server, then it's part of Empires. I hate district, but it can be played with like four people. It's a necessary evil.

Of course we need anti-vehicle mines. The concept of a powerful manually trigger-able explosive is important in Empires.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  19. Neoony

Neoony Member

I completely agree with that....
    and....I dont like this thread xD
    All i see is whining...no real points

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  20. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I love mines the way they are now, and removing them is just plain idiotic. Mines are needed specially in the late game where rushes from heavy tanks, and the fact that 50 cal can rip infantry a new asshole in a matter of seconds(2-3 second usually) can eat through grenadier rather quickly. Take a map like Slaughtered, a well placed mine field can by a losing team time, and give them a chance to funnel enemies a certain direction.

Sure its annoying to step on a mine placed randomly in the middle of nowhere and yes nine mines are ridiculously cartoonishly explosive, but that's why I love mines in Empires.

This all was already probably stated by someone else but I need more post so theirs my 2 cents.