Finally, a high PPI desktop monitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

GDI and Win32 font rendering is what caused lack of high DPI displays. Things would look like shit with them. Font rendering in Windows is clusterfuck of hacks that kind of work. Assuming you have screen with DPI around 100. I had a link to some font rendering library web site where it was all nicely pointed out.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

GDI and Win32 font rendering is what caused lack of high DPI displays. Things would look like shit with them. Font rendering in Windows is clusterfuck of hacks that kind of work. Assuming you have screen with DPI around 100. I had a link to some font rendering library web site where it was all nicely pointed out.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Peace through power.
    Kane rules...

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That's the only point I was trying to make, that you can make everything look like 2d cutouts and make you all dizzy.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

[​IMG]

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

http://imgur.com/a/qpGKy#0

That's basically what made me switch to 16:9. It makes a difference, especially in a game like Dota.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

How the fuck is 1280x720 showing more than 1440x900?

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Because of how Hort+ scaling works. The simplest way to describe it is that you imagine your screen is 4:3, with the vertical field of view locked. Then it expands out the sides until the field of view is right for your aspect. The higher the aspect ratio, the further out the sides it'll go. Because 16/9 is slightly more than 16/10, it'll show more of the sides. If you scroll through the images and pay attention to the vertical field of view, you'll notice that it's a constant amount.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Doesn't using 16:9 over 16:10 mean, your sacrificing quality for a bit more side viewing at lower resolution? I duno... I love quality high resolution viewing. Does it actually give you a huge advantage or is it just a slight advantage(with a huge negative in quality)?

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what quality? image quality isnt dependent on aspect ratio but pixel density.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think that may be the point. If the vertical view is always the same, wouldn't the screen cram more vertical pixels in a scene that's 16:10 compared to 16:9? Or maybe I am misinterpreting what viroman said.

12. flasche

16:10 does say nothing about pixels or pixel density.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

nope, you would be running 16:10 on a 16:10 monitor, the image quality won't be different there won't be any pixel cramming because pixels aren't being crammed, they have a fixed amount.

14. flasche

you dont run flatscreens on non-native resolutions :o

i still miss the image quality of CRTs, but the next monitor will have sufficient pixel density - on my smartphone its ok already :(

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I understand that, I'm talking about when you have a 16:10 setup and change it to 16:9 to get a better fov. Like what Trickster does.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You can keep cranking it wider and wider and it will keep showing you more and more of the screen.

Try setting your launch options to -w 2560 -h 1080 for magical wonderfulnesses.

At first, I was like, "did you even read the fucking thread?"

But then I'm like, "nice try, troll."

[​IMG]

You sure?

The textures have finite resolution. When you increase your aspect ratio on the same display, shit gets smaller.

When you get a smaller about of screen to display the same texture, you also have fewer pixels.

Eventually, you must reach a point where you lose some quality because you simply don't have enough pixels to display all of the detail of the texture.

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Not if it's 16:10 on a 16:10. It'd fully fill up the screen.

Now if you run 16:9 on a 16:10 and have the constraint that you want the entire game on the screen, what it'll do is essentially render it in 16:9 and then scale the entire thing down so the entire image fits on the screen, and then it'd throw the black bars on the top and bottom. You'll lose image quality on both the horizontal and vertical because of limited pixel density, but you'll get a greater horizontal field of view. If I have 1600:900 on a 1600:1000, that's 10% of the vertical pixels that it needs to eliminate to keep the vertical FOV constant. Most of the time for a video game, that's what you'd have to do because anything else will force the edges of the game off the screen. If I try to force 1080p on my 1600:900 laptop and say that I don't want any scaling for it, then those extra pixels simply won't appear on the screen and I'd actually get a smaller field of view because I'd be seeing less of both vertical and horizontal.

*For a given vertical field of view. The key part to all of this is that vertical field of view will never change no matter what. It's impossible to emphasize this enough. If you allow both field of views to change, then you get pixel-based scaling, where the amount you can see is directly tied to the resolution. For most games, this would be a bad thing because it'd obviously give an incredible advantage to players with higher resolutions.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

And this way they are giving an advantage to players with 16:9 displays. Altough that's actually OKish since most people have that. But it is just another detail to why competitive gaming isn't competitive because of the technical advantages some players have.

19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

And some people use better shoes in fotball, better ishockey gear in ishockey, better trained horses in horse competitions..?

20. flasche

its fun that the imo neglectible difference between 16:9 and :10 seem more of a problem then those "modifications" which give you a real advantage in empires (not wanting to beat a dead horse)

also, imo, a higher resolution - aka a sharper image - is way more important then its aspect ratio in case of 16:9 vs :10, but its really dependent on the game aswell. if you take battlefield you want super high res so you see farther, if you play dota its rather unimportant since you look at the ground from a fixed height (yeh i know you can zoom but what for?), if there really is an advantage in aspect i cant tell - id say its so little that its the least concern.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014