Empires 2.6.2 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Heavies are SOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOORING.

At first I was all for the idea of slow heavies. But holy shit are they boring to drive. And tedious as fuck too.

Also, grens rape the shit out of rifles and scouts now. Scouts can't get close enough to hit, rifles can't dodge mortars while firing.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

called it

you cant even outfit a medium with full reflective, lol. its just a smaller afv

all these changes suck balls and ive been away for 2-3 versions.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

lmao spartacus for your reliance on spreadsheets you obviously dont pay attention to them
    mk auto cannon negates improved std cannon completely. why is it there? i dont know!
    its also better than ranged cannon in every way! (except for heat, in which there is negliable difference) it has more ammo. travels farther, faster, does the same damage and weighs less! ONE SLOT WEAPON WOO

are you not paying attention to the shit you add? if i cared to look at the other weapons id probably see the same thing

4. Empty

Empty Member

You have a lot more time to play than I do, and you don't specstack like I do which is a good thing. I've been heavily focussed on testing weapons and strategy in game, which has also resulted in a lot of maps where I've sat in spec because I've either been discussing changes with people or the current map has no useful information for me to test. On top of that my hours tend to line up with empires having around 20 people online so it's a lot harder to get games where I end up with huge kill counts.
    Finally, nobody fucking commands so I often end up stuck in the seat.

Anyway, next patch I'm reverting smg1 because people just can't appreciate a buff. It worked before and it works now but everyones buttmad so I'll change it back.

ARs are getting more moving accuracy since as candles states, grens have an advantage at mid range since riflemen can no longer dodge.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

But when I said mortar OP....

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I am saying it again: Grens would not have this advantage, if the mortar required some actual setup time, but eh...nobody wants to touch that, because apparently quick crouching and firing is completely balanced.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Problem is, people in charge really like the mortar, maybe except for Sparty but he was prohibited from doing anything to it so....yeah. Just don't stop moving or else, that's how it's been forever and it doesn't look like it's going to change.

8. Empty

Empty Member

If people threw this much of a wobbly over smg1 what makes you think mortar would go down well at all.

EDIT: and smg1 wasn't even a nerf

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah, but sometimes you just don't have to give a fuck about what people on this forum say and just do your thing. I learned that a while ago.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I did that too and it's resulted in continual harassment in and out of game.
    It's all good on paper but when it starts interfering with you getting to play the game it kinda starts to suck y'kno?

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd like to back up my QQing over SMG1, after the spread tweak it's a pretty good defensive weapon. The second shot in the burst (that you keep firing, and the third, and the fourth, because HOLY SHIT ROF) doesn't go to the moon anymore, so hitting things is actually possible.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

But it gets 2 extra plates and much better weapons. Reflective was changed ages ago so it weighed a tad more but had more hp, I think the overall hp was increased a tad.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im totally confused by research atm. yesterday i was playing on spartacus team, he was comm and after the team couldn't handle his reseach he asked for aomeone to take over so he could kick some ass. anyways, the team still couldn't put it to good use and constantly complained about how they want compo, rails and "a useable engine" (guess what, we had fission at that time)

after our team got their shits together we eventually won. anyways the main issue at start was a different perception of how the round is supposed to play out. spartacus plan was fast apcs to get into their main, while majority of our team was mainly after shooting eachother. i still hope for the day when people realise that with such incredible amounts of players as its currently, being able to play the game already is a victory. maybe we should rethink the mindset of winning is what counts for a few iterations. maybe more "normal" rounds will keep players.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's not an effective solution for the mortar, that's why. Oh it might work on a mechanical scale but the problem with that kind of thinking is no one wants to play like that.

You guys aren't thinking about who will actually play, you're just taking a very narrow view. Until you expand your focus you can't help the issue. That's the truth. What Candles said is another example of why something mechanically working does not always work with the game. You have to take the view from what you would like to play WITH, not what you hate playing AGAINST.

This always could have happened, and was likely to. There are other options, such as making heavies actually heavy only regarding firepower, not armour. Or gimmicky/hokey things we could try such as locking/limiting a heavy tank's turret rotation, so it would have to turn the whole tank to fire in a direction, rather than just the turret.

Shoving numbers in and getting product out is the reason we've had a lot of these issues for a long time. We need to start getting creative. There are a lot of old ideas that would be good now, too, that might bear re-examination.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

A good weapon needs to be both fun to play with and neutral to play against. I was talking to Empty last night about how even though you can run 'n' gun as an assault, I'd rather be able to do it as a rifleman because it just feels better and it's more enjoyable, even if I'm not as effective.

A delay on the mortar isn't fun. It tedious, it's boring, it destroys any chance a gren has at killing an enemy rifleman. Mortar is already hard enough to use, just because it's strong in the hands of a person with a modicum of skill doesn't make it OP. If you're still really good at rifleman, you can try and take potshots in between mortar shots or just back the fuck up, and scouts can try dodging the mortars while using p1, but right now the balance has made the gren at the strongest at the range most Empires combat happens at.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm not saying I have a solution, my opinion is just that the mortar is too efficient against infantry targets. I do enjoy me some mortaring action though - it's pretty good at 1v1 combat and gives you anti-armor capabilities, unlike a rifle.

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That was a "non-standard" research path and I lead poorly. Our team needed to be rushing cheap vehicles almost constantly, but they just didn't. That research path was only good on open ground where you can move. The only open ground on that map is in the main bases, i needed my team to push into their (large) main. They just turtled. We had a massive stockpile of res in the first part of the match and it drove me nuts.

Nf had enormous gaping holes in their main (glycenpass's main is absolutely enormous) that we never exploited.

It doesn't hurt that I honestly don't know the map well. That was admittedly my second time commanding it. I'll definitely be trying new strategies if I get the chance to com that map again. There are a lot of options available.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You go fire that thing against campers and tanks then .

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

itt bad players whining about mortar

its very weird how i play engy as much if not more than gren and never have a problem against mortars (my hate is reserved for rifles and shotguns)

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont know the research we had, it was the 2nd day playing since the last 3 patches for me (its easy losing track of version numbers now, thats a good thing though)

i dont think your general reserach assumptions were wrong - i mean in the end if anyone should know about reseach its you - thus why i first trusted your input more then the teams but after i realized they simply play differently and wont put the items to use as intendend i skipped to their research demands since in the end you alone wouldnt have wiped the floor with nf.

the round went on for an hour after you left btw. it was some very intense fights. at least from comm view.

also failing in trying to run over candles while dropping buildings and research was very enjoyable.

all in all i had the most enjoyable rounds of empires in years in the last two days. maybe i should excuse myself for all this stuff i threw at any of you. i still disagree with certain directions, but i also cant deny that you brought a lot of fresh wind into this rusted game and even though its not the big throw yet its really noticeable how certain aspects start to better.