emp_money_revisited Feedback thread

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Trickster, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The south roof offers just as many when you jump out of it from the gutter bit. I may add a couple of intermittent ladders in though.

And like I said, haven't seen how arty affects the north bridge yet sadly.

2. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tactically, the middle spawn is a disadvantage for the team because it acts as a ticket bleeder, and not to put words in your mouth, but seeing as its supposed to be a noob friendly map, and this noob attractor spawn in middle discourages people to get tanks which = ticket bleeding from nadeboats...

Not a good combination, I think that middle should just be health n ammo or a small resource advantage

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i think that putting a spawn inside the bunker is a total joke. When enemy captures it, theres virtually no way on earth for enemy to cap it becuase of the defensive bonus for and short walk from spawn to the front line for defenders.

Its like " Take middle forever" button that just waits to be pressed

either remove the spawn or make 2 such bunkers to even the chances

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I always lost FPS' near middle and I can also say that capturing middle was impossible after the other team got it.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i suggest moving the actual "flag" on top of the bunker, and ofc making it accessible and the spawn stays inside

6. Trickster

As I said on the first page, the bunker will be far easier to cap on the next version, so no more discussion about making it easier because it will be a lot easier.

The spawn however is up for discussion.

The main thing I have against the spawn is simply that it's in the center of your screen, so when the map comes up, you often accidently click it. I will probably remove it, but there will be no chance of adding resources to it. I'm totally against that.

7. Trickster

Ok...the map seems to crash servers sometimes.
    Also this comes up in the client console:

***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_80_1988_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_80_1988_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_56_-1877_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_56_-1877_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_61_2985_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_61_2985_453
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_287_-5925_-1083
    ***need to set $abovewater for material maps/emp_money_revisited_r1/lostcoast/nature/water_ati_287_-5925_-1083
    ***need to set $abovewater for material lostcoast/nature/water_ati_beneath
    ***need to set $abovewater for material lostcoast/nature/water_ati_beneath
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_01_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_02_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_03_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_05_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_05_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_03_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_01_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_canal/refinery_02_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/buildingskybox_002a.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_buildings/buildingskybox_002a.mdl)

Important?

And any ideas why it might crash?

8. Icely

Icely Member

Just an idea, it might be the two levels of water. I understand that expensive water can only have one level in view at a time. I've never tried it though, so I don't know if it would cause a server crash. But, if you used expensive water and both levels are visible at the same time it might be worth looking into. (I don't expect you did, but thought I'd mention it on the off chance it helps.)

As for the vphysics errors, I've never had any problem arising from them with skybox props. However, they're easy to fix by changing the collision detection for the skybox props.

9. Demented

Demented Member

The former seems like a property that's missing in the .vmt for that water texture.

The latter is just what happens when you set a prop's collision to vphysics when it doesn't have a collision model. Set its collision to none or bounding box and that will go away; for skyboxes, I prefer none.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the crane is a special entity iirc, didn't have this problem when I put one in canals.

The water is just the vmt doesn't have an above water texture set, which is why the water didn't run properly when you were working on it before.

yes, both are important.

That or you have to just use a prop_dynamic for the cranes. Look up cranes on the dev wiki, they have some special things going on with them.

the crash may have something to do with people driving into those cranes. Try and see if there is a particular spot it crashes. it may also be a bad displacement, which does not have an error message, it simple CTD.

another note

make sure that you check off the flag that makes dynamic props or the crane prop not have any effect when you press E. Otherwise you can press E and make it fall off the crane stand.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You might want to restrict engy buildings in the middle building.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, the enterprising parachuter can get onto some of the boats without dying. You may want to extend the kill brush up a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Omneh

Omneh Member

Is it me scardy, or is there something different about your player models... :D

Do want.

13. Trickster

Both already fixed in the next version, which I actually planned to work on today.

Shit, I have no idea where I put my to-do list.

Oh wait, first post

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

15. Trickster

Ok right, seeing as 2.25 is coming along, it'd be nice to get this fully done for that. But I lack time this week, and with the deadline coming up, I'm looking for someone to spend maybe an hour just brushing it up. I can compile if need be. Supposedly the crashing is fixed in 2.25.

To do list:

Sort out HDR. That is what causes the lag, and if you change HDR mid-game it'll keep the low FPS. Probably requires env_tonemap_controller.

Seams in some displacements - This has been reducing me to tears it's that annoying. I can't work out how to fix it, but I want it fixed.

Extend 3D skybox in other directions to wrap it around completely

Fix railing supports - I did a 2 minute job on them and they look horrendous, but I don't want the railing texture used, that's even worse.

Move the actual spawn dot for the centre bunker if possible. Still spawn there, but I need the circle to be moved so it's not directly where your mouse is when you bring up the minimap.

Removing some cranes? Idk.

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I can work on it. Just PM me a link to the VMF. So you basically want:
    1. Less blinding HDR
    2. Fix displacement tears (where are they on the map?)
    3. Wrap 3D skybox
    4. New texture for railing supports
    5. Move bunker spawn dot (I don't understand the problem here, but I can move it)
    Does that cover it?

Also, do you want me to fix some of the things I pointed out earlier (i.e. extend the water killbrush up, nobuild brushes in the bunker, etc.)?

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what does "wrap 3d skybox" mean?

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Canals is better :o

19. Trickster

Scardy, I did all the killbox and restricting stuff myself already.

Blizzerd, the (awesome) 3D skybox you made is awesome, but it only extends out of the "dock" and in the dock, it looks as if there's nothing there behind the bases, which is kinda bad D;

I would PM you, but steam friends has exploded. Btw, the displacement tears are fucking everywhere. Well every single "ramp". They're all done as displacements, so they don't line up with the horizontal platforms. I'll show you if steam fixes itself.

All of this shouldn't be more than 60 minutes work imo.

Also, fuck your canals.

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If you name this emp_money2, Empires complies with CSS. dust and dust2 suck yet people seem to want to play them, just like money!