emp_district

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by zachtos, May 15, 2006.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That's fantastic stuff solo, I can't wait to play the new version.

2. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i think all the maps use that, for slaughtered i copied the lil pad that the res spot stand on, from crossroads.i noticed when i did that , that it was a func detail. i wouldnt be supprised if that entire center structure in crossroads.uses func detail as well. i changed them to normal brushes after i converted them to my map if i remeber correct as well. ill have to go in and make sure i did again tho.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

can anyone tell me what the differences between func_detail and normal brushes are? what are the (dis)advantages?

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Func_detail brushes are used on small details in maps such as light fixtures, crates, cilinders and such things.They don't cut up the visleafs(blocks which determine what you can and cannot see).Normal brushes are the basic brushes you create with the block tool, they cut up other brushes if they touch them and divide visleafs as well.They are used to seal levels from the void outside.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  5. Caelo

Caelo Member

so basicly when you look at a building in emp_district, it also renders whats behind it?...

whats up with the smoke then?

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The smoke is an env_smokestack, its supposed to simulate a chimney.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

no I mean the smoke grenades... does using func_detail and smoke cause the "lag"?

8. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

though func_detail brushes are only used on small details in normal maps, in a map that is wide open like my map, emp_cyclopean, I made every single brush except for the skybox that seals the map off a func_detail because of the fact that func_details don't split one another up into pieces like world brushes do.

In a map like district, however, if vis is run full and the map is optimised well, the smoke will be cut off by the world brushes.

I believe that the 'lag' associated with district as soon as the server fills up is the large amount of detail in such a small space. The main reason the game lags is because of the maps design which funnels the action through one big chokepoint and wherever the teams meet is where the fighting starts and usually stays. The lag is caused by the MASSIVE amount of player models in such a small space. You would be suprised how quickly player models (up close) can slow down FPS.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. Caelo

Caelo Member

and how does this all crash the server? because that only happens when someone throws some smoke grenades

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The server can't cope with all of the lag, the client and server info sent to both of them gets too high, the server overloads and crashes to prevent pernament damage to your computer.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Nah, it just crashes because some check for some value == true. It's to prevent server executable from eating all RAM/CPU.

halbalbador: It's not cut at all. Everything is probably one big leaf.

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'm done with stage one of district's conversion. Everything that could be fixed has been fixed. I added in a system where after the last cap point is taken of either team, that team will have to retake it within 30 seconds to prevent losing the game, after than they lose. This allows amazing comebacks.

13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That sounds like a silly idea. Why not just make final cap take longer?

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Its there to prevent BE rushes and to give both teams a chance.

15. ^Dee^

The same could be accomplished by increasing cap time while at the same time making sense.

Your choice I guess. I just think it's a bad one.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There is no need to increase the cap time any longer. Giving BE/NF 30 seconds is bigger chance than just a big cap time IMHO.

17. ^Dee^

it's the same thing. Only this way, securing a flag isn't really securing it at all =/

Just doesn't make sense.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

No, to secure the flag you need make it neutral (10 seconds) + capture (5 seconds). I can be wrong.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Only the first and last flags have such a system, and only works for 1 team. You'll see how it works when you play it.

20. ^Dee^

That's why I said to increase to 30 or 45 for these flags.