Empires 2.6.2 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Feb 12, 2015.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Are you guys really going to go down that route and on one hand complain, that you can't kill a gren with a mortar when you are a rifleman and on the other hand say that you don't want to nerf it because it's fun to use? What?!

A mortar should never be a weapon you use in 1 on 1 infantry combat. That's not what this thing is intended to do. It's basically supposed to be a siege weapon. Basically like an arty tank for infantry. If you want something like that, you might as well just add a grenade launcher.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Who cares what it was intented for six years ago, if you take out the mortar you're going to get a gigantic backlash that is going to drive a lot of people from the mod.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Or people adapt to the new conditions, switch to rifleman, and realise they are even better against infantry.

And then when tanks come round it forces a switch, instead of your plain armour AFVs rushing into four grens who were clearing out all the infantry already.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Exactly. I don't really believe we would loose a major part of (what is left of) the community if we would do this.

5. Empty

Empty Member

1) If I remove mortar I believe people will track me down and castrate me forcibly
    2) I don't want to remove or nerf mortar because it's fine.

I say this all the time, if you want a realistic mortar go play ArmA
    If your brain can't handle the concept of the empires mortar, just pretend it's a grenade launcher.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

If you already want to treat it like a grenade launcher, why even still have the restriction in, that you have to crouch or prone when you shoot? In reality that isn't and never was a real hindrance to anyone using it. You might as well just remove it.

7. Redskull

Redskull Member

Reality ≠ Empires

8. Empty

Empty Member

You complain about the mortar and now you want me to remove the crouch restriction

Do you have any idea how absurd the mortar would be if you could use it sprinting.

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That wasn't meant as IRL-reality. I meant it as "in reality while playing the game"
    No I don't in fact. Can't be any worse than it is now.

10. Redskull

Redskull Member

Ah, my bad.
    Isn't this the way it's always been though? It's true that the mortar works in most situations, but I believe adding restrictions to it would just serve to make it less fun to use.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm pretty sure it's what Krenzo intended it to be. It used to be a lot more powerful tbh.

People have actually stayed to play with this weapon at times. It's literally the most innovative weapon in Empiresmod, and is quite ingenious, not to mention fun to play - and to play against.

I've probably gotten killed more times crouching to take a shot then you've gotten killed in Empires in total. It gets me killed a LOT. It got me killed at least 5 times yesterday in urbanchaos - and I've been playing for 8 years now and should know better.

The only argument there has ever really been for mortar is to reduce its damage to about 85HP - so it's not an instant kill. Even then, on urbanchaos yesterday I must have used at least 200 shells over the course of the game, and you'd better believe I didn't get 200 kills with it. Closer to about 30, actually, almost 15% effectiveness. From a veteran player. Am I the best mortarer out there? No, I'm decent. But I still know the weapon inside and out, and if that's my effectiveness I think that's a pretty high skill bar for the weapon tbh.

Btw, empty, smg1 is insane. It's fun as feck to play with, but it's totally insane. Maybe if you drop the rof by about 20%, drop the damage by 15% and buff the clip by about 5, it'd be a bit more moderate. Assuming the rof is about 200% or more than smg2.

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just keeping it because "it has always been like that" isn't really a valid reason anymore with all the changes happening recently.

Might also just be that I am just bummed about the damn thing in general, because I was expected to somehow make working animations for the damn thing without that wait time, which is pretty much impossible.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I've grown to accept the mortar as-is too, I use it myself to good effect, and at least somehow know how to dodge it. Yet, I still think it's too efficient.

And while we're on the "intended" topic, why do we care about mortar being as intended but not the average game length, for example?

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Perhaps there might been a better post to quote, but whatever, so

A simple guide to not die to the mortar

1)dont get tunnel vision
    2)move to the side
    3)dont keep walls to your side or back

There, enjoy not dying to mortar

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

/facepalm

Firewarrior was going on about how a mortar is SUPPOSED to be, so I rebutted with the fact that the weapon is as it was intended to be. You can't then go on about intended, lol. And we've already given good reasons for its existence.

Btw, we care a lot about average game length. If you look, we've basically spent a lot of years trying to make sure it doesn't end too soon, or last more than a couple of hours per map.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i was going to ask, is the shotgun pistol supposed to fire 2 shots in rapid succession? if not then i have issues not to fire both shots at once, not always, most of the time though.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

That's super basic, I'm sure there's more to it as I know those already.

@Ikalx: Yeah, but the games are still shorter on average than the intended, was it 90 minutes? Anyway, I'm not too good at compelling arguments, I just keep promoting my gut feeling about mortar. That doesn't mean my gut's right, though.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the best counters to the mortar/grens are higher ground (angles), long distance (mortar range and fly time), jeeps and fast tanks (to run them over). isnt it awesome that vehicles counter the anti vehicle class?

also i have to agree with candles. slow heavies didnt work out, we have to admit that. on a bit more open maps even a nf med can easily take on a heavy in 1on1. while i like that in general, it doesnt tie into what heavies are in empires.

and please do something about regeneration - its just rediculous how much it improved the survivability of tanks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  19. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Spartacus did that for some reason in like 2.5.8. He changed it to full auto and lowered the cycle time, which is really dumb if it's a 2 shot weapon. I hate it honestly, the really short cycle time makes me fire off the second shot by accident like you. So now I have trouble fighting more than 1 person or if I accidentally miss the first shot.

It's easy fix, just make it semiauto again.

Also remember to jump if someone is shooting mortars at you, if you time it right you can get a free ride straight to them so you can deliver a courtesy punch.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

I wish I recorded that one time where I got boosted directly into the gren for a midair melee kill. That was at least 3 years ago though.