Fun projects

Discussion in 'Art' started by Coffeeburrito, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, chrono, but maybe figure out what people/the development team wants or needs before spending time on these things or you might feel as though you are getting rejected if it doesn't get used. Maybe come up with some ideas, post them with a poll formatted using Spartacus' awesome guide (it will change your life), give it a day or two (or more!) to let people vote and respond, and then choose your project that way. You've shown that you are actually capable of doing something in this thread, so try getting the community involved now so that what you work on is something that people want.
    Considering what that post looked like before you edited out all of it (and then replaced it with something else(?)), it is not weird at all that you were the one who was considered rude. Seriously. Common courtesy can go a long way.

Also, it would probably be nice if in the future you uploaded your images to dropbox or some other service to host your images and then link to them instead of uploading them directly to the forums.

Freak's last post was spot on the money, btw.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. chrono

chrono Member

i dont fully understand your post...especially not the end of it. and i dont have much to say, except that alot was misunderstood or answered with previous posts.
    your suggestions is what im doing. if you have a model sugestion, please post it.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

This is probably the last time I'm going to reply here. It is very clear that we will never understand one another. I don't understand half of what you write, and you don't understand pretty much anything I write.

I am suggesting that you make a new thread with your own suggestions or ideas and see what thing people actually want implemented. This can include things that you have already started in this thread. You can easily do this by putting them in a poll, so people can vote on what they want. Because while you have drawn up very basic models, whether or not they make it in the game is up to the dev team (which you haven't seemed to really communicate with at all - for whatever reason, your fault or theirs) and there is still quite a bit of work to put in. This way you won't be wasting any time and people will see your work/ideas without having to wade through pages of posts.

I don't know if I can make it easier to understand, and I'm not going to try. If you don't get what I'm trying to say then feel free to completely ignore this post and have a nice day.

4. chrono

chrono Member

it is a shame you are reluctent to continue to reply, since this thread suppose to be about suggestion, pointers, it would helpif you did.

continouing along...

forgot to put another angle too.

Attached Files:

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Cmon guys, he develops AND produces drama.

It's like a perpetual motion machine for empires. Even if he's rude with his poor english abilities, he's is making a bunch of contributions that I personally think could help the mod. Who cares if he works on whatever and not on the number one priority? At least it's new content. If he textures it and does all the blimblamswishswahs or whatever you need to do to put it in game, implement it then.

Follow LordDz' example.

6. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I don't think you really read / understood my post. First its not passimistic its pessimistic. Second its being realistic not being a pessimist.

Ah right, so when you reverse engineer these models and add your own bits and pieces to them, who gets the credit for the work? Are these now your models or the previous contributors models?

I'm sure you wouldn't be best pleased if someone made a small change to your models which you spent hours doing then passed it off as your own work would you?

P.s. For the love of god please spell check your post and use simple grammar like capital letters at the start of a new sentence.

somethin -> something
    editin exsistin -> editing existing
    resaults -> results
    exsisting -> existing
    exsist -> exist

I don't like having to read posts and try to fix them in my head, I'm sure others are the same.

7. chrono

chrono Member

i feel again like the posting here is not directed towrawrds doing something, but torwards why things are hard complicated and impossible. i ask please from whoever view the thread to try help by constructive comments, and ideas to change and ideas how things can be done.

i very hope so that your statement is not in a sarcasm form intentionally. hoping you dont really spend time phrasing sarcasm sentances, i will try best answering. since you should know about licensing this mod (is there a license?) more than i, i think you should be the one to answer that question or ask someone that is involved enough in that field. i dont know. for the possibility you do not know either and ask me still, then from what i know about licensing that i came across, i can suggest that maybe if the person who gave the original models released them under a strict license, then contact him for approval. if he realeased them under a license that permits changin, no problem (but it is usually forces the other contributer to distribute his work under the same license). as for credits (which i dont really see as importent), you could (in this cases of altering instead of creating) add me to the list of contributers in general under whatever aspect i contributed in(in the general credit list). when, and if i produce "something new" credit them specifcly also.

realism is facts oriented perception. if you cannot see there is an advantage about having models untextured, rather than not having new models at all, then your fact oriented perception is not accurate, having a model is infact a step closer to completion, and thus is not useless. the lack of fact oriented correct perception leads to interpertation of facts, rather than spotting them, rather than see them correctly. in the presented case you interperated things, ignoring facts, to a negetive aspect. this state of mind, is defined, usually, as "pessimisist". that is why i said it.
    since you are one of the "people in charge" who should know about ingame structure, i do read your posts, especially because i hope, you maybe have a good idea, or a pointer, or a helpful advice. like lordz.
    i dont see model association so important. i do not make a fuss if someone is altering something i did, as long as the game is brought to a higher level of fun and gameplay by the alteration. i thin it would be inappropriate for a person, morally, to deny the fact that he used another person's work, and pretend its his. but then again, i dont care so much as long as the game is funner then it was.
    please note that because you said "im sure", even with the question mark at the end of your sentance, i mistaken it for a statement instead of a question(i hope i wasnt wrong).

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Chrono. Please look at the post I made and make a cannon :).
    /Thread. Don't answer anything else, don't respond to anything else. You're here because you wanted to create models for the mod and create some publicity for it. I'm giving you a chance to do that now.

So please, create a cannon for each of the research items.

9. chrono

chrono Member

im working on something. i havent forgot about your post(which you seemingly devoted time making)
    is this for the "thread" or for me? im also confused about the last sentance.

if you have more ideas (or comments on exsisting images i posted) please post it.

10. LordDz_2

I said it because I want us to focus on getting the models done, instead of arguing with each other and getting members of the community pissed of at each other because of language barriers and what not.

EDIT:
    I did some testing myself with the barrel of the cannon.
    [​IMG]
    Slightly shorter than normal, it rotates weirdly, I know.

11. chrono

chrono Member

i am confused.
    please explain WHAT exactly did you test?
    i didnt make any cannon changes. did you?
    elaborate

12. 101010

101010 Member

Wow....is that what that map looks like ?
    When ever I load it the textures are very reflective. Too the point it hurts your eyes.

13. LordDz_2

Yeah.. I managed to upload the wrong version of it to Vicky with the cubemaps built. (Apparently having HDR on causes the cubemaps to go apeshit or something).
    I will upload the new version soon.

EDIT: Now with the correct SHORTER version.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just need to get it to face correctly, starting to think this is done in the code.. Does the turret rotate around the way the cannon is looking? And not just the way the turret is. Because I get some very weird angles currently.

14. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I have few things to add to this thread before I'm done. Firstly, BEFORE making enhancements to tank models such as different cannons and rocket launchers, it is MUCH more important to provide LOD models for the existing models. Currently, the tanks have no lower detailed models for further range of sight like buildings and infantry do. Optimization of current models should be the primary focus, not making them pretty. Another thing about optimization, from I've seen in chrono's "enhancements", the models will produce an even lower fps than they do now. Making a box with geometric holes is terrible practice, and instead the holes should be illustrated via textures (which chrono already said he wont do... derp).

Last thing I want to say is to LordDz. It's great that you want to be helpful and you are a nice guy. Sometimes that might get in the way of your overall judgement and productivity though. You are so friendly and helpful that you might in fact be willing to help out anyone especially any 12 year old who installed blender for the first time last week (most like the case for chrono). This like this can really bite you in the ass in the future if you want to peruse a career in game development (which I know for a fact that you do). You have to be more selective about who you choose to work with.

Anyways, to chrono, if you really want to make important improvements to the models, make LOD models for existing tanks. If you manage to do a decent job of this, you have a much higher chance of having your work added to the game since it will improve the performance of the game and it is something I know that the devs have been looking for someone do for a while now.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

3 comments from me again

1. Personally im not fussed on changing the turret length on tanks.

2. Freak-Who DZ gives help to will have little to no impact on his future career choice.

3. The tank LOD's sound like a good idea to me

Edit: IIRC the tank turret rotation is done a really strange way, but I really can't remember many of the details, beerdude or possibly trickster might be able to help

16. LordDz_2

I'm just trying to get shit done. We've had one modeller in the what.. latest 3 years?

And I would probably think my future employers would like it more if I tried to work with people instead of saying "gtfo your shit sucks, flame flame flame".
    Still, I agree that Chrono's attitude versus people has been lacking.

I could probably look if I can make some lods, I have a vast experience in deleting vertices. However, the biggest fps-eater is the gui.
    cl_drawhud 1 : 50 fps.
    cl_drawhud 0: 70-80fps.

17. chrono

chrono Member

it lacks rudeness. and lies. only thing i did is applied messaging for helping the mod to be rejected, spoke my mind politely on some viper admins in a non constructive way, and posted some models editing i did to be laughed at by some. freaknovich posted a whole post dedicated to "laughing" at something i did. it is weird that the bad behaviour is mine. i only responded equally to those who "had an attitude"...

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Chrono please for the good of the mod and so you can get more experience, ignore every single post that is not LordDz'. Don't waste your time replying to anyone else, unless it's constructive criticism. MAKE MODELS.

19. chrono

chrono Member

yes, thats what i said, that im not going to respond anymore...

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think I might've seen something about rotation in the code before; I can take a look at it later tonight if you'd like.