Empires 2.6.2 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Changelog:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Note that because of how Steamworks is configured, the map cfg files will not update themselves and existing installations may have issues with the tutorial. It should work for new installations that get the new cfg file.

If you're especially curious, you can replace the contents of emp_tutorial.cfg (in SteamApps\common\Empires\empires\cfg) with the following:

Code:
    closecaption 1
    emp_sv_wait_phase_time 1
    emp_sv_respawn_penalty 5
    mp_autoteambalance 0
    jointeam 3
    sv_lan 0
    hostname Empires Tutorial
    DU had a really ruthless falloff. It's way too inaccurate for that. Also, I forgot to increase the minimum damages, so there's that.

I've wanted to increase Std ML's total ammo for like 4 months. It's shameful that I kept forgetting until now.

I figure we oughta not tie ourselves down to any one number of MLs.

We also need more 1-slot weapons. I've been sitting on these for a while, but people keep asking for 1-slot weapons, so we'll release a few. There are two more that I'd like to introduce, but they weren't ready for prime time. I don't like adding truly "new" weapons if possible. It's confusing for players to see weapons that don't resemble anything previously offered. There has to be a pretty gaping hole in the lineup (cough*nodps3slotmls*cough) to bring in something entirely unique. In this case, we're lacking 1-slot weapons, so there was a hole to be filled.

FN initially suggested a 1-slot guided ML and I wasn't terribly enthused at the time. I was testing some things with Lazybum and it sorta clicked that it would be a good way to have both a 1-slot weapon and a non-salvo guided ML. On an LT, it's roughly the right damage for a "balanced" guided-type missile and on larger chassis, it's easily stackable for a weird middle ground. In my opinion it's still not as good as guided salvo, but people will probably use it to snipe so that's neat.

As far as the weapon, itself, this is just std ML with guiding. I think that oughta be a good starting point.

In this state, Plasma ML is just a hot DPS-minded 1-slot ML. Nothing too special.

I'd like to make it a little bit more unique, which is why I wasn't in any hurry to release it, but we'll see what happens.

I think the idea of an auto cannon is a pretty old one. I'm sure numerous people have independently come up with a similar idea. Spartacuspires had one that was rather ridiculous. I'm sure there were others as well. However, Spike made one that is pretty close to something that could be put in the game with a few tweaks. The idea is that you're putting out ER-like dps (and a lot more heat), but only until the clip runs out. The damage/heat ratio is the same as standard cannon, so it might end up feeling more like standard cannon than intended.

This style of weapon is one of the reasons that rail gun cycle time was increased to 1s a few months ago. I feel like weapons with different cycle times "feel" different and can cause gameplay that is paced differently. When you're throwing plasma shells at the enemy, you can dodge in and out of cover. When it's rails, you generally have to stay visible. Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't. We'll see what happens.

I wanted to wait on releasing this until its speed could be increased. I don't figure that it oughta be as fast as rails, but it oughta be speedy. In additional, it would be nice if we could properly have a "no gravity" cannon that doesn't drop, but I suspect that's controlled by shell simulation and we make a habit to not go there. What we have today is a good compromise and I'm all about compromising.

So I flat out derped and seemed to miss that there are quite a few weapons that don't use spod. Thank god that no one noticed that brittle was pretty op. This is beginning to get rather elaborate and we may have to rethink how this stuff is working. I don't like resistances in general and made an exception for two armors, but it's getting weird.

I've been wanting to do this for a while.

I've always stuck with no more than 4-5 plates on the back of my heavies, so I feel like this might actually be a practical buff to heavies. Part of the "slow" heavy idea is that heavies oughta be tough, so I think it's alright if they get the option to be a bit tougher in one circumstance.

This also gives poor grens a guaranteed weak(er?) spot to target. Eventually, we might accentuate this weakness in other ways, but we'll settle with baby steps for now.

It seems like players really really like fast research. As it would turn out, the "flat" nature of this change made it easy for servers to "roll back" without any ill effects. Unfortunately I didn't really get to play a solid match with this kind of pacing and that makes me pretty sad. I love testing this kind of thing and figuring out what works & what doesn't.

Some people were like, "Spartacus, if you wanted to do this, why didn't you increase research times non-linearly so servers couldn't undo it?" My intention is not to make people angry, especially not generous server owners. I understand that some players don't have the same testing spirit that I have. We may revisit this later, but I recognize that this is a fundamental change to how the game is paced and it's not to be taken lightly.

Script Changes

Vehicle Armor

• Absorbant
      • Bioweapon Damage Modifier 0.65 -> 0.35
      • InfantryMineResist 0.65 -> 0.35
      • InfantryStickyResist 0.65 -> 0.35
      • InfantryMissileResist 0.80 -> 0.20
      • InfantryMortarResist 0.80 -> 0.20
    [/quote]

Ok, so it's important to remember which way the resist formula goes when you're setting up resists or else bad things happen. I'm glad no one seemed to notice that Absorbant was horrifically broken. Whew.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. complete_

complete_ lamer

you should have reverted

stupid heavy change. other stupid changes

i love how its a change youve been waiting to do for a while. loved how you never ever mentioned it

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I WARNED YOU ABOUT THOSE RESISTS, I WARNED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other news, guided ml works better if it's just one strong shot, or barring that make it faster, like an extra 1000. Becomes much more usable. I personally seen nothing wrong with putting a grens rpg on a tank. It makes sense at least.

I'm not sure how the heavy change affects anything, except maybe compo and abs. Oh and budget, do people bother with that one?

I thought spikes 3 shot version of the auto cannon was really nice. Actually it says 60 damage and a .5 sec cycle time, that's a typo right? That's absurd otherwise.

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

[​IMG]

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Let the haters hate, I like the changes.

8. Empty

Empty Member

what the fuck are you doing
    are you retarded

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I just want to say, smg2 is all you ever need.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yup, im joining Mcgyvers club.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

remember those days when smg1 and 2 were perfect

remember when spartacus made that one not bad release

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

No, I actually dont.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

because noone ever says anything nice. whatever you did to tanks, they handle really well now. i think this goes to spartacus, but ofc all who are involved aswell.
    fantastic job.

dunno if this really is related to this patch, i dont drive much.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am guessing this is the logic (which I really don't approve at all) : Wanted to implement something for reasons => The feature is working as intended => Gameplay improved.

I am sure the new SMG1, or <insert any change here> is working as intended, but has the gameplay improved? The old SMG1 already fits the description of your #90 reply in 2.6.1 patch note, so there's really no point at all.

Do it step by step, not 50 script changes a week.
    You guys are now spending a lot of time to fix your previous mistakes.

Not to mention that a perfect script is really NOT the thing that will bring us more players.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I just want the old guns back.
    They worked fine before people tried to re-invent the wheel.

16. Empty

Empty Member

People will always complain when the OP weapon gets nerfed because now they can't kick ass with it any more.
    Does that mean they're right? Not by any means.

I might end up putting smg1 back to how it was, everyone seems to be too fucking stupid to handle it, in my hands it's been a straight upgrade but nobody else can figure out how to tap fire so I might as well put it back. In this case I'll listen to popular opinion because the weapon wasn't OP or underpowered. Whereas with rifles I'm less likely to do that because I'm pretty sure half of the complaints are people upset they can't win every fight without thinking.

32 pellet shotguns and garands firing buckshot are coming back
    everyone can thank teef

17. flasche

scunt rifle is fine - standing, mobile ADS accuracy lacks a bit though, took me 5 bullets to hit the pixel i was aiming at.

:3

18. Empty

Empty Member

If I could I'd probably turn scope sway off entirely, it just irritates me.
    The damage is already pretty nerfed and it shoots slow. It's very very niche the way I balanced it. Good vs riflemen but not much else.

Head hitboxes are fucking tiny in empires which doesn't help.

19. flasche

for gods sake dont, its way too easy to use as is*. i only stand still for the second i fire, if at all and still get somewhat resepectable kd-rates, especially if you consider i mainly use it on less suited maps like district or dumb maps like money and my aim is by far not at the level it could be if id play day-in and out.
    (also noscoping still is pisseasy** if you ever played quake, its like a weaker railgun)

*but that has more to do with the scope itself and less with damage
    ** in relation, ofc in cbq you still get mown down by anything 95% of times. but at close med distance its not as useless as it should be

20. Empty

Empty Member

maybe you're right
    i don't really have strong feelings on the matter, I just like having it available if I need it.

I should probably play with it more, I've played significantly with most of the weapons except the scout rifles and smg3+shot pistol (because NF is literally always stacked)

I learned some secret things about the BE Heavy Pistol yesterday on district, I though the heavy pistol still sucked but then I found out you can fire in bursts of 3 and do insane damage with good accuracy.

Machine pistol is fucking fun though. Some people QQ about it not being able to fire straight but if you treat it like the NF shot pistol it's actually quite the rape machine.