Fun projects

Discussion in 'Art' started by Coffeeburrito, Apr 24, 2009.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Wait with advertising until the steamappid error is fixed or else nobody will be able to try Empires out. Freak.

2. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

3. chrono

chrono Member

this model had 301 double vertices.
    i removed doubles, now it is 150 or so, from 450.
    edges dropped to 500 from 700. and faces - the same.
    i think the vision is not as annoyed as before, without REALLY altering the model.

as you will notice at the third picture, the actual rpg and the crosshair is not even connected. like, floating...
    guess ill connect it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. chrono

chrono Member

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Are you a modeler? I have long had some ideas for weapon-specific models that get parented to the vehicle chassis. Rocket launchers are a great way to try out the idea because you could start with a simple box with holes in it, give it a quick texture and get it ingame.

No, you're the asshole. I agree that getting the word out to people is very important, but so is fixing this game. Perhaps adding new models sounds like something esoteric to you, but if done right, it can help the look and intuitiveness immensly.

That was 2010, when a certain Polish programmer thought it was funny to make Empires his pet project and veto every single thing that people wanted to add to. Let's just say that we're actually open to contributions now. So, LiberalElitist and chrono, if you're interested, be sure to stick around and we'll get you guys something useful to do!

6. chrono

chrono Member

im also gonna make a little reload animation for the rocket launchers!
    stay tuned everyone!...no big expectations though...

thanks beerdude, but i was already rejected by you devs fortrying to contribute. i dont need to impress anyone, or run after them .
    based on that, if only you people wouldnt be so cold and un-cooperative, contributions would have pushed empires even beyond the source engine. and even if i would belive you that "you are open to contiributions" which proved otherwise just a day ago, its kinda very late...this started like 2004 or something, so 9 years after that, someone opening up for contributions?
    im doing this for fun. so no orders from you, im finding things to do by myself. im not going to texture anything, and the rocket mounting on NF tanks im already doing...probebly will not implement it anyway...

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Are you really hiding your volunteering under layers of trolling are you're actually a grizzled old veteran already? From what I heard, you didn't get rejected yesterday but simply wouldn't wait until Trickster got back to you. And now, Beerdude was simply suggesting stuff and you go all out defensive and "I don't need shit from you" style.

Calm down, drama queens are overrated.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

... empires runz on drama... no drama lately = empires dieing.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Drama is nice if the structure can take it. Right now the structure is so wobbly that it needs cohesion, pronto.

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

2 things that stick out at me from this paragraph.

1. Creating a game involves working as a team. You might say that you wont take 'orders' to do something but the other side of the coin is that when you need code support (for example) beerdude might not want to take 'orders' from you (or someone else) saying that their pet project should take priority over everyone else.

2. Models without textures are no use, theres no one to texture them so they aren't going to be implemented.

Actually there was 3.

3. You say about adding rocket launchers to the NF tanks (do we even have the original model files for them?) I have a feeling that we don't, in which case it would need you to make completely new models to do that (since lets face it, reverse engineering someone elses work isnt good practice)

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You can always decompile the models, the results work fair enough.
    Editing existing models.

Going to go a bit further on this one..
    Taking the Brenodi medium tank as an example.
    [​IMG]
    We already have attachments for the turret. The Cannon is one such example. So, I say Mr Chrono, one awesome thing you could do would be to create different cannons for the different research items.
    So for the Cannons. (models/imperial/vehicles/cannon).
    Standard Cannon: Use the default one.
    Ranged Cannon: Slightly longer pipe.
    High Explosive Cannon: Slightly shorter pipe, a bit thicker. Maybe something like this: Photoshop Concept.
    Rail Gun: Rail 1 (this one would be really cool too Halved Cannon Rail)
    Plasma Cannon: (Something like this, but blueish? Blue stuff Cannon)

Use the current texture for the tank cannon, see if it still looks good after making the modifications to the cannon model, if it still looks ok, we can modify the texture later on without having to unwrap, etc, yadaya.
    [​IMG]
    The attachment is already there, so with a bit of coding (if then else, set modelName = "") and a few models this wouldn't be that hard to add. ;)
    [​IMG]
    I used the CS GO model viewer for the model viewer.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. chrono

chrono Member

rocket model

Attached Files:

13. chrono

chrono Member

reverse engineering is best way to learn and practice.
    practicing on creating something new on your own will require practicing creating somethin new.
    as long as editin exsistin models is possible with a satisfying boosting resaults...i stay with current exsisting models and modify.
    unless something doesnt exsist ofcourse
    models, that you play in game, can be extracted via software converter "crafty" or something else.
    you speak about teamwork? lordz so far has helped me more than all devs together. so far, teamwork that i suggested cannot be made. again not my fault. and...since when not taking orders prevents teamwork? teamwork can exsist from participating. lordz, is giving sugestionfor example...they can do that too. if devs wont take the models then they wont. i am not as passimistic as you and, having models is one step closer.

lordz - adding - its also easily possible to add models of rocketlaunchers based on number of rocket it carries (difference in the holes in its back, number of rockets...although i guess thats not really noticeable and such...maybe except a nuke...ittle be a big one hole :)...your ideas are good. give more when you have.

14. chrono

chrono Member

what i said earlier, did happen. its not nice of you to imply that it didnt happen although i said it did, just from "what you heard"

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Jesus man, I know we're not the most friendly bunch here, but honestly you're being far more rude than (almost) everyone else here.

16. chrono

chrono Member

i really cant see how i am almost the rudest person. its weird though that *I* am the one that is rude.

but you have good point in the fact the discussion has gone offtopic. lets make this a better thread by thinking how things can be done rather than how it cannot be done. the fact that the team has turned down constantly contributers, exsists throughout the forum threads, and throuh some active users that admit the case. lets have true cooperate then. all who wants to contribue, shall have full acess to whatever they need in order to contribute(something i didnt get). and all users opinions have same value as "developement" team. im open for cooperation then

and also, there is something really important that is constantly not being done, something that everyone can do, although i dont fancy. which is promoting empires publicly with a good edited video. or trailer. or whatever. recording games, from different users, then editing (i could edit them) into video that demonstrate (better) the complex fun that can be produced by empires. (also, sentances, a good source would be the "why do we play empires" thread which hosts some very promoting sentances and ideas that could be enhanced inside a video).

17. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Nice box, bro :p

18. chrono

chrono Member

freaknovich. check inbox

19. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Holy shit, I watched this reply turn from a simple "I disagree" to a whole textbook! Anyways, saying that "all users opinions have same value as development" is beyond wrong and statements like that will only make the the dev team less interested in working with you. The community can make suggestions and offer to help out, and it is the dev team's choice what happens next. Though we may not always agree with the devs' choices, there always needs to be some higher level management and decision making to simply get things done (You would have understood this if you ever had a job in the corporate world). The mod managers owe you nothing and simply joining the forum does not earn you the right to have your work included in the game, especially when you have failed to demonstrate anything exceptional.

20. chrono

chrono Member

so you intentionally didnt answer my pm to you then? you seemed eager to do something about advertisement i guess you dont want then.