Finally, a high PPI desktop monitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Dec 26, 2013.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Only three years after Apple showed us that displays can look not like shit on the iPad 3, desktop users can now get something similar.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present you the Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q. A 4k monitor is nothing new, but this time it isn't a fucking ass giant 30" screen, but merely a 23.8" display, exactly the size monitors should be.

3840 x 2160 pixels on a 23.8 display make for a PPI of 185, which should be decent enough for a desktop. Text will finally look sharp on the desktop! Of course, such a brilliant monitor has it's price, at the moment it sells for 1200€.

Windows 8.1 already has good support for high ppi displays, but many programs are still not optimized for it (looking at you Steam). But this will change as more people get those kind of monitors. And yes, your next PC related investment should be this monitor, maybe Trickster will gift us one for Christmas.

Review: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5100/dell-ultrasharp-up2414q-review-24-inch-uhd--4k-monitor

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. McGyver

Also: INB4 Spartacus' PPI table.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

>Dell

Nope

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

lol u wot

Dell monitors are great. Their laptops are near indestructable too.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

come back when you have 400 PPI, then maybe I can read wikipedia without going blind.

6. BigTeef

I have had to deal with defective Dell products for years because my family is too fucking stupid to let me get their machines. Their laptops are complete shit, along with their towers. Okay sure, you can throw a dell laptop at somebody or something and it doesn't break.

BUT LAPTOPS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO BE THROWN AT PEOPLE.

I've had to replace a fucking mouse from these people and my mother only had it for a month. They should feed their fucking sweatshop workforce, maybe their products would stop being complete ASS.

7. McGyver

We are talking monitors here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

8. BigTeef

I don't trust fucking dell but im looking for something the same size of what I have now and not have lines going to the left of my screen whenever I look at something solid black or dark.
    Ive been to a few stores and saw like movies with frame rates that are like live action movement and I want something that similar for a monitor.

Or I clearly haven't watched enough bluerays and what I just said is made up.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you donate, maybe they will bump up the font size and *gasp* implement columns for wide displays!

[​IMG]

Those generalities are bullshit.

Dell does make some excellent professional-minded monitors (for professional prices), but they also make $80 TN shitheaps.

They also make some excellent high end laptops, but you have to pay Apple-esque prices to get them (because high end laptops aren't cheap no matter who makes them).

However Teef probably went to Walmart and got something from the lower end of Dell's lineup. You get what you pay for.

The announcement came a month ago. And it is something new because these 4K monitors run at the "normal" 60 Hz, unlike those shitty 30 Hz monitors.

They also have a "fucking ass giant" 28" 4K non-pro version for about 30% cheaper and another "fucking ass giant" 30" 4K uber-pro version with a price tag in the thousands.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  10. BigTeef

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you don't buy your things from canada compu-

oh wait you fags don't live where things are good.

12. Sitka

Sitka Member

6chars

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You know, I just watched a TV special on Costco that made it sound like a proto-walmart.

They talked about how Costco is the largest consumer of wine and they have tremendous pressure over the wine market. They can negotiate aggressive pricing for relatively high quality wines.

Then they gave weird examples in the store like this giant stuffed bear that the supplier wanted to price at $100, but Costco negotiated down to $30.

It really made me wonder if Costco is just a high-end Walmart. I know Walmart already has Sam's Club, which is very similar to Costco. So the business model of Walmart and Costco must be similar.

14. BigTeef

I don't know about sams club other than that people need to pay a membership to shop there which is bullshit.
    Sams club purpose was to provide service for small stores and businesses by selling average products at low prices.
    It was not turning a profit so it became more open to the public but kept the membership fees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Walton
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam's_Club

The best place to get good electronics at good prices is either Tiger Direct, Microcenter, and Frys. They offer the best equipment available at great prices and offer un-parrel customer service.
    I have never shopped at a Cost-co, I only heard of it through King of the hill.

Log cabins are the shit. They sure as shit catch fire pretty easy but damn are they comfy.
    And nice to look at too.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you catch your log cabin on fire you are a tremendous noob and don't deserve to be canadian. It's like complaining that windows gets BSOD, only noobs get BSOD.

Are you vexed?
    [​IMG]

16. BigTeef

You truly are a sub race loloollolololo

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

NO OOOOONNNNEE SPEAKS FRENCH TEEEEF.

18. BigTeef

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You are starting to anger me teef.
    [​IMG]

20. McGyver

Hello people, this thread is still about high PPI monitors, not Canadian idiosyncrasies.