Fun projects

Discussion in 'Art' started by Coffeeburrito, Apr 24, 2009.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

yep do what DZ said, the less noticable the missing vertices are (for the distance the LOD is seen at) the better.

Edit: It took me all of 30 seconds to find this which explains it well. I don't mind helping people but I dont have time to do all the legwork either.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/LOD_system

2. chrono

chrono Member

you missunderstand what was my question about. the link you again posted does not specify it. i read it. i asked about polygon definition. flasche answered it good.
    i dont need to understand how to do LOD. while you discuss how to do it i already finished apc. i had the "polygon" question in my mind a long time but never needed to reduce polygons so didnt ask what it is. i had a feeling nowing about what is polygon will help. it didnt actually. the same concept stands.

im going to first do a model to each. currently i focuse on making it as low poly as possible which will stand at a point that if i reduce it more it will actually start to deform brutaly and will ugily noticable even from 300 meters.
    thats the state im gonna make for all right now.
    after each vehicle has something like this, then ill make more maybe.

flasche thanks for your information it was what i wanted to know.
    garritan, so if i understand correct, even thouh there may be squeres, they are interperated as triangles at the end?

lordz , your little toturial here is nice and good, but where the part that i decompile all the qc files?

i searched the source tool, the valve page ,
    where is a decompiler? is the compiler software also a decompiler?
    where do i get all files? up untill now i only used crafty to extract an obj file into blender. it doesnt give any other file

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I haven't read the entire thread but:

[​IMG]

I took this like 3-4 years ago, back when I re-fixed the viewpoint of the BE medium to be where it is now, after Arklansman did it and the 2.25 update randomly reverted it. If I remember rightly, it comes from messing with the turret eyes or something like that. In one of the patches, the orientation setup changed so the original coordinates were all thrown out. Essentially, the QC file you're using might be really outdated, so it might not be usable for compiling now.

4. chrono

chrono Member

its wonderful you havent read the entire thread, but reading it can help us, help you, help the mod.
    the more important thing is where are the qc files that CAN compile it.
    do you have that peice of information?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. chrono

chrono Member

commander done
    from 7814 tris to 5612 . thats for 80 meters medium range (first picture).
    player.jpg

medium.jpg

close.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Are the current wheels really that err.. blocky looking without the texture?

Btw it looks like good work... keep it up.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I wish Mash was still around. He redid the NF CV and tidied up the model a fuck tonne, it's just a shame that the textures weren't really up to scratch. Honestly, that's been a problem we've had this last 2 years. We've had 3D models from quite a few guys, but we've really been lacking in the texture department.

8. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

While we are on the subject on cv models... This has always kinda lingered in my mind. Due to the size of the image, it's hard to tell whether this is a higher-poly model than the final product, or it just appears that way due to bump mapping being very noticeable from the render. I'm guessing this is a high-poly model that had to be broken down in order to be compatible with Source. That being said... I wonder if this, along with other high poly emp models exist somewhere... or are forever lost in time. I really like the way it looks with such a simplistic metallic texture. I can see how this style would not look very good in Source though. I NEED THE STORY BEHIND THIS! GIVE ME ANSWERS!!!

9. chrono

chrono Member

actually, i didnt think anyone will notice, but if you are referring to the back wheel which looks blocy, then that one was an accident... i will correct it later...besides THAT, there isnt anything else i forgot.
    but ... if you are saying that ALL wheels are blocky then my friend , this is just the original polycount. i have not altered the wheels.

im sorry, i dont understand whats that mean. is that mean handling textures?
    anyway, you didnt answer my important QC file question from last time. and since i dont know how to extract textures from the game files into blender, i cant even try(which i have suceeded) to adjust the textures into each model.
    you also refused to give me any "source" file whatever that means, that supposedly could help me out do it...or lordz do it. as far as i read the threads in the forums, the developement team was(or is?) most responsible for not getting texture contribution. so lack of texture handlers is not a passive concquence by the devs. and it can be changed any moment.
    awaiting your files\qc-answer...

bananas are wonderful. i REALLY need bananas since i am a vegeterian. i cannot hold on to a banana without eating it. especially when they are ripe

10. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Is that Blender? An applied edge modifier and smooth rendering will sort those wheels out in a way that survives export. It would effectively double the vertex count for all the sharp edges though (where the smooth "middle" cylinder of the wheels meets the sloped open cones on the side).

Edit: Silly Mongo only read last page before posting.

Those "useless vertices" are exactly what I refer to above. To make models not look like blocky collections of triangles most 3d editing software (and engines) use smoothing groups. To make the model still have defenition and silhouette there are hard edges between these smoothing groups too. The vertices where smooth areas meet are doubled because the smooth areas belong to different smoothing groups.

There is very little performance gain in removing these "extra" vertices, and the models would suffer in aesthetic for it.

Most of the gfx load comes form huegemongous textures anyways.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Duke, the co-founder of empires, disappeared off the face of the earth. He also had all of the high-poly models. I'm citing eth0 on this one.

12. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

This explains everything. Your obsession with bananas means you are an ape. Though a more capable ape than most, an ape nonetheless. Noh wandurr u hav trubol wit teh ritings.

This makes me sad. Surely someone else who hasn't vanished must have a copy of those models. Right? rrrright guys?

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I didnt read too much into this thread, Ill admit that, but if we are getting a new nf cv model, dont you think it would be wise to make it not shitty and scale it down to match the be one?

14. chrono

chrono Member

yea... its kinda late knowing that now..
    thanks though.
    umm about wheells, its just copying other wheels and placing them instead.
    also, not deletig these vertices, it becomes a nightmare to edit the mesh. every vertice must be double selected,

15. chrono

chrono Member

please refrase...
    and you SHOULD read the thread.
    because this is no new model. it is a low polygon rendering options for distances. LOD system.
    scalig is possible.
    someone else think its a good idea to scale, or is the big scale good for distinguishing purpeses?

also, if the vertices are actually needed, then would it possible to easily make them with blender by extrude enter?
    or what?

16. chrono

chrono Member

17. chrono

chrono Member

i forgot its saturday and everyones playing

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it dont dare to criticise anything since i fear you go all "mimimi" again ...

19. chrono

chrono Member

this is not a thread about fears management, but since you posted about a personal issue, my only best advice will be to let go of that fear. beyond that, i posted all the above for constructive comments and pointers and participation. i dont see any reason to be afraid.

*i will not be able to continue about making LOD models, untill a person from the developement team communicate with me about the neccesity of the extra vertices, and if theres a need to make them in a certain way, if they do not exist

*rocket launcher BE viewmodel, sheild connected

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  20. chrono

chrono Member

i only now understood what you meant . and thank you for that. that pretty much answers the issue. ill just make it shade smooth then the according vertices should be exported according to this.
    by the way, i purposely posted images in a flat shading in order for users to actually see the structure and the differece i made.
    then again maybe it will be better to screenshot it smoothed for it is closer to the in-game resault?
    if i understand you correctly , again, the i can continue working on the models, removing the doubles, then the exporting should automatically create them (assuming i havent forgot to shade 'smooth')